Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-06, 01:05 AM   #1
harlan07
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Top Water Action!

Fished one of my favorite local south Mississippi lakes a week or two ago and had some hot topwater action. Total +/- 25 bass, with about 12 keepers over 2lbs.

The main ticket was the Rapala Skitterwalk over flats. After the sun got hot, the Rapala Long Cast Minnow and X-Rap seemed to draw more strikes. Loved seeing the fish slam the skitterwalk though. Sounded like a toilet flushing.

I'm guessing that the reason I did so well was due to the fact the fish were spawning? Normally, I would release fish if I suspected they had eggs, but the lake mgt. was encouraing us to keep fish between 2 and 4 lbs. to help blance the population, so I filled my freezer.

I also caught some Crappie (or Sac-a-lait as we say down here) on topwater, which I found very strange. At first I thought it was a random fluke, then I caught 3 or 4 more. Must be a sign of the end times.

Heading out again tomorrow to see if the bite is still on. Its been getting up in the high 80's for the last week or so here on the Mississippi Coast, so i'm thinking the fish will start heading for deeper water? Hopefully they will still slam the topwater baits.

My buddy also took this nice fish on a Skitter-Pop at a local public pond back in early April. I think it weighed 4lbs. 8 oz. It was released to fight another day. I think we caught about 20 bass that day, on Rapalas and a plastic worm rig called a Saltwater Assasin. Unfortunately, since this trip, the dam has developed a serious leak, causing the water level to drop dramatically. Some funky grass has taken over and the whole place reeks of dead fish. Hopefully it will one day be restored. It was an excellent place to get in a few casts going to and from the office. Every town ought to have a place like this. But with serious Katrina damage everywhere, I'm sure repairing it will be a low priority.

harlan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 10:48 AM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Looks like you'll be having a mighty fine fish fry.
Old 05-26-06, 11:55 AM   #3
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

ya. lots of good fish, but can i ask u in your name its says harlan. why? cuz im from harlan.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.