Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 01-19-12, 01:44 AM   #51
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Boom and this is what it boils down too... personal opinion. Personally, I don't think records should be considered unless they come from a native habitat. Anyone can take any animal and put it into a perfect situation and make it a freak of nature... Hence the Texas sharelunker program.
There's only a few on this thread that don't gag at the sight of those big bass. No need to debate the non-native issue since it's only "native" to the east coast/gulf coast and alittle bit of canada. Not just anyone can do what's being done in TX or Cali or Japan. But if someone puts superiour brood stock(brilliant idea...how do you think they get races horses to run so fast?) in an environment perfect for that species (you know that expression they're as happy as a pig in ****?) clean clear deep water, and PLENTY of good food to eat! (wonderful!) So what's the problem? I certainly don't see a freakenstein....I see what a healthy happy well fed and taken care of bass can be. I think everything and everybody wants to be "All They Can BE!" the Army does. As far as what Texas has done ...looks like genious to me. In 1960 there was only one lake in the state that produced bass weighing 13+ lbs now there are 61 Tx lakes that regularly do it, soon there will be 100. Those Texas guys are not mad scientist running around injecting steroids and growth hormones in fish, they are just managing with a focus on raising big fish. My understanding of what happened in Cal is that they just stumbled on their big fish deal after they realized the bass that were already there had learned to follow the trout trucks around and gorge themselves....certainly can't fault anybody there. Just my personal opinion
Old 01-19-12, 09:06 AM   #52
TN_Bassin

Maybe there should be a native and a non-native record...

As far as the Texas, Cali, and Japanese programs, I just don't think they should be considered for a world record is all... believe me if I had the chance to fish some of these places I would have a blast. Hell I plan to return to Baccarac within 3 years.
Old 01-19-12, 02:32 PM   #53
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
A bass in kansas weighing half as much would mean its 5 times better as caught in its natural habitat.
That tie for a world record was imported to where growing conditions exceed the norm,it cost about 1200 bucks to launch meaning rich or company backed,and caught in an area one isnt supposed to stop in.Doubt if troller would normally count unless one could see actual forward movement,commercial net fishermen dont toss theirs there.
One of the docks they use and they told him of it hanging around.
Read the stories each later one a lil different.
Igfa messed up on that one.Think we need a usfa and not an igfa,who cares what they caught in brazil etc.
Ps stocking in africa now,guess in order to overcome and eat small crocs will get big n strong.
So if the record breaking bass is caught in california are you going to have the same sentiment? No native lgm in cali. or for that matter any florida strain caught anywhere but florida.... dont hate brother.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 11:59 PM   #54
joedog

Default Be care of your terminology

THESE WORDS MEAN TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

What’s the difference between
non-native and invasive species?

Non-native or exotic refers to species that do not naturally occur in an ecosystem. Invasive species are plants or animals that aggressively establish themselves in an ecosystem at the expense of its native species and natural functions.

Most exotic species introduced into North America do not become invasive. Many of the species our civilization relies upon such as wheat, barley and rice are exotic but not invasive. Some exotic species, like the nutria, giant reed and zebra mussel, have become grave threats to natural habitats in the Chesapeake Bay region.

Occasionally an aggressive native species (such as the double-crested cormorant in the Chesapeake), can be invasive, especially in a stressed or disturbed ecosystem.

Invasive species damage our ecosystem by competing for resources native species need to survive, sometimes choking out natives entirely. They are one of the greatest threats to native biological diversity.

Once they are established, controlling the spread of invasive species is expensive and difficult, and complete eradication is usually impossible. Therefore, prevention plays a critical role in avoiding their introduction and spread. Ship ballast water, released pets and international packing material have all been pathways for introductions of invasive exotic species, but intentional human release, usually in an effort to ‘improve’ nature, are the single largest cause.

- Jonathan A. McKnight
Associate Director for Habitat Conservation
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Old 01-20-12, 12:18 AM   #55
kennethdaysale

Name:  thumbnailCAN1OAY0.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  18.9 KBOne word.....Kudzu

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 01-20-12 at 12:48 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 09:35 PM   #56
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Attachment 7502One word.....Kudzu
lol.... that crap is everywhere, and once it's there... it's there for good.

If you really think about it, any non-native species is invasive to an extent... I'm just going to leave it at that because I see this thread going south shortly.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 01-20-12 at 11:10 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 11:29 PM   #57
kennethdaysale

Quote:

If you really think about it, any non-native species is invasive to an extent... I'm just going to leave it at that because I see this thread going south shortly.
Too Late..this thread went south about 50 or so posts ago Pretty interesting thread though..funny to see such a wide difference of opinion about this subject among members that I normally agree with on most things. Good for all of us to think about such issues.
Old 01-21-12, 01:44 AM   #58
MississippiBoy

Quote:
You know how to grow kudzu, right? You take a piece of the vine about 6 inches long, and take it out to.where you want it to grow. Take that little piece of vine, throw it on the ground, then turn and run like hell......
Old 01-21-12, 02:22 AM   #59
Tavery5

Ring Necked Pheasant, non-native or invasive? Zebra Mussel? Gobi? Asian Carp? Purple Martin? the list goes on and on, and the discussion will also. Seems that this one is going to be a matter of personal opinion.
Old 01-21-12, 07:20 PM   #60
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ring neck Pheasant- non-native: yes, invasive: no. Zebra Mussel- non-native: yes, invasive: yes. Same with the Gobi, Asian Carp, and Purple Martin, Sparrow ect..As for the LM, it depends where it it is and what strain.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 07:33 PM   #61
joedog

Gobie may be reclassified due to the smallmouth success on the lakes. Some areas have already reclassified. But it will always be non-native.
Old 01-21-12, 08:04 PM   #62
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think what we are talking about with the japaneese bass is its not just that they are nonnative. And not just that they are invasive.

It is that their incredible size is directly related to the fact that they are non-native. And all you have to do to tell that, is look at the picture. Bass in their natural range never, ever, never, ever ever look like that. Its really all you need to know.
Old 01-21-12, 08:34 PM   #63
Tavery5

WTL, I agree with some of what you have said, but the thing is, not all the bass coming out of lake Biwa look like the one pictured. It is a freak, one of a kind, if there were many bass coming from this lake that looked the way that this one does then I could agree with allot more of what you have said, but 1 fish does not tell the tale.

The previous lake Biwa record for Black Bass was 18lbs, also held by Manabu Kurita. The current record that I am aware of on Lake Fork is 18.18 and there have been at least 5 other bass caught out of the same lake within fractions of an ounce.

Guess my point is that we have made allot of assumptions and general type statements based on the picture of 1 fish.
Old 01-21-12, 08:49 PM   #64
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
WTL, I agree with some of what you have said, but the thing is, not all the bass coming out of lake Biwa look like the one pictured. It is a freak, one of a kind, if there were many bass coming from this lake that looked the way that this one does then I could agree with allot more of what you have said, but 1 fish does not tell the tale.

The previous lake Biwa record for Black Bass was 18lbs, also held by Manabu Kurita. The current record that I am aware of on Lake Fork is 18.18 and there have been at least 5 other bass caught out of the same lake within fractions of an ounce.

Guess my point is that we have made allot of assumptions and general type statements based on the picture of 1 fish.

Go to google images and google lake biwa bass... some will be the same fish but not all... and the vast majority are of the same build as the OP's attachment. Too many freaks of nature... maybe the lake is just getting nuked from that reactor...

http://www.lakebaccaraclodge.com/photo_gallery.htm

From lake baccarac, mexico... these fish are no where near as obese as those lake biwa fish
Old 01-21-12, 09:09 PM   #65
kennethdaysale

Purple Martins have been around so long that I forgot they're non-native. Mosquito eating machines. Can't think of a negative.
Old 01-21-12, 09:16 PM   #66
joedog

Love Martins. I have two martin houses in yard.
They goe so far south, yet come back to the same roust year after year and bring the kids back too!
Old 01-21-12, 09:22 PM   #67
Tavery5

Quote:
Go to google images and google lake biwa bass... some will be the same fish but not all... and the vast majority are of the same build as the OP's attachment. Too many freaks of nature... maybe the lake is just getting nuked from that reactor...

http://www.lakebaccaraclodge.com/photo_gallery.htm

From lake baccarac, mexico... these fish are no where near as obese as those lake biwa fish

Checked out the pics as suggested, def. some big fat hogs in there, but I did not see anything that seemed crazy. Here are a few pics of fish from Falcon Lake, seem the same or maybe even a little fatter.

Old 01-21-12, 09:52 PM   #68
kennethdaysale

Agreed..those bass are an absolute abomination-totally disgusting-mutant freakazoids-especially #1 & #3. These bass are obviously the result of placing (non-native) Fla. strain bass in a body of water that is perfectly suited to their lives and habits and that's loaded with food. Oh the horror
Old 01-21-12, 10:00 PM   #69
TN_Bassin

Those fish are fat, but none of them look like a LMB patterned balloon. For some reason those Lake Biwa fish seem to grow from the gut instead of length.
Old 01-21-12, 10:12 PM   #70
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Those fish are fat, but none of them look like a LMB patterned balloon. For some reason those Lake Biwa fish seem to grow from the gut instead of length.
I'll agree with that as well..I think it's because they grow sooo fast. I'm no biologist but I have studied the whole grow big fish theory a lot and my understanding is that a bass' length is way more dependent on his age rather than his weight. A ***NORMAL*** bass that we're used to seeing gains weight and age at rate that we're accustomed to. I've seen very obese children and short adults and they seem to be fatter than the scales would indicate. In other words they're grosser looking than a fat person of normal height.
I've made my opinions on this topic pretty clear but I will admit that the lifespan of those Japanese fish is likely to be much shorter than usual. But even so...................
Old 01-21-12, 10:28 PM   #71
TN_Bassin

It would be cool to see someone do a Length to Age test on Lake Biwa... Compared to the lakes in the States: Falcon, Clear, Kentucky, Okeechobee, etc.
Old 01-21-12, 10:33 PM   #72
Tavery5

Most of the fish there look normal to me, however this one is of some concern....

Old 01-21-12, 10:38 PM   #73
TN_Bassin

I can't quite put my finger on it but that Rhinoceros seems a little off to me...
Old 01-21-12, 10:42 PM   #74
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Most of the fish there look normal to me, however this one is of some concern....

No concerns, I'm sure I saw one on Swamp People. Only comes out with first Full Moon in spring. Call it a Unibass.
Old 01-21-12, 10:43 PM   #75
bassboogieman

Hogzilla?

Godzilla?

Or whatever the hel* this is

I don't care how big they are, when mine arrives I'll be ready for anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9...ature=youtu.be
Oh, and if anyone wants to contribute to my ammunition fund, I''l be most appreciative.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-21-12 at 10:51 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.