Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-09, 03:31 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing weightless plastics

As many of you know here, I fish mostly weightless plastics on a 3/0 EWG gammy hook. 6" lizards have been my favorite so far this year. Some days have been really good while others, it is hard just to get a bite. While I still don't like adding weight to the lure, I have gotten away from something that seemed to work well last year for me - adding 2 glass beads in front of the hook. This of course adds to the weight which I plan to counteract by switching to a 2/0 EWG gammy hook but the glass beads add that clicking sound when twitching the plastics across the bottom.
Thoughts? Any other ideas?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 05:08 PM   #2
Jim80

you could try a couple of tungsten beads they give a louder click and will add more than enough weight , or just add a light bullet sinker and use one glass bead .

Jim
Old 04-06-09, 06:08 PM   #3
cassidyta

FnG. I may be missing something, but why not just go back to the 2 glass beads that worked for you?
Old 04-06-09, 07:41 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
FnG. I may be missing something, but why not just go back to the 2 glass beads that worked for you?
I am going back to the 2 glass beads. I was just asking if anyone had any other ideas for fishing weightless plastics. Maybe some new tricks or ideas.

And thanks Jim for the suggestion but I am trying NOT too add to much weight. I like the slow drop of the weightless plastics.
Old 04-06-09, 08:06 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This would not be weight less, actually, but you could get a nail or the lead needle things that come with the yum fat money minnow into the end of the tail of the worm, it makes it stand up on the tail when you use a thin weight 2/0 hook with mono or braid. I'll cast these up tight to hydrilla mats, when you do that they will sink back into the cover, right into the basses face, they'll nail it than (no pun intended)! just makes sure not to use flouro, which sink, if you do the nose of the bait with not rise. You can also shake the rod tip a little bit to shake the nose (which is standing up) to give it a shaky head kinda action. This works well in cold, blue bird conditions. Give it a try, won't be disappointed!

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-06-09 at 09:18 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 08:35 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Split shotting by definition is adding weight, but it is another presentation you should look at.

I am kinda mixed regarding the nail weights, you can add too much even to the body.

The bead thing is a good idea. I'll try that sometime, bet its a real subtle sound.
Old 04-06-09, 10:09 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Split shotting by definition is adding weight, but it is another presentation you should look at.

I am kinda mixed regarding the nail weights, you can add too much even to the body.

The bead thing is a good idea. I'll try that sometime, bet its a real subtle sound.
I have tried the split shot every now and then. I like to add a small split shot about 24" to 36" up the line and treat it like a modified c-rig. But be careful not to pinch the line and weaken it. It won't matter so much if you add it to the braid part but will definitely affect the fluoro leader.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.