Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 03-10-10, 09:02 PM   #1
HaydenBassKid
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lake Gunterville,Goose Pond

Ok so I'm going to be fishing March 27 on Lake Gunterville in or around Goose Pond So if yall know what bait's to use and depth of water and part of the lake to fish can you help by telling my so I want go zero that day.
HaydenBassKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 09:06 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been hearing lipless cranks have been killer in the Al this time of year, not sure where (depth and whatnot), as I don't live there.
Old 03-10-10, 10:14 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Hayden, aren't you friends with bama? And all this time I thought he was kidding when he says he doesn't catch any fish.
Ask Lisa, she'll tell you where to fish
Old 03-11-10, 01:17 AM   #4
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Hayden, aren't you friends with bama? And all this time I thought he was kidding when he says he doesn't catch any fish.
Ask Lisa, she'll tell you where to fish
They ain't friends.. But your right about who to ask.

It's Bamas nephew, poor fellow.
Old 03-11-10, 01:38 AM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
They ain't friends.. But your right about who to ask.

It's Bamas nephew, poor fellow.

Haha! On both points!
Old 03-11-10, 06:59 PM   #6
bamabassman

Yep mallen haydenbasskid is my nephew, a fantastic kid for real. He is entering his FIRST tourny and we are going in da RAJUN CAJUN. We are gonna be launching outta GOOSE POND COLONY, and are wanting as much info as possible. I talked to ZOOKER today heath, he told me we need to fish off the banks twice as far as we were (10-20 ft of water) till the water warms up more and the fish start making beds. Shaky heads, lipless cranks (rattle traps), and jerk baits seem to be what we need at this time, and watch the water temps, fronts as we get closer to tourny time. This is our FIRST attempt at a tourny gang, so ANY help will be greatly appreciated, WTL, you grew up here so what ever you can add is needed. It ain't time for the lizards yet i don't think, but that can change quickly we all know. I am gonna start really looking and asking some locals what is happening too. Wish us luck gang. FIRST place is $1000.00 bucks. Maybe we will win, but i just hope we don't embarass our selves, haha. Well.... me anyway. THE KID can fish gang.
Old 03-11-10, 07:41 PM   #7
bcklash

A fisherman can't embarass themselves, we lie to well.

Debi: How many fish did you catch?
Lash: none
Debi: What were you using?
Lash: Threw everything in the tacklebox. Nobody was catching anything.

A BIG LIE--I threw nothing but my favorite crankbait and everybody else was catching fish.
Old 03-11-10, 08:51 PM   #8
MallenManson

Best of luck guys!
Old 03-12-10, 09:23 AM   #9
Bob Smith

The weekend before your tournament is going to be a huge amateur tournament called the Big Bass Splash, put on by a Bob Sealy Outdoors. Bob started this many years ago in Texas on the famous Lake Fork and I fished a number of them.
Now back on topic, Bama and Hayden that sounds like a nice payback and hopefully you will be able to capitalize on it. There are a lot bass up shallow right now with the biggest stringers being caught on lipless crankbaits in some really skinny water. The upper lake is producing best in places like town creek, mud creek and a couple of others above comer bridge. There are some fish being caught in North and south Sauty on up in the flats (between the two above the bridges in North Sauty. You can count on having plenty of company no matter where you are fishing, though. This lake is getting pounded this spring! People everywhere! They will be lined up in all the premium spawning areas and the fish will still be jittery from the weekend before (The Big Bass Splash usually attracts a couple of thousand entries).
Since this time of year on G-ville is a transition month there will also be bass on the shell beds along the river and at the creek intersections where you can find a hard bottom (look for little clear spots in the grass along the channels). Shallow running crank baits, lipless crank baits in red shad, sour grape, sexy shad are usually good colors. Spinner baits with the large nickel willow leaf blades and basic shad colored skirts (white or white/chartreuse0 with a white curl tail grub trailer work also. John, I know you love throwing T-rigged Lizards, I have been catching them on a 8" green pumpkin with the tail dipped in chartreuse on a 3/0 hook and 5/16 oz bullet weight especially they start pulling water (be close to bridge corners and rip rap and fish the eddies). Also get along the edges of the pad stems and throw the lizard and the weightless Senko stick type baits weightless, in green pumpkin, watermelon/red and other bream type colors.

As you can see, a number of things are working now and even more will work after this week. All the warm runoff will bring the lake temps up this week and things should really start to take off!

If I get over there between now and then (which I am pretty sure I will), I'll give you guys a report!
Old 03-12-10, 10:30 PM   #10
bamabassman

Than oyu bob........ i know that YOU are the one to ask about this for sure. I hope we do well. Thanks for the call too bob. I think we got most of the baits that oyu suggested. Gonna have ot go and get the chartruse dip though. I will or the KID will. This is his FIRST tourny gang, so wish us luck.

Hopefully we can fish it more before the tourny too bob, we'll let oyu know what we get between now and then. This weekend ain't gonna be a good one, 20 mph winds and a cold front moving in (thanks daniel), but a warming trend is coming so we'll get out there to check it out the next weekend for sure.
Old 03-13-10, 11:27 PM   #11
WTL

Just read this post for the first time. Hope yall do well. I normally had success later in the year on G'ville, so I would have just been repeating what I have heard (which is, btw, lipless cranks and spawning and staging areas during prespawn - same as Bob said)...
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:59 PM   #12
bamabassman

Thanks billy, anything oyu hear or remember is MOST welcome. I am very nervous and worried cause this is NOT in my feild, tournies, ok? ANYTHING will be appreciated very much.
Old 03-14-10, 12:10 AM   #13
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

I would go with Carolina Rig, shakey head or spinner bait. As far as aeras I couldnt tell yeah.
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 09:44 AM   #14
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Thanks billy, anything oyu hear or remember is MOST welcome. I am very nervous and worried cause this is NOT in my feild, tournies, ok? ANYTHING will be appreciated very much.

John, the secret to fishing tournaments is to pay your money, then the only two things you need remember about the tournament is when it starts and when it stops. The rest of time just go fishing like you normally would. Most bassfishermen/women fish within the tournament guidelines day in and day out, as far as tackle is concerned. All you have to worry about is the fish you catch, don't spend the day worrying about how good the other anglers are doing. Relax and enjoy it. Maybe you and the nephew can join a low key club and keep your monthly investment to a minimum while enjoying the competition?
Old 03-14-10, 11:49 AM   #15
bamabassman

You are right bob. I just want to give us the best oppertunity i can being this is the first. I am sure that we will catch a few. Forcast is looking like rain next weekend too. But the temps might be warm enough to go out and do some scouting around. I am going to try to hit mud creek and work my way south. Like i said earlier, i ain't really shooting to win it all, just want to place. Give the kid a good time and put him on some fish. This is mostly for him. He wants to be the next KVD and IF i can, i am gonna do whatever i can to help him along the way. Who knows, if he makes it to the big show, i may get a few baits for helping him, lol.Thanks again for the info. Any updates are welcome gang.
Old 03-14-10, 06:36 PM   #16
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've never fished the lake, but I'm going to try and help you a little bit as far as lure selection and where to find the fish. Let me tell you again, I've never fished the lake, just giving you some tips.

If the waters clear, partly stained, or downright muddy, go with a lipless crankbait. Lipless crankbaits are dynamite this time of year, and I think they'd excel on the lake. For the clear water, go with something with less flash and with a lot of gray, white, and blue in it. Partly stained is where I like to fish, and I find the color "wounded shad" or "wounded shiner" to work great. It's a natural shad color with some red on the sides to make it look as though the "fish" is wounded. And when it's muddy, anyone that's ever threw a bass plug knows that firetiger, or, prefferably, wounded firetiger is a good choice. 1/2oz should work the best.

Occasionally toss a spinnerbait as well. Single Colorado blade with a chartreuse and white skirt for muddy water. For the clearer water, stick with the Colorado blade (might want a smaller C-blade) and have a white or white w/ glitter skirt.

Last I'd throw a 7" plastic worm, curly-tailed or paddle-tailed depending on the water clarity.

1.) Rat-L-Trap.
2.) Spinnerbait.
3.) Plastic worm.
Old 03-14-10, 07:31 PM   #17
bamabassman

Thank you charlie. We got plenty of rids (i have 9), so we'll have most of what has been posted tied on. We want to cover as many bases as we can so we don't take too much time changing out baits.
Old 03-23-10, 09:33 PM   #18
tarpon120

Be sure and check out Short creek, especially as far as you can go in a boat were the creek feeds over the rocks. When your'e going in it is very shallow on the right side of the island. Good Luck
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 09:43 PM   #19
bamabassman

We decided NOT to enter this tourny. We think it is too big for our FIRST tourny. We are gonna start out with some smaller ones and work our way up. Looking to find a club right now and see what happens with it.
Old 03-24-10, 12:45 AM   #20
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Man, the fish don't know how big the tourny is. Biggest difference is how much to enter. All the rest cost the same as a fun day fishing.

Do like the Nike Commercial. "Just Do It".
Old 03-26-10, 07:26 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
We decided NOT to enter this tourny. We think it is too big for our FIRST tourny. We are gonna start out with some smaller ones and work our way up. Looking to find a club right now and see what happens with it.

Very good idea! My personal preference is to avoid FLW and BASS affiliated clubs due to the extra fees and memberships. They drive the competition too hard and pretty much take away from the club style comeraderie. What you need to look for is a low key family club with cheap entry fees and low membership fees. Ideally, it would be one that fishes locally most of the year and has a couple of two day tournaments a little farther away and tries to get everyone to stay at the same place so you can hang out together in the evenings, bar b q and swap stories. (I just described my old club in Texas.. Cast-A-Way Bass Club, Arlington, TX! they still do it that way).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.