Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-09, 08:32 PM   #1
Cincinnati Kid
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Do you really get what you pay for? (Rods)

Hey everybody! Long time reader, first time poster. :-)

I have been watching with great interest, and amusement, the threads on the classifieds forum about G-Loomis rods. I got me thinking.......and I said to myself "self, when you purchase new rods do you really need to spend ~$250 for one?" Instead of answering myself, I thought I would ask you guys on this forum.

When purchasing a new rod, is it a classic case of "you get what you pay for", or is there really THAT BIG of a difference between a G-Loomis (or any other "premium" rod) and the lower end rods?

Any input available on this subject is greatly appreciated (eg: construction method, feel, fatigue, warranty, etc, etc)
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:21 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I believe you do get what you pay for. You cannot beat a lifetime warranty with the Loomis rods.. There is a differance in weight which makes fishing with a highend rod more comfortable at the end of the day. HOWEVER , I do catch my fair share of fish on my 40.00 Berkley Lightning Rod , and everybody knows walmart has a pretty good return policy as well . Thats my .02 , and I am looking to buy another highend rod this winter ( so there must be something to them...)
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:50 PM   #3
bassinbob

Ck, I do also believe you get what you pay for. I traded a Revo for a Lomis crankbait rod. I have to say without a doubt it makes me think twice about my Kistlers which I love. Then again I buy rods and reels where I can find them for a deal. My first Kistler was on sale at a local fishing shop for 25%off. I bought Curados when Walmart was discounting them. I paid 25 bucks for 2 Curados. The list goes on. I only paid retail for a Revo Premier because they were giving away a cool Revo hat. lol

When I first started fishing for bass I was using an old 2pc. Ugly Stick and a Mitchell 300. After moving up to better equipment I must say that it makes a world of difference as far as fatigue. I have gout which I get in my fingers and the lighter weight rods and reels enable me to fish without to much discomfort. Just look for the bargains like I do.
Old 10-06-09, 09:55 PM   #4
Cincinnati Kid
BassFishin.Com Member

Which rod companies offer the lifetime warranty? How do the warranties work? Obviously, if I go stepping on my gear it wouldn't be their fault, but what about wear and tear over time?
Old 10-06-09, 10:26 PM   #5
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Which rod companies offer the lifetime warranty? How do the warranties work? Obviously, if I go stepping on my gear it wouldn't be their fault, but what about wear and tear over time?
G-Loomis offers a lifetime warranty. You can pay $50 bucks and they will send you the rod first and you send the broken one back. You can do this at no charge but you have to send in your broken rod first and if they determine it was due to normal usage or a defect they will replace it for free or in my case where I broke it by closing the rod locker lid on it then they will charge you $50 for the replacment. Overall though I would just do the $50 and let them send you a new one. Shipping is fast and I got it in about 4 days.
Old 10-06-09, 11:28 PM   #6
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

G Loomis is the best. You can call and get a real person on the phone anytime. I have over 50 of them from the last 8 years or so. I sell out my older ones to keep up with the new models. You dont need 50 but I smile everytime I look in the corner of my office that is dedicated to fishing gear. Horse tack on one side fishing on the other. Loomis rods also hold their value. The feel is cray. A demo I do is sink a soda can in the bottom of my pool and drag a jig over it with a Loomis and then an Ugly stick. Even though the ones that are not into fishing can feel the difference. I still say and always say, get what works for you. Price and value.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 11:31 PM   #7
Cincinnati Kid
BassFishin.Com Member

I think I am being talked into some G-Loomis rods..... :-) Thanks guys for your answer.

Are the warranties transferable if they are bought used?
Old 10-07-09, 01:34 AM   #8
bcklash

I got 2 G-loomis rods. 1 baitcaster-6' med. Lite and love it. Also a 6'6" Med. lite spinning rod and I thinks way to sensitive, don't use it much. If you can afford G-loomis I don't think you can go wrong with them. Nice rods.
Old 10-07-09, 08:09 AM   #9
rrw4258

I have personally never uesed a loomis rod, so I can not comment on them. As for rods go, I have never used an expensive rod. All of my rods cost me less than $70, my most expensive was a BPS Extreme Rod. I have never run into a situation where I have said "I wish I had a better rod to make that cast, or land that fish". If people like expensive rods, they can fish with them. I am not one to judge, and I am not saying an expensive rod isn't worth it, but for me right now the budget doesn't allow for it.

Ryan
Old 10-07-09, 08:24 AM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

YES!!

You get what you pay for. I payed 30 bucks for a Lightning rod, a year or two back, I used it as long as I could, probably about 6, or 7 months. And lemme tell you, I did not like it at all!!! It was VERY tip heavy, and over all very heavy! It was about as sensitive as a limp rubber band, I was even using braided line. It was just an over all bad rod! Than I got a 6' 6" Cebelas XML rod (150$) and loved it! It was light weight, perfectly balanced, and super sensitive! You defiantly get what you pay for!
Old 10-07-09, 09:19 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think, to an extent, you do get what you pay for.

G.Loomis rods are great. They're lightweight, extremely sensitive, and have a great warranty. But I do think you're paying a bit more for the name.

To prove my point, look at the Shimano Cumara rods. equal or better in weight than a Loomis IMX, equal in sensitivity (according to a Tackle Tour review), better guides (SiC), and a limited lifetime warranty, all for 200-220 bucks.

While the warranty on the Shimano rod may not be as good as the Loomis (50 bucks gets you a new rod, no questions asked), it's still better than most that are out there. But honestly, I wouldn't buy a rod just cause it has a warranty or not buy one just because it didn't.

Also, is a G.Loomis GLX rod worth 400 bucks? is a Daiwa Steez rods worth 400-500 bucks? I think with rods in this price range you are paying more than what the rod is worth. But the "you get what you pay for" is true when comparing a $100 rod to a $200 rod, IMO.

BB
Old 10-07-09, 09:38 AM   #12
rodnreel

I think you get what you pay for as well. But, that doesn't mean you have to spend $300 to buy a quality rod. I was back and forth between buying a St. Croix and Carrot Stix when I wanted to upgrade. Everyone I talked to advised against the Carrot because of certain features and different things they had heard about them. I went to BPS and looked both over, held them, shook them and ended up getting the Carrot. I can say that it is one of the best rods I've ever used. It is extremely light, sensitive, durable, balanced, and I've never had a problem landing a fish with it. And they are $150.

With that said, I also have a St. Croix Mojo rod that is awesome, too. That one cost me $90.

Make sure not to buy something just from reputation. Feel the rod first to see if you like it. Head to a tackle shop and pick up 2 or 10 different rods and compare....you might like the cheaper rod better.

Last edited by rodnreel; 10-07-09 at 10:07 AM.
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 09:56 AM   #13
nofearengineer

I think you probably get what you pay for (I've never owned a G. Loomis rod, take with a grain of salt), but as with any leisure activity, fishing gear is subject to the law of diminishing returns.

Is a $300 rod twice as good as a $150 rod or four times as good as a $75 rod? Probably not, but once you hit a certain high level of quality or performance, the incremental cost to get that extra 10-20% improvement just goes up and up. Basically, if you can't get that level of performance for less anywhere else, and it's worth it to you personally, I guess you do get what you pay for.
Old 10-07-09, 10:03 AM   #14
WaffleJaw

Just do this...Go spend $300 on a Loomis,Then buy a $250+ reel.
Then go use your $550+ rig to throw a $2.00 lure and see how ya feel
Old 10-07-09, 10:22 AM   #15
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Just do this...Go spend $300 on a Loomis,Then buy a $250+ reel.
Then go use your $550+ rig to throw a $2.00 lure and see how ya feel
Thats sweet!!

$200 to $300+ for one rod...........that would hurt my heart!
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:30 AM   #16
bassboogieman

You really do get what you pay for in a rod - premium priced rods offer reduced weight, a very sensitive blank, high end guides, and quality construction. Not eveyone has the same budget to work with, so they make their choices accordingly. I took nearly 3 years to complete my rod needs for what I carry on my boat. Given the choice, I'd buy one or two premium rods (225.00 +) each year, rather than 3 - 5 five $80.00 - $120.00 rods. Same for reels.

The differece is really noticable with soft plastics, jigs, any slow presentation baits where feel is extemely important. Using fast moving baits, a premium rod will let you feel what the bait is doing, but it's not as great a difference (or as critical in my opinion) as with plastics.

Cost covers a wide range, but any manufacturer's top-of-the-line rod will be considerably better in all areas, than their entry level sicks. The gap between individual models will close as you move up the ladder (cost).

You can save some money buying in the secondary market - I know several guys that buy 6 - 12 rods of various brands and quality every year (I was also guilty of that, before I decided to use a "high end" rod and found a brand to stay with). They buy retail and sell slightly used rods at 35% - 50% of what they paid. Bargains are out there, you just need to be patient and check often. If you're real lucky, you can also get deals on NEW premium rods discounted. Those you really have to hunt for, but they're out there, same applys for premium reels.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:44 AM   #17
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Agree 100%

I agree 100% with the statement

" The differece is really noticable with soft plastics, jigs, any slow presentation baits where feel is extemely important. Using fast moving baits, a premium rod will let you feel what the bait is doing, but it's not as great a difference (or as critical in my opinion) as with plastics."

I also agree to move at your pace and dont worry about what the other guy is throwing. In one part its a reward to yourself to buy the best you can afford no matter what that number is. We all figure out a way to make what we have work for us.

In looking back, I would have spent less on combos when starting out and more on bait varity and maps! You the know the saying, bass fishing cost money - how many fish do you want to catch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You really do get what you pay for in a rod - premium priced rods offer reduced weight, a very sensitive blank, high end guides, and quality construction. Not eveyone has the same budget to work with, so they make their choices accordingly. I took nearly 3 years to complete my rod needs for what I carry on my boat. Given the choice, I'd buy one or two premium rods (225.00 +) each year, rather than 3 - 5 five $80.00 - $120.00 rods. Same for reels.

The differece is really noticable with soft plastics, jigs, any slow presentation baits where feel is extemely important. Using fast moving baits, a premium rod will let you feel what the bait is doing, but it's not as great a difference (or as critical in my opinion) as with plastics.

Cost covers a wide range, but any manufacturer's top-of-the-line rod will be considerably better in all areas, than their entry level sicks. The gap between individual models will close as you move up the ladder (cost).

You can save some money buying in the secondary market - I know several guys that buy 6 - 12 rods of various brands and quality every year (I was also guilty of that, before I decided to use a "high end" rod and found a brand to stay with). They buy retail and sell slightly used rods at 35% - 50% of what they paid. Bargains are out there, you just need to be patient and check often. If you're real lucky, you can also get deals on NEW premium rods discounted. Those you really have to hunt for, but they're out there, same applys for premium reels.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:55 AM   #18
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think, to an extent, you do get what you pay for.

G.Loomis rods are great. They're lightweight, extremely sensitive, and have a great warranty. But I do think you're paying a bit more for the name.

To prove my point, look at the Shimano Cumara rods. equal or better in weight than a Loomis IMX, equal in sensitivity (according to a Tackle Tour review), better guides (SiC), and a limited lifetime warranty, all for 200-220 bucks.

While the warranty on the Shimano rod may not be as good as the Loomis (50 bucks gets you a new rod, no questions asked), it's still better than most that are out there. But honestly, I wouldn't buy a rod just cause it has a warranty or not buy one just because it didn't.

Also, is a G.Loomis GLX rod worth 400 bucks? is a Daiwa Steez rods worth 400-500 bucks? I think with rods in this price range you are paying more than what the rod is worth. But the "you get what you pay for" is true when comparing a $100 rod to a $200 rod, IMO.

BB
I have a pair of the Cumaras and I absolutley adore them. Fanastic preformance for half the price. I'll take that 7 days a week and twice on sunday.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 12:22 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

The finger tips is the most sensitive part of the body...I dont need to spend an extra $150 on a rod to increase that....If I can feel tension when I walk into a room, then surely I can feel a 2lb fish tug on my $70 rod....Its been working fine for all these years.

In most cases you do get what you pay for....A $50 to $100 rod will work just fine....Anything over that is just a name.

I'm opposed to extremely expensive rods, however, it would be dangerous to offer me one.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 10-07-09 at 03:26 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 01:37 PM   #20
islandbass

I think that people are getting Loomis' warranty convoluted with their expeditor program. These are two distinct things.

The warranty covers you for the case when the rod breaks as the result of manfacturer defect with the blank, components, etc. For example you bought your rod and the guide insert fell out or the reel seat doesn't work.

Now if you broke the rod as a result of your own fault, the warranty will not cover that. Why should it, after all? If you wrecked your car, you're not going to walk into the car dealer's office and demand a new one, or would you? If rod companies replaced rods that broke because of angler's actions for free, they'd go broke.

However, with Loomis, they offer their expeditor program which enables the rod owner to pay them their fee which might no longer be $50, no questions asked, for either the same rod or a rod in the line up that is close to the rod you broke. Other companies might or might not have a similar policy in place.

Shimano, Lamiglas, and St. Croix also have good warranties and replacement programs.

If anyone is interested in the warranties offered by rod makers, they simply need to visit the web sites of those companies and read them. Read carefully, slowly, and multiple times to avoid confusion and headaches.

There is some truth to getting what you paid for but at the same time, there are some great values that will get many us us by for the purposes of fishing but there usually will be a point where the return/gain for price diminishes and paying that extra is more a prerogative and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's what the bait monkey is for.
Old 10-07-09, 01:53 PM   #21
bcklash

Islandbass, Bassinbandit broke his G-loomis when he shut it the rod locker-SNAP can you say 2 piece. Because he needed it ASAP they shipped him a new rod and a tube to ship the old broken rod back. It was a $225.00 rod and they charged him $50.00 s&h. He had his new rod within 4 days.
Old 10-07-09, 01:55 PM   #22
Abbeysdad

If you are spending $200 on a rod and as much or more for a reel to put on it....would you adopt me?!

In principal. I believe that "good tools aren't cheap and cheap tools aren't good', but there are, or should be, limits. We all might have a decent suite or two in the closet, but probably very few of us have the $1000 dollar suites 'The Donald' (Trump that is) wears.

The barefoot kid with a cane pole can come back from the river bank with a stringer full of fish while the savvy Bass fisherman, with his $500 rod/reel combo, all those purdy lures and baits and his $25k bass boat with all the fancy electronics gets skunked... how can that be?

The zen in fishing is much more than the price of the rod 'n reel... the right bait presented just the right way, the line, the rod 'n reel, the position of the boat, the water temp, the weather, the DLF (dumb luck factor) .....

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-07-09 at 02:14 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 02:06 PM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Islandbass, Bassinbandit broke his G-loomis when he shut it the rod locker-SNAP can you say 2 piece. Because he needed it ASAP they shipped him a new rod and a tube to ship the old broken rod back. It was a $225.00 rod and they charged him $50.00 s&h. He had his new rod within 4 days.
Yes. This is their No Questions Asked Expeditor Program. That is a really great program.
Old 10-07-09, 02:11 PM   #24
nofearengineer

Abbeys, that's because of the marketing of bass fishing. Bass fishermen have an ever-increasing list of things they must do or own in order to feel like "real" bass fisherman:

1. They must own a $40,000 fiberglass bass boat, or develop an inferiority complex about it.
2. They are not allowed to even dream of what a bass tastes like, much less actually keep one once in a while.
3. They must put all thoughts of using live bait out of their heads, else they are just amateurs.
4. They must look like pros; guys who fish club tournaments must wear Bassmasters-like jerseys with gear company logos stitched onto them, as if they are sponsored, even when they're not...because that is what catches fish, right?
5. They must have expensive rods and reels, because that's what the pros use. (Never mind the pros get theirs for free...)

Hey...I spend more than most on my fishing hobby (habit? ), and not to complain about the fishing industry (it does fund this website for instance), but sometimes it can be just a bit much. I remember my "cane pole" days, and while I knew jack squat compared to what I know now, I was every bit as happy plunking a bobber along some muddy shoreline.

Good tackle means you have the money to spend, or you're broke. It rarely means "good fisherman".
Old 10-07-09, 03:30 PM   #25
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Abbeys, that's because of the marketing of bass fishing. Bass fishermen have an ever-increasing list of things they must do or own in order to feel like "real" bass fisherman:
No, I don't think it's marketing at all... it's simply the lure that we will be more successful with better gear...and since it costs more, it must be better.

Just the evolution of the bait monkey.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.