Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-08, 06:13 PM   #26
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Not sure what you mean by override? I have tied 50 Lb braid to 15 lb Fluoro. But 50 lb braid is about the diameter of 12 Lb mono. Your 40 lb and 17 lb are probably pretty close to the same diameter.

BUT---unless I am fishing very clear water I use no leader with braid. Also usually fish braid because I am fishing heavy cover---again, even with clear water no need for leader in heavy cover. One thing I do, is when the braid starts to lose color and get white I take a black permanent Magic Marker and black out about 2-3 ft.

Don't over complicate/over think it. Fish. Bass are dumb animals and are even dumber when hungry.
Old 03-15-08, 04:24 PM   #27
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

What about using this knot to tie monofilament to monofilament? Why you ask? Surely!

One of the reels I own, a Cabela's Tournament XZ, (Spinning), holds about 170 yds of 10 lb line. This is too much! I was thinking I could out about 90 yds. of backing, then use the U2U knot to connect my good line to my backing. Would this work?

-Lunk-
Old 03-16-08, 07:52 PM   #28
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
What about using this knot to tie monofilament to monofilament? Why you ask? Surely!

One of the reels I own, a Cabela's Tournament XZ, (Spinning), holds about 170 yds of 10 lb line. This is too much! I was thinking I could out about 90 yds. of backing, then use the U2U knot to connect my good line to my backing. Would this work?

-Lunk-
Yeah that would work fine I do it all the time
Old 03-19-08, 08:24 PM   #29
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ok, I have a question. Why not use the blood knot for this? The uni knot looks similar to the blood knot. Is there a reason the uni knot would work better?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 09:39 PM   #30
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Ok, I have a question. Why not use the blood knot for this? The uni knot looks similar to the blood knot. Is there a reason the uni knot would work better?
Keith, you could try it, but Braid to mono, or Braid to Flouro is very tempermental. Like the double uni, I usually have to wrap each side about 5 times for it to work right. I tried the three wrap method and had it come apart on me. I would suggest trying it and see if it works, it won't take long to find out if you are successful!
Old 03-19-08, 11:17 PM   #31
senko

Quote:
I've lost a couple fish because of using the blood knot with braid to mono. I might have just tied bad knots but I think they slipped so I just use the blood knot for mono to mono.
Old 03-19-08, 11:30 PM   #32
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know just the test for using a blood knot to tie mono to braid. I think I'll try tying my mono to my braid using a blood knot and then attach the mono to my labs collar. Then holding on tight to my 7 1/2 foot heavy action flipping stick, I'll toss a big fat hamburger across the back yard and hold of for dear life. If that blood knot holds up to that, I'll know for sure it'll hold a bass tight.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 11:33 PM   #33
senko

Quote:
I know just the test for using a blood knot to tie mono to braid. I think I'll try tying my mono to my braid using a blood knot and then attach the mono to my labs collar. Then holding on tight to my 7 1/2 foot heavy action flipping stick, I'll toss a big fat hamburger across the back yard and hold of for dear life. If that blood knot holds up to that, I'll know for sure it'll hold a bass tight.
lol ya i bet!
Old 03-20-08, 08:51 AM   #34
MississippiBoy

Just be sure you don't get your shoulder yanked out of socket. If your lab's anything my like my dog, you'll break something.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.