Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 02-04-10, 02:45 PM   #1
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Kentucky Lake in April

My first tournament this year is April 10th, and 11th at kentucky Lake. We are launching out of the dam ramp. I am heading down on Wednesday the 7th to pre fish Thurs and fri.

I have never been to KY Lake before and had planned on fishing as a co angler but, after last nights meeting, it seems there may be more co anglers registering than boaters so I may need to go as a boater. Bear in mind that I just bought my Champion a month ago and have not set it into water yet.

has anyone been there in April? if so..how was the water clarity down there...average temps? I'm not askin for anyones honey hole but maybe some hints on places that are not woth motoring into.

Spawn? Does anyone remember when the spawn started and ended last year?

Locks? is there any locks on the lake?..Never locked through anywhere before either.

I am buying an Ohio, kentucky, and Indiana license this year so...will my Kentucky license be enough ? or will I need a Tenn license of some sort? We are allowed to fish kentucky lake and Barkley.

Thanks,
Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 05:04 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ky fishing lic is enough,can fish in ky all over the 10 percent of ky lake that is in it,and bays,then all the way down to Paris Landing on the main lake,but not bays.
Water is extremely rough 2 1/2 fters usual,quite windy,normally a 20 ft boat is considered min to run here.
One has to run so fast (52mph on mine) to top the waves out,going slower gets one wet from spray,spear one and you get real wet.
Many small motels near the dam ramp,shallow water abounds here,can run aground in the middle of either lake Barkley or Ky.
Gps showing depth contours is almost a must,or a very good insurance policy.
One needs to know what their boat can and will do or should do,if not leave it at home,if you value it.
Format sounds like ABA weekend series
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 06:19 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I fished at the get together last year upper KY lake, may 15ish and do remember getting 1 nice bass off the bed....so at the very least they were still spawning then. Unusually high water that trip, there were reports of limits coming off of childrens playground swing sets and I was fishing where dry land had been.

You should have enough water to fish in kentucky that there would be no reason to take the day trip south to tennessee, or go through the lock below the dam. Might ought to research going to lake barkely though. I dont think there was a lock, pretty sure on that...a canal connects the two. Never made it across to that side myself, it was rough and I dont have a champion, lol.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 06:54 PM   #4
lilmule

Barkley does have an interconnecting canal,unlike ky lake near the dam is extremely shallow where the canal comes out at,channel markers are sparce house foundations abound just under the surface.
Many years ago tva flooded these resivoirs used for flood control and power production,no dredging occurred so they are not deep except in the old river channel,complete towns with foundations still existing and in some cases train stations or grain fact buildings appear above the water level.
This is more evident the farther south one goes,up in ky its the unseen house foundation that can ruin your day.
Imagine a submerged island that exists from 1/3 out to 3/4 way out ,a back channel near each bank to run,and a main channel where the river was.
You can see where you want to go but going there in a straight line isnt advisable,at winter pool and summer pool in many places.
354 is winter 359, is about summer,all maps depth readings are at summer pool.
If much above 360 then can just about ignore most of the submerged islands other than tree tops.That time of year normally has the picnic tables submerged.
While you may like it and cannot travel south much it is nothing like the fishing down in tn.,as not enough grass to fill a bathtub.
From say 15 miles below paris landing towards the dam to 45 miles south are grass and mussel beds,and frogging is a top method once it tops.(july,aug,sept,and even oct)
Got my last frog fish actually in nov,this year.
Old 02-05-10, 01:18 AM   #5
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
has anyone been there in April? if so..how was the water clarity down there...average temps?
Yes, fished there twice May and June two tournaments but not in April. Toward dam is more clear than the south.

Quote:
Spawn? Does anyone remember when the spawn started and ended last year?
Haven't try there in April, would imagine they would be spawning around late March throughout April due to long winter this year.

Quote:
Locks? is there any locks on the lake?..Never locked through anywhere before either.
No locks.

Quote:
I am buying an Ohio, kentucky, and Indiana license this year so...will my Kentucky license be enough ? or will I need a Tenn license of some sort? We are allowed to fish kentucky lake and Barkley.
Takes about an hour and half to get to TN borderline from dam. Dam to TN line at Barkley, farther than hour and half. Yes, have to have TN license if your going cross the borderline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00561.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	4674  
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 10:20 AM   #6
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replys folks. I am looking forward to it.
I did not know about some house foundation barely underwater and other hazards...I'm looking for a nav chip to help me out.

Ron
Old 02-05-10, 11:28 AM   #7
lilmule

On Ky lake your ky lic is good on the main lake all the way to Paris Landing and the 79 bridge,considered a reciprocal area between the 68 and 79 bridges.
Barkley does not share that or the length limit for smallies ,ky lake is exempt 15 in ,barkley and tn its 18.Your ky lic should be enough.
As for the time it takes at 60- 70 mph it takes about ,1 hr-1hr15 min to get to Paris Landing,Ky lake,considerably less just to get to the tn line.A lot of that depends upon the boat and the driver.the tn line starts just on the left side right after the 68 bridge- a 20 min run again your ky lic is good on ky lake from there to the 79 bridge.
That would be a very long run for someone who doesnt know the lake.

[IMG][/IMG]
Your ky lic is good to this,the 79 bridge,on the main lake.
Spawn will be in effect ,lasts longer than most think but mid may its over.Expect water to be high ,generally is.
Jerkbaits,traps,blue and chrome,bandit 200,rubber color of green-pumpkin.
That time of year cannot envison anyone having to make the trip to tn over on barkley where they would need a tn lic,if needed an no bite on ky yes fish barkley but no need to travel that far,it takes about 24-30 gal of gal depending upon the boat,to get to the tn line and back(Barkley) if from the ky village dam ramp.
And Barkleys channel is smaller and less friendly,than even Ky lake.
Dave Stewarts reports on Ky lake.com will be applicable for your trip.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-05-10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 04:38 PM   #8
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I fished at the get together last year upper KY lake, may 15ish and do remember getting 1 nice bass off the bed....so at the very least they were still spawning then. Unusually high water that trip, there were reports of limits coming off of childrens playground swing sets and I was fishing where dry land had been.
Lol I remember that part of the year. I won a tourney off of a submerged campground. Biggest fish came off of a grill. Also found out that if the oppertunity arrizes that fishing a burnt out fire is the way to catch a quick limit. Craziest day of fishing in a long time.

As far as KY lake goes specifically. The spawn started around mid to late march last year by started I mean in full swing, but will probably start a little later because last years winter was a mild one compared to this year. The fish should be on bed in April anyways.

Your KY license is good in Tennesee for 2 miles over the border due to the KY, TN mutual agreement, but to open up more waters to yourself I would go ahead and get the TN license especially if you're a non boater, it would just be wrong to limit your boaters options on where to go.

Water clarity is going to depend on what part of the lake your in as well as the weather. It's usually stained with visibility around 1' to 1.5'.

The only lock is on the dam and I don't know if it is available to recreational boaters.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 02-06-10 at 05:02 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 04:43 PM   #9
TN_Bassin

Also that is one hell of a Smallie BassBandit
Old 02-06-10, 05:01 PM   #10
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Lol I remember that part of the year. I won a tourney off of a submerged campground. Biggest fish came off of a grill. Also found out that if the oppertunity arrizes that fishing a burnt out fire is the way to catch a quick limit. Craziest day of fishing in a long time.

As far as KY lake goes specifically. The spawn started around mid to late march last year by started I mean in full swing, but will probably start a little later because last years winter was a mild one compared to this year. The fish should be on bed in April anyways.

Your KY license is good in Tennesee for 2 miles over the border due to the KY, TN mutual agreement.

Water clarity is going to depend on what part of the lake your in as well as the weather. It's usually stained with visibility around 1' to 1.5'.

The only lock is on the dam and I don't know if it is available to recreational boaters.
I was fishing some walkways when suddenly I realized that that grey pipe I just cast over was conduit, and I was bumping a submerged electrical outlet with a crankbait...

good thing this didn't happen...
Old 02-06-10, 05:06 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

Quote:
I was fishing some walkways when suddenly I realized that that grey pipe I just cast over was conduit, and I was bumping a submerged electrical outlet with a crankbait...

good thing this didn't happen...
That could have made your day pretty rough.
Old 02-06-10, 05:45 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
That could have made your day pretty rough.
Actually...he was in no danger at all unless he was wading.

It sounds scary, and caution around electricity is always good, but underwater is about as close to earth ground as you can get. Besides, the overcurrent protection on that receptacle circuit almost certainly tripped out the millisecond water entered it.
Old 02-06-10, 05:55 PM   #13
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Actually...he was in no danger at all unless he was wading.

It sounds scary, and caution around electricity is always good, but underwater is about as close to earth ground as you can get. Besides, the overcurrent protection on that receptacle circuit almost certainly tripped out the millisecond water entered it.

Well yeah, thats what I was telling myself...you still dont trust it....haha.
Old 02-06-10, 06:01 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Well yeah, thats what I was telling myself...you still dont trust it....haha.
Yeah...playing around with electricity is one of those things where you know the truth, but you're never brave enough to prove it to yourself. It only gets proven by accident, as in "oh my god, I'm still alive....I guess I was right!" haha
Old 02-06-10, 06:56 PM   #15
lilmule

You are correct in that spawn started about mid march last year, mid april it was about over,and that high water existed,generally does.
Last year feb 5th it was 70.5 ,this year 33.5F ,so actual times varies a bit every year,ask a guide they say first of april.
As for the reciprocal agreement you are incorrect,its not a mere 2 miles,the state line starts at the east side of the 68 bridge and runs at an angle starting at lbl side and ending many miles farther down on the west bank in whats known as Cypress Bay.
The agreement lets one fish on ky lake several miles farther upstream from that (about 5 miles) to the 79 bridge.I havnt gone to the trouble of measuring it but that over 40 miles from the dam,and over 20 from where the state line starts across the lake.
On Barkley there is no agreement,cross there and one needs a tn lic,and 18 in smallmouth.
Ps I live here,and no wouldnt make a run from the dam to paris landing area to fish,but its legal to do so with a ky lic,its also legal for me with a tn lic to fish the main lake to the 68 bridge.
As for submerged electrical outlets at campgrounds regardless if in ky or tn they are on a gfci breaker,and most likly was tripped long before you went around it.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-06-10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 08:01 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
As for submerged electrical outlets at campgrounds regardless if in ky or tn they are on a gfci breaker,and most likly was tripped long before you went around it.
It is a code requirement for them to be on GFCI, but don't count on them actually being on one. I have actually had people complain that their GFCI breaker keeps tripping, and asking me if they can just put a regular one in so it'll stop...

I love this...they are experiencing a potentially life threatening fault in some device they have plugged in, and instead of being thankful that the breaker is keeping them alive, they find it annoying. Look folks...throw away your $15 Wal-Mart box fan and get a new one...I'm sure more than a few "smart" people have changed them out themselves.

All that being said...even a non-GFCI breaker will trip if the receptacle is submerged hehe....I think it's safe to say the non-fault current is going to be more than 20 amps (GFCI breakers trip at 5 mA or 30 mA fault current).

By the way, Lilmule...you seem to have a pretty good handle on KY Lake. Mind if I bother you to death this year for advice on it? haha...I'm going to be going there at least 5-6 times this year for sure.
Old 02-06-10, 08:20 PM   #17
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a question. How did we go from a scouting report on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes to Electrical 101?! It is so funny where some threads start out and where they end up.

I drove past Kentucky Dam this afternoon and every gate is open except three. It is unreal the amount of water that is coming through that dam per second.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 09:59 PM   #18
lilmule

Yes unreal winter pool gates open and a lot of rain 211,000 cubic feet a sec,makes for a tad bit of current as well.
http://www.tva.gov/river/lakeinfo/index.htm can give links to reports and the murry state water station as well both are applicable to the ky portion of ky lake
You want to send me a map will mark holes as well,and if you get time swing down my way about 1 hr south will show you some real fishing,braid,stout pole needed have frogs will travel.
Yes agree,your even correct on how many miliamps,was a licensed master elect myself,retired,also correct in how many want you to circumvent their safety.
Fish here have to be 15 in but yet 15 in fish wont win much,just a start and gets one on the board.
Fish like this or better will

Last edited by lilmule; 02-06-10 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 02:43 PM   #19
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info, and damn those are nice fish!! and i surely don't mind which way a thread
I'll definately email you a map section.
Old 02-08-10, 06:06 PM   #20
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
As for the reciprocal agreement you are incorrect,its not a mere 2 miles,the state line starts at the east side of the 68 bridge and runs at an angle starting at lbl side and ending many miles farther down on the west bank in whats known as Cypress Bay.
The agreement lets one fish on ky lake several miles farther upstream from that (about 5 miles) to the 79 bridge.I havnt gone to the trouble of measuring it but that over 40 miles from the dam,and over 20 from where the state line starts across the lake.
If you would take a look at a map of KY lake with the state lines and a pretty good scale on it you would find that Austin Peay Memorial HWY(HWY 79) bridge is only two miles over the border. The HWY 68/80 bridge is a little over two miles and yea you are right that the border kind of stradles KY lake but that is well within the 2 miles that the reciprical agreement lays down. It may stradle the lake for 40 miles or whatever you said but unless the lake is 4 miles across in that area it is fair game for anyone with a KY, or a TN license.

As for what you said about barkley, the two miles still does apply there but a much larger portion of Barkey is in KY than in TN I think the cut off on Barkley where you need a KY license to fish from TN is Barkley shores I think I might be wrong on the location. On the Tennessee side I am sure that anyone with a KY license can fish to Bumpis Mills on the Tennessee side.

I will try to find the Recipricol agreement on the TWRA website and post it. In applying the agreement I think KY, TN officials agreed on what landmarks to use as the cut off point rather than gauging what is or isn't two miles

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 02-08-10 at 06:45 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 09:59 PM   #21
lilmule

Your correct in stating they made cutoff points those being the 68 and 79 bridges.So really doesnt matter if its 4 miles past the line or 2 miles or 22 miles its the two bridges that define it.
If fishing barkley I normally have a ky lic as well as fishing out of the dam area,and never worry about where that line is at,as not well defined.most likly the bridge or thereabouts below it and bumpus mills ramp dont know.If theres any place you will be checked its on Barkley and more for short under 18 in smallmouths than any fishing lic.On Barkley where that line is at on the lake is where they will check for those smallmouth any under 18 in is a fine.The agreement doesnt count towards any 15 in smallies,and relying on a 2 mile give or take will get you in deep do do.
Im not from here moved here two years ago,but fish ky lake about 3 times a week from march to dec,as live within 5 miles of the lake.I also asked wheres that line at,they said doesnt matter where,68 to 79 we both own it,I suspect they went those extra miles to have an identifying landmark.
Being of an odd nature I asked why the dip anyway,why shouldnt we own straight across,Benton would be in tn then,no one as yet has answered that one.
look at the map of ky,tn _/-- ky lake is the slanted line.
From a fishing standpoint one lic or the other depending upon where the launch is at could be all one needs for any T at one time,unless one just likes running over 40 miles.
Most of the time from here I run 40 more south,not north.But do fish out of the dam ramp and barkley so do buy a ky lic as well,as standing in ky at weigh in time.
One also has to keep in mind good main lake only if wanting to fish blood river you need a ky lic,same with bays in tn ,a tn lic is needed,those of us that live here normally do get both.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-08-10 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 11:36 PM   #22
TN_Bassin

Yea the smallmouth situation will get you in "deep do do" indeed. It doesn't matter where you caught it if you're in Tennessee the smallies have to be 18". As for the reason for TN not having a straight line for a border my theory is that the old timing prospectors had a compass that didn't point north.
Old 02-09-10, 12:00 AM   #23
lilmule

Actually ky lake is exempt from the tn size limit of 18 in,its 15 straight across the board here,If I were fishing Barkley near the tn line id have a tn lic as 2 miles either way is line of sight here,and once that line is crossed tn regs have to be adhered to even though your lic is good for to 2 more miles.Barkley just isnt as user friendly.
In contrast the area thats covered on ky lake by the agreement is quite large ,containing more miles than the say the distance from ky dam to the 68 bridge.Having the same size limits or lengths and a larger area makes it more user frendly overall.
Seldom do I pass one end from the other as not needed,and in april with 35-40 mph winds most wont either.I feel comfortable going about halfway,somewhere the P factor kicks in.22ft boat,95 in beam and a lil old man driving it or trying,it takes 52 mph to top them out.
Ive gone out on plane in 3 fters came back in hrs later in 5 and off plane.
If you think the wind is blowing when you start it really licks up about 1 hr prior to weigh in.
Also own a lil 20 ft allison 60 mph is tops here unless you like airborne.
It is a rough lake,but one of the best fisheries ive ever fished,sometime if nearby give me a holler.South young man go south.
You wont find this up in ky.
Old 02-09-10, 01:32 AM   #24
TN_Bassin

Hmm didn't know that about KY lakes smallmouth limit. When I'm up there I am usually not near any smallmouth. I usually stay in the kind of stuff in your picture. So the question never came up for me whether or not a smallie had to be 18" there.

RonB I hope all this information satisfied your curiosity about the lake. If you have anymore questions I'm sure Lilmule can answer them. He really does know a lot about the lake.
Old 02-11-10, 10:48 PM   #25
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info folks!!
The lake sounds fantastic to me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.