Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-10, 01:45 PM   #1
bexm1tanker
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My 1st Boat

I am looking for a little advice from some of those who have owned boats.
Currently I am looking at Aluminum Deep V (due to the type of waters around here). I have narrowed my short list to a Lowe FM165, Lund 1675 Explorer, or Polar Kraft V 165 SC.
Does anybody have any experience with these boats and any pro's and con's?
At today's cost I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

I have a fair amount of experience in boating, I have just never owned one so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Bill

Last edited by bexm1tanker; 02-26-10 at 01:55 PM.
bexm1tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 02:31 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I should try to make a list sometime of all the stuff you should ask the dealer to throw in with a new boat. Here's a few things I can think of off the top of my head:
Life Jackets
Required Safety Gear
Trailerable Cover
Boat Buckle tie downs
Upgraded electronics
spare tire

I'm sure I'll think of more and they might not give you all of those, but ask anyway. Maybe also check around with people who own them and see what they say and have added to their boats.

I've never had any of those brands but have heard only good things about all of them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 02:51 PM   #3
bexm1tanker
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thank you

Great points...especially to ask for the fre ones

I appreciate your input

Bill
Old 02-27-10, 07:05 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All 3 of the boats have there qualities that exceed the other........the main thing that I would point out is...
1. Lund has been around for along time..longer than the other's
2. Out of those 3 what boat has more of the qualities that appeal to you?
3 Which boat better suites your fishing and water that you frequent.

With those in mind I can be rest assured you will make a good descion
Old 02-28-10, 06:03 AM   #5
bexm1tanker
BassFishin.Com Member

1fastlaser

Excellent points, thank you very much for your time

Bill
Old 02-28-10, 03:11 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The best advice I can give you (and you are doing it right now, so that's good) is to research, research, and when you think you've made your decision, research some more.

You're still going to make some mistakes in your selection. You just hopefully will limit them to small, fixable mistakes. You really don't want to drop a pile of cash, only to figure out 6 months later, you made the totally wrong choice.

As far as asking for extra items from your boat dealer. Make sure you know exactly what those items will be, or else you are going to get the cheapest, most crappy quality items you will have to replace anyway. I mean this mostly for the life jackets, safety gear and boat cover. I think electronics is something you can really make good decisions on, as you can easily look that stuff up on the web.

Take my case as a learning experience. I have a Mercury Optimax, which is a pretty expensive motor. It has what is called Smartcraft technology, which lets it sommunicate electronically with controls and gauges. Well, the original owener of my boat must have decided to save a few bucks by going with all analog gauges instead of digital, which I am sort of in the process of upgrading these days. They will cost me far, far more to replace than they would have cost on Day 1 from the factory. It's those kind of things you need to look out for. Do your best to imagine how you will be using the boat 5 years from now, and not just next week.
Old 03-01-10, 08:09 AM   #7
bexm1tanker
BassFishin.Com Member

nofearrngineer

Thank you for the advice...Research is what has me in a pickle right now...Just when I think I am settled I find another boat to go look at...I guess that's all part of the fun

Thank you for time

Bill
Old 03-01-10, 11:30 AM   #8
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default up grade gauges

Let me know Nofearengineer how the up grade goes on the gauges. I talked to a shop last week a little and the mechanic basically either wants all of my business or may have shot me straight. He said I may see water tempt etc. but I still will haft to bring it to him and put it on the computer to see what reads out on my 2000 200 hp optimax. He said save the money. Let me know what your experience is with the up grade smart gauges (is it worth it) and how much it cost round abouts please.
Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The best advice I can give you (and you are doing it right now, so that's good) is to research, research, and when you think you've made your decision, research some more.

You're still going to make some mistakes in your selection. You just hopefully will limit them to small, fixable mistakes. You really don't want to drop a pile of cash, only to figure out 6 months later, you made the totally wrong choice.

As far as asking for extra items from your boat dealer. Make sure you know exactly what those items will be, or else you are going to get the cheapest, most crappy quality items you will have to replace anyway. I mean this mostly for the life jackets, safety gear and boat cover. I think electronics is something you can really make good decisions on, as you can easily look that stuff up on the web.

Take my case as a learning experience. I have a Mercury Optimax, which is a pretty expensive motor. It has what is called Smartcraft technology, which lets it sommunicate electronically with controls and gauges. Well, the original owener of my boat must have decided to save a few bucks by going with all analog gauges instead of digital, which I am sort of in the process of upgrading these days. They will cost me far, far more to replace than they would have cost on Day 1 from the factory. It's those kind of things you need to look out for. Do your best to imagine how you will be using the boat 5 years from now, and not just next week.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:39 PM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sure thing Tall.

I've heard some of the early (pre-2002) Opti's are not all good with the Smartcraft gauges. Luckily, mine is a 2005, and should work fine. I did find out that I can not do trim through the MercMonitor...no Opti 115 will do that particular one....oh well....I'll just have to settle for all the other fun data. Good thing I have all the analog gauges to fill the holes in my dash still.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.