Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-11, 11:30 AM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default triggerfish lure, Crazy steerable action

I just saw these today and instantly placed an order. TW only has one color in stock but northern bass supply has them all.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/video.html?pcode=TTLTF

edit. Northern just called me and said they were out of stock of the shad color I ordered but that they were expecting them in on Monday. They just wanted to let me know that they would ship them on monday instead of today. Now thats some customer service there.

Last edited by pro reel; 03-18-11 at 11:43 AM.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 03:38 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yep, it does look pretty cool, but how "steerable" do you think it really is? I would love to hear your thoughts on it after you have a chance to use it.

There was also another thread (here) about this lure last week.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 08:47 PM   #3
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

YES!!!!!! Been waiting 2 years for these! Now if their not $30 or up is be amazed. Tackle warehouse has great cust service, northern bass as well !
Old 03-20-11, 08:57 AM   #4
mike234

Purchased the shad color from Tackle Warehouse about 2-3 weeks ago and have only fished with it one time. Was not impressed at all with the lure. I really do not know how to work the bait but no matter what I tried it stayed on its side 99% of the time. How are you susposed to work lure.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:56 AM   #5
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Purchased the shad color from Tackle Warehouse about 2-3 weeks ago and have only fished with it one time. Was not impressed at all with the lure. I really do not know how to work the bait but no matter what I tried it stayed on its side 99% of the time. How are you susposed to work lure.
Go to the triggerfish website, and click the how to fish tab. That explains a lot. You need to use 30 lb or heavier braid with this lure. You need the no stretch properties of braid to make it work. After watching the videos, it looks to me that you also need to use a high speed reel, and a 7 ft or longer rod. You basically need to keep the the rod tip high and the line out of the water. reel fast to keep the rear prop going. Make short pauses to change directions.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 11:02 AM   #6
lilmule

If it always turns one direction to get on its side its the tie eye,like many baits one has to bend it or turn it to tune.
That swiveling head not only looks good to bounce off of objects kind of like a rudder in front,possibly retrieve speed,dunno never had one.Try with rod high and bait in a wake position,then gradually lower,it does look good,just dunno about its action as never had one.Im in west tn wanna sell it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:29 PM   #7
ThinkTankLures
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi there everyone. As the developer of the Triggerfish, I'd like to clarify a few points that you guys have brought up here. The lure is on its side at all times. In fact, it's impossible for it to be upright. This serves two purposes. First, it allows the head to work together with the bill to steer the lure. An extra benefit is that it gives Triggerfish a more realistic wounded appearance, even at rest. I'm sure you've all seen baitfish that are not doing so well on their side, trying to get back down to deeper water and some cover. This is a very powerful visual cue for bass or other fish signaling an easy meal. As far as line goes, braid up to 30 pounds works the best, but mono between 6 and 14 will work fine, especially as you get more experienced with techniques. We will have a video up on our website to illustrate many of the methods within the week. In the meantime, follow the instructions and remember that this is a totally different bait with a totally different method of fishing. It's not very difficult to learn, but you do have to adapt your approach.
ThinkTankLures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:47 PM   #8
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTankLures View Post
Hi there everyone. As the developer of the Triggerfish, I'd like to clarify a few points that you guys have brought up here. The lure is on its side at all times. In fact, it's impossible for it to be upright. This serves two purposes. First, it allows the head to work together with the bill to steer the lure. An extra benefit is that it gives Triggerfish a more realistic wounded appearance, even at rest. I'm sure you've all seen baitfish that are not doing so well on their side, trying to get back down to deeper water and some cover. This is a very powerful visual cue for bass or other fish signaling an easy meal. As far as line goes, braid up to 30 pounds works the best, but mono between 6 and 14 will work fine, especially as you get more experienced with techniques. We will have a video up on our website to illustrate many of the methods within the week. In the meantime, follow the instructions and remember that this is a totally different bait with a totally different method of fishing. It's not very difficult to learn, but you do have to adapt your approach.
Thanks for the explaination. I bought two of these from TW a while back and am really looking forward to giving them a go!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 06:27 PM   #9
boloson

my bro just bought 1 of each color from tacklewarehouse. can't wait to try this lure
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 07:48 PM   #10
WatterBoy

I am a sucker for trying new stuff, so I ordered a couple today. I'll probably lose them both to those darn pike in our lake the first time I use them.
Old 03-20-11, 08:14 PM   #11
Frogman20
BassFishin.Com Member

Looks pretty cool!
Frogman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 08:20 PM   #12
bassinbob

I recieved mine this week. Waiting till I get my boat out to try them. Waterboy, I hate to see you throw $13 away. Just send them to me and I won't use them on a pike lake.
Old 03-20-11, 09:23 PM   #13
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

Ordered 2 today, excited about these baits.
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 09:59 PM   #14
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I recieved mine this week. Waiting till I get my boat out to try them. Waterboy, I hate to see you throw $13 away. Just send them to me and I won't use them on a pike lake.
Mighty generous of you to offer that, bassinbob. Maybe you should test them out first, tell me how worthless they are, and THEN I'll send mine to you to use on a pikeless lake.
Old 03-27-11, 11:56 PM   #15
bassinbob

Ok, Watterboy. If the weather ever gets nice around here. I'll test them out and let you know.
Old 04-11-11, 08:32 AM   #16
ThinkTankLures
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How to steer Triggerfish

This will show you how easy it is to steer Triggerfish:http://vimeo.com/22185828
ThinkTankLures is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.