Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-08, 04:42 PM   #1
Matt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default swim baits

i just bought some new swim baits and wanted to know what is the best way to fish them
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 08:10 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If your talking about the hollow body style, those are best fished with a large wide gap worm hook rigged texas style. 5/0 works "ok" on the smaller sizes, but for 5 inch and larger you'll want an even bigger hook. Also, most people add a bit of lead to the shank of the hook which will be located below the baits belly. This will add a little weight for casting and also help keep the bait riding straight and upright. You can take the rubber out of a 1/8oz. rubber core sinker and then pinch the weight to the hook with a pair of plyers. Want to go deeper, just add a larger weight. I'm not very experienced with using these baits, just started using them this year. However, I've heard others tell me that a simple cast and retrieve works best, with maybe a jerk of the rod once in a while.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 10:46 AM   #3
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What kind did you get ? Was it Storm ?
Old 06-23-08, 12:51 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cast and retrieve. You will need to find the weighted hooks to keep them upright if they aren't pre-hooked. These baits work really well in pads and grass. You'll lose a few fish at first but like topwater wait or hesitate before you set the hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.