Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-08, 11:38 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default found a good use for a golf glove

well...as ya'll know i ain't into golfing. maybe a little putt-putt now and then. BUT..... i was at work last week and found a golfing glove. so seeing as my hands are dry from the dry cold (i know it has been raining for 2 weeks ) here latly. i am having a hard time holding onto my rod. so i decided to wear the glove (left hand glove). WONDERS NEVER CEASE!! it actually HELPED me keep a grip on the cork handle better than a bare hand. ok, so i ain't the smartest cookie in da jar. but it really surprised me. i am gonna keep a golfing glove from now on so i can keep a better grip on my rods from now on when my hands are too dried out. yes i do use lotion....sometimes. but this works better for me. try it gang. looks funny, but it works. lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 11:45 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nice tip john. We've got a bunch of old golf gloves, most of my uncles golf and my sister used to.

BB
Old 12-29-08, 12:12 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All ya need to do now Bama is slap a fishing name on them and sell em and you'll be all set , i have used the mechanics gloves myself .

Jim
Old 12-29-08, 11:57 AM   #4
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a buddy that wears a golf glove whenever it's cold. I thought he would be the only one!
Old 12-29-08, 12:25 PM   #5
Jigger

Take a look at Newman coaches gloves. Similar to golf gloves but they come as a pair and they're insulated. You can pick up things with them and feel things. I use them hunting and fishing when it's cold. Actually I mostly use brown tight fitting cotton gloves mostly when fishing and I carry several pair so if one gets wet, I switch. I can fish about as well with gloves on as off.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 06:00 PM   #6
Fishing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well...as ya'll know i ain't into golfing. maybe a little putt-putt now and then. BUT..... i was at work last week and found a golfing glove. so seeing as my hands are dry from the dry cold (i know it has been raining for 2 weeks ) here latly. i am having a hard time holding onto my rod. so i decided to wear the glove (left hand glove). WONDERS NEVER CEASE!! it actually HELPED me keep a grip on the cork handle better than a bare hand. ok, so i ain't the smartest cookie in da jar. but it really surprised me. i am gonna keep a golfing glove from now on so i can keep a better grip on my rods from now on when my hands are too dried out. yes i do use lotion....sometimes. but this works better for me. try it gang. looks funny, but it works. lol.
Another thing that helps you grip the rod handle are rod wraps. I bought some from Bass Pro a couple of years ago. They really helped.
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 06:29 PM   #7
Basscrazie

I loose them so much i just buy the cheap brown gloves and cut the finger tips out..It really helps in the southeast texas cold..Lol
It was in the mid 40's yesterday and i drove to the lake but just couldn't do it..(slight rain)
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 07:25 PM   #8
BassBandit

Neat tip but, its not new to me. Paul Elias use a golf gloves while cranking deep.

Last edited by BassBandit; 12-29-08 at 08:15 PM.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 07:53 PM   #9
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

if you look at the bass elite series from falcon lake. paul elias was wearing one. i wonder if it was to protect his hand from braided line.
set_the_hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 09:37 PM   #10
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by set_the_hook View Post
if you look at the bass elite series from falcon lake. paul elias was wearing one. i wonder if it was to protect his hand from braided line.
Not for sure, but he was doing A LOT of deep cranking. Probably was wearing them for protection from blisters. If you watched him on TV you could see he also had a lot of medical tape on his fingers.

As for getting a pair of golf gloves, look at the Foot Joy rain gloves. They come in pairs, and work pretty well. Your hands still get wet in the rain but they will actually grip the rod better once wet.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 10:15 PM   #11
quenston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
All ya need to do now Bama is slap a fishing name on them and sell em and you'll be all set , i have used the mechanics gloves myself .

Jim
I also use the Mechanix gloves and waterproofed them and they seem to work great! Instead of cutting the whole fingers out I cut a 1/4" section out at the first knuckle of the gloves and that way I can still feel my line and and my hands stay dry and warm! Just my .02
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 10:18 PM   #12
bamabassman

jigger, where does one find those gloves you're talking about? and i haven't watched any "pros" on t v in a long time. i have he3ard of the wraps though. the glove i found was brand new, never used, so i thought i'd try it. works for me. i'll check out the wraps too. in the summer i don't really need em. just when my hands dry out.
also i would like to know where to get those foot joy gloves, they would come in handy during a rain. thanks gang!
Old 12-29-08, 10:44 PM   #13
quenston

Bama u might try footjoy.com I know you didnt ask me but just thought i would help
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 11:52 PM   #14
MIbasser

Quote:
also i would like to know where to get those foot joy gloves, they would come in handy during a rain. thanks gang!
Bama, you could try any sporting goods store or any place that sells golfing equipment (Dick's Sporting Goods) is where I got mine at.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 01:05 AM   #15
Fishnngolfn

The best use for a golf glove is GOLF. Shame on you guys.
Personally, I wouldn't cut the fingers off any of my gloves since it is so difficult for me to find gloves that actually fit. I have huge hands.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 02:54 PM   #16
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

do those wraps stay on if they get wet, like really wet, cause me and my friendsfish in a creek (just walking in the middle of it) and i drop my rod all the tim cause it gets really wet
Old 12-30-08, 08:15 PM   #17
abu4600

Thats a good tip bama ill try it this winter.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 08:43 PM   #18
bamabassman

hahahahaha f&g......i just KNEW you'd say SOMETHING. and thanks queston. i'll look them up.
Old 12-30-08, 08:44 PM   #19
bamabassman

and mibasser, i will also check dick's too. thanks gang!
Old 12-31-08, 01:29 AM   #20
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
hahahahaha f&g......i just KNEW you'd say SOMETHING. and thanks queston. i'll look them up.
Hey, I am going golfin tomorrow (new years eve morning) with 11 other brave souls for our first tournament of our 2009 tour (Quest for the Turtle). I like my chances since I play pretty well in cold weather. It makes me play smarter.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 11:49 AM   #21
Jigger

Quote:
jigger, where does one find those gloves you're talking about?
Just google "Neumann gloves". The cheapest I saw on the net was here: www.coaches-choice.com. Neumann also makes football receiver gloves and batting gloves too which might work even better but they're not insulated like the winter coaches gloves.

Sorry I misspelled "Neumann" in my original post.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 11:54 AM   #22
Bob Smith

John, the perfect hand cream for us winter bassfishing freaks is "Zim's Crack Cream". My hands get extremely dry and start cracking at the joints (very painful). Zim's is my salvation! For Fishing I have some fingerless flannel (Camo) gloves with a rubber palm. The nice part is that if these gloves get a little wet, they'll still retain a little heat and they dry out quickly.

I have never cared for the rod wraps, they tend to dampen the sensitivity, for me, so I won't use them.
Old 12-31-08, 02:49 PM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Not for sure, but he was doing A LOT of deep cranking. Probably was wearing them for protection from blisters. If you watched him on TV you could see he also had a lot of medical tape on his fingers.

As for getting a pair of golf gloves, look at the Foot Joy rain gloves. They come in pairs, and work pretty well. Your hands still get wet in the rain but they will actually grip the rod better once wet.
if you watch the falcon tournament on tv you will notice about all the pros had their hands all taped up because they were raw from handling big fish all day, i am not sure but i thought all along that this was the reason behind elias wearing a golf glove. at first i thought, "man these babies can't even stand a little bass thumb" but stop and think, they were handling 6lb-10lb fish all day long..........that would take its toll and i can understand them taping their hands up after 3 days of that.
Old 01-29-09, 03:57 PM   #24
BassBandit

http://fishpaa.com/?p=1910

http://www.xtremeglove.com/home/
Old 01-30-09, 09:21 AM   #25
Bassboss

Nice idea...... I doubt I'll ever need to use seeing that I live in south Fl.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.