Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-06, 04:59 PM   #1
Bass Ackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Soft Bait Glue

does anyone know what ingredient they use in Soft Bait Glue, $9 for a 1/2 oz seems like a lot for glue.

Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 05:24 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nope, but it is worth the investment. I didn't think it was worth it either until I tried it. It really comes in handy securing a hula grub to a jighead.
Old 03-17-06, 05:28 PM   #3
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This might be a stupid question but....How long does it take to set up?

I would think the time would be pretty short.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 05:32 PM   #4
Rebbasser

It sets up quick but not so fast you can't get the bait the way you want it. Mike-the guy who makes it-is a good guy and will take care of you.
Old 03-17-06, 06:53 PM   #5
Bass Ackwards

I wonder if it's CA glue?
Old 03-17-06, 07:05 PM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

It is indeed a CA glue. It really is indispensible when you quickly want to repair a bait.. or like Reb says, keep the bait from sliding down the hook. There are some really unique and neat features about this glue chemically, I'm sure Mike (the owner/inventor) will be by and chime in with some cool info.
Old 03-17-06, 07:38 PM   #7
H2O

I used it all the time last summer. It worked great! you can even make some kind "senko" yourself by sticking different pieces together.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 07:47 PM   #8
Bass Ackwards

I thought it was CA.

Also Thank you Kevin for this forum it is great and has a wealth of information
Old 03-17-06, 07:47 PM   #9
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you can fix plastic baits using a lighter
Old 03-17-06, 11:30 PM   #10
lizardsrule

What are the kids saying nowadays, "IT'S THE BOMB" I bought several bottles of it, and I'm still using some 2 yerars later.

There are 2 downsides to this product IMO.

1. I keep glueing my fingers together rotflmao
2. It does dry a white/milky color.

Neither of these seem to affect my fish catching, and only help keep the bait on the hook longer. It dries even faster when you put it in the water, don't know why, don't care either, it just does LOL. I highly reccomend it, especially for those fishing senko's or lots of plastics. It will save you money, and it has millions of uses, just haven't figured them all out yet. But a little drop on your knot, as Mike informs us, will also help from line breakoffs, and keep it in place. I also use it for knots on spinnerbaits/buzzbaits, and all worm fishing, because it keeps my line from moving around on the bait, which I beleive that if your line keeps getting in the opening or the hook eye, or slides around on the baits will wear it out quicker. No I'm not paid or have any affiliation with Pro's Soft Bait Glue(trademark LOL) At least he hasn't offered my any sponsor deals yet. I would take it because I do believe in this product. Just wish it was available in more retail stores.

Lizards
Old 03-17-06, 11:37 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
1. I keep glueing my fingers together
Lizards, I sure am glad I'm not the only one that does that !
Old 03-17-06, 11:51 PM   #12
Kevin
Administrator

From what I have learned, unlike most CA (cyanoacrylate) glues, it is an anaerobic CA glue, meaning that the glue dries in the absence of air. What does that mean for us? Well, on a torn bait for example, you can put a drop in the tear and not worry about it setting until you push the plastic together and create a seal. This also answer's lizards finding of why it dries so fast when it hits the water. Because the air is gone, it sets immediately when placed in water.

To answer the problem with the drying with a white/milky color... that happens when you apply the glue on a bait that is very wet. Or when the glue hasn't dried completely and you get water on the bait. Best thing to do is just quickly dry the bait with either your fingers or pants, etc... just enough to get the big water drops off of it, then you shouldn't have any of the milky spots after glueing.

I occassionally glue my fingers to a few baits... that just comes with the territory. With a little practice you get really good and comfortable with it. And if you do get your fingers stuck together somehow... peel your fingers apart instead of pulling them apart. It works great I'm told (I'm yet to glue anything together ).
Old 03-18-06, 05:32 AM   #13
bassmar
BassFishin.Com Member

Can one not use normal superglue for all the above applications? Has anyone tried it? If so do the chemicals in normal superglue not degrade the fishing line? We don't get the fancy fishing glue over here and I am a bit nervous to use the other glues in case they have a negative effect on the line. Anyone?
bassmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 12:36 PM   #14
Bass Ackwards

How does the the anaerobic CA glue not dry up in the container, just curious?

I use to use CA for gluing Pocket Watch crystals on to the bezels, CA is water proof and normally leaves no residue which can not be said for Super Glue, what can be said for supper glue is that it sucks. After it dries it becomes brittle that guy in the old commercials tat glued his hard hat to the steel beam must have had balls of steel.
Old 03-18-06, 02:17 PM   #15
JB

Is there any safe way to connect lines together with this glue or any super glue, instead of tying a knot in the spool line and the line you are wanting to add?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 03:15 PM   #16
bassguy2004

I use the super glue to attach the plastic trailers on jigs, it works for me. No problems.
Old 03-18-06, 04:20 PM   #17
bass kicker

where can you get it? I might have to get some!
Old 03-18-06, 05:22 PM   #18
Bass Ackwards

If have success with it it must work. I just would not personally use it as I've never had much luck gluing broken things, like my wifes porcelain tea pot that I broke a few years back.
Old 03-18-06, 11:26 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwards
If have success with it it must work. I just would not personally use it as I've never had much luck gluing broken things, like my wifes porcelain tea pot that I broke a few years back.
Good news is that it doesn't matter if the bait is perfect LOL.

Thanks Kevin for the more detailed explanation, it makes sense.

Kicker and Bassmar,

You can order it online they are one of the sponsor's to this site, follow the link.

JB,

I have no idea, but I doubt I would use just the glue if thats what you are asking? I tie a twin tailed knot(that's what I call it anyways) it does help the knot stay together though, I do know that.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-18-06 at 11:45 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 01:39 AM   #20
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Default [[ FAQ's ]]PRO's Soft~Bait Glue

Hi All,

I was away for the weekend and just popped in here to snoop around found this thread.

All very good answers from Reb, Kevin and Lizard a couple others... They have used our product for a long time and yes, there is learning curve with it much like that first back lash you encountered when you didn't read the directions in the box on how to set tension...

We are working on distribution and keep checking back once in awhile on our dealers page. We are updating the site soon with some new content and updated material and will post many new stores. We have a couple of chains nationwide that we'll be in shortly.

Some advantages about PSBglue compared to other CA's (cyanoacrylates) are:

1. It cures/dries flexible and stays flexible for years later.

2. It's odorless once in the water just a few seconds salt or fresh water after you've rigged.

3. It will dry chalking as Kevin explained and is perfectly normal to turn white if you dont' wipe off excess with a cloth. Some Pro's dont bother to wipe it off either and one Pro commented, I believe it doesn't matter at all to the fish. Personally, I like the presentation to be as natural as possible so I wipe it before casting it.

4. It will not degrade or weaken any type of fishing lines tested todate and we've tested many braids, dacrons and flurocarbons too. NOTE: tested 10 through 17lb Izorline mono and flurocarbon tied KNOTS on the Tension-izer at the Classic this year. Palomar, Clinch, Improved Clinch, Bloodknots were the knots tested. We observed 100% knot strength and not one knot broke after using PRO's Soft~Bait Glue. Very impressive knot strength since many knots without using PRO's Soft~Bait Glue actually cut themselves if tied properly or improperly with enough tension placed the them.

5. A couple of notes and tips for all. You can get more mileage out of your bottle if you keep it cool inside the house when not using it for fishing for extended periods of time instead of in your hot tackle boxes and closed moist fishing rod lockers etc. It is heat sensitive like all other adhesives. Rig your baits and do not move them. Apply glue as rigged and our glue will wick into your rigs like water wicking into a sponge. You can also glue your texas rigged bullets weights to the heads of plastic baits and this will prevent wooden toothpicks and rubber pegging toothpicks from pinching your line against the weight, therefore weakening that spot and a possible breakoff.

That's all for tonight and I'll be notified by email of your responses so I can answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for you Sponsor Support and feedback. It's what keeps us in business!

Screemin' Reels!

Mike Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
What are the kids saying nowadays, "IT'S THE BOMB" I bought several bottles of it, and I'm still using some 2 yerars later.

There are 2 downsides to this product IMO.

1. I keep glueing my fingers together rotflmao
2. It does dry a white/milky color.

Neither of these seem to affect my fish catching, and only help keep the bait on the hook longer. It dries even faster when you put it in the water, don't know why, don't care either, it just does LOL. I highly reccomend it, especially for those fishing senko's or lots of plastics. It will save you money, and it has millions of uses, just haven't figured them all out yet. But a little drop on your knot, as Mike informs us, will also help from line breakoffs, and keep it in place. I also use it for knots on spinnerbaits/buzzbaits, and all worm fishing, because it keeps my line from moving around on the bait, which I beleive that if your line keeps getting in the opening or the hook eye, or slides around on the baits will wear it out quicker. No I'm not paid or have any affiliation with Pro's Soft Bait Glue(trademark LOL) At least he hasn't offered my any sponsor deals yet. I would take it because I do believe in this product. Just wish it was available in more retail stores.

Lizards
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 09:31 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

I love the glue idea. Havent bout any of our sponsors glue yet cause I havent used up the supply of crazy glue gel I bought last year. Once I do Pro Glue gonna get a order from me. About the glueing other things not intended to be glued......If I can screw up and get glue somewhere not intended I get a star for the day. Last year I think I got 3 stars for a full years fishing of approx 175 days on the water. LMAO get the picture.
Old 03-20-06, 01:50 PM   #22
Bass Ackwards

Thank you for the info on PSBglue I'll ordering soon, sounds like a great product that lives up to it's claims (hard to find these days).

I have one more question, how is it at joining two lines together with out a knot, like if I wanted to add a leader to braid but did not want the knot to pass through the guide, could I rely on the strength of the glue to keep my $12 lucky craft from flying into the middle of the lake?

Thanx again for everything including your support of this forum
Old 03-20-06, 02:23 PM   #23
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwards
how is it at joining two lines together with out a knot, like if I wanted to add a leader to braid but did not want the knot to pass through the guide, could I rely on the strength of the glue to keep my $12 lucky craft from flying into the middle of the lake?
I would not recommend doing this... even if it did work perfectly. You always ALWAYS want to attach a leader to your line with a knot. I don't even think you could successfully touch one end of the line to another to create a seal. The micro imperfections and hand movements would make it near impossible to create a perfect seal and fuse between the lines. Now what the glue works great at is strengthing the knots. So once you tie your knot, put a drop of glue on it and it isn't going to break... I've seen the machine tests in person... 100% knot-strength with the glue everytime.

A good leader knot like the double-uni shouldn't cause too much problems passing through the guides on your rod. Clip the tag ends very close to the knot and use the glue... you should be fine.

Mike of Pro's Soft~Bait Glue has been a solid and valuable sponsor of BassFishin.Com for many years. We should be very proud to have his support, especially with such a great product. Also, thanks to Pro's Soft~Bait Glue for providing our many forum tournament prizes we have had in the past and the Big Bass Tourney that is still up for grabs!
Old 03-20-06, 03:58 PM   #24
Bass Ackwards

Sold, I'm going to talk to the local tackle shop and try to get them to start selling this item. With that I accomplish supporting my local shop and we help support your sponsors.
Old 03-21-06, 02:56 PM   #25
jraap

get the brush applicator, works great and you won't glue your fingers together.
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.