Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-09, 10:21 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default just wondering...........

ok now....bear with me on this.
here we are using baits like the redeyed shad, lazer eye spiners and such right? my question is this. it has been stated that the color RED is the first color to disappear in the water. IF this is true, why is it that alot of baits and spinners and such feature a RED eye? and why do we have RED baits? even orange is a shade of red in alot of cases. if red disappears in water somewhat, why do we have so many baits and lures that color? heck.... i even use RED line. what gives?
i have been wondering this for a while now. and wanted to hear some of the reasons and ya'll's opion. let's hear it now.
Old 04-15-09, 11:23 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think it is two fold Bama.
Red does disappear, but not for the first 10 to 20 foot. It disappears because the light waves that show red don't make it down past that point. I do not think that red line gives you any real benefit until you can get lower than 20 foot.
There are several who will say that red gives the bleeding bait look. Perhaps this does work in the shallows.
I use red braid on my frogging and jig rod. I only use it because it makes it easier for me to see. I figure that line detection by the fish is not as big of a deal.
Old 04-16-09, 04:10 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

two words: good marketing

companies will make anything new just so they can catch the fishermen and get his(or her) money.... now im not saying all that stuff wont catch fish but im not a big believer on the red eyes or the red hooks..... definately if you are crankin for a reaction bite the fish dont go look, "red hooks", they just attack.......

jsut throwin that out there... im sure some people will say that they belive red hooks make all the difference in the world... but thats my story and im stickin to it
Old 04-16-09, 05:31 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

its first to disappear on the color spectrum, yes.. the military uses it because it dosent impair night vision.

but the red on the baits makes it seem injured, and they would be come more interested as they get closer. i doubt they can tell from too far away anyway what color the bait is.
Old 04-16-09, 06:03 PM   #5
islandbass

Knowing what we know now, here are some words.

Gimmick.
Marketing Ploy
Angler Catcher

Red won't disappear as much as to turn black.

Just because a fish can't see the lure, doesn't mean they can't strike it. Their lateral line helps them with this. Yes, visual cues are something they utilize and rely on, but they are not solely dependent on it.

Even if it doesn't turn black or "disappear" for the first 20 feet or so, that is a still a decent visual margin for them in that first 20 ft or so. Water clarity and the particles mixed in it and the amount of light available also influence how quickly red or other colors change.
Old 04-16-09, 06:05 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Red line isn't usually red to begin with. More of a clear red. Different from lures
Old 04-17-09, 01:24 AM   #7
66KingFisher

I've often wondered the same thing.....I know the red thing is based on lightwave penetration but I would also think that water clarity has as much to do with it as anything.....red would look different in water stained like chocolate milk then in clear water or green water wouldn't it?

Also concider this.....i've seen lots of underwater video footage shot by scuba divers while swimming around ocean reefs.....in many of these videos the reef has a dull grey look to it until the cameraman kicks on his camera lights and then BAM....you suddenly see all the red, orange or yellow colors of the coral....even the fish will look a blueish grey until hit with light and then we see their bright vivid colors.....wouldn't something like red line act the same way....just looks like a dull grey or black until it gets enough light to show its color?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 06:20 PM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

no there is a difference. line for the most part is transparent. and a hard bait it is not transparent. i dont know for sure that red line "disappears" but there is prolly some truth to that. however a hard bait is not transparent so light reflects off of it.
Old 04-18-09, 10:13 AM   #9
bamabassman

thank you VERY much deleware, very interesting read you posted here. i will re-read this when the meds wear off. i ahurt my back and am on flexerile and another pill to ease the pain. i am a little whoozy right now. pulled muscle in my lower back. but from what i can tell red is a great thing to use. forgive me for sounding not quiet right, give me another day to recouperate,lol.
but truly, thank you.
Old 04-18-09, 11:49 AM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
thank you VERY much deleware, very interesting read you posted here. i will re-read this when the meds wear off. i ahurt my back and am on flexerile and another pill to ease the pain. i am a little whoozy right now. pulled muscle in my lower back. but from what i can tell red is a great thing to use. forgive me for sounding not quiet right, give me another day to recouperate,lol.
but truly, thank you.

Flexeril is an awesome muscle relaxer. Causes nice naps too
Old 04-18-09, 12:06 PM   #11
Bassboss

Wow! That's a great read Delaware!!!
Old 04-18-09, 12:26 PM   #12
Jim80

I had read a while back that red started to become prevalent when someone had noticed that craw's turned bright red while they were mating .

Jim
Old 04-18-09, 01:58 PM   #13
66KingFisher

That is some interesting reading.....Sounds like its more then just a gimick to catch fisherman.....guess i'll be buyin some red hooks...lol
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 02:29 PM   #14
Raul

A couple of years ago while checking my inventory I found out that I was running out of 3/0 EWG hooks, BaitMonkey said that we just canīt make it with 50 hooks in the T-box so we went out to purchase a few more; there I was at Academy looking for hooks and ...... you gotta be kidding me ! there was only ONE pack of 3/0 EWG Gammies in black/blue. . Ahhhh, but there were a lot of them in red , oh well, Iīm already here, BaitMonkey is hungry so I gotta feed it, there are hooks ( red hooks ) so ..... hey look ! they are even 25 cents a pack cheaper than regular hooks , letīs get "some" ( some @ Raul style ok ? ).

Came home, unpacked them and put them in the box along with the other ones. They make no difference in the catch ratio vs regular hooks. The only difference I found was that I "saved" a few cents per pack, enough saving to purchase me a couple of extra packs.

So my advice is: If you think and/or believe that red hooks, red dots, red whatever is going to make a difference and balance the odds in your favor by all means use it.

Last edited by Raul; 04-18-09 at 02:53 PM.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 03:21 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
A couple of years ago while checking my inventory I found out that I was running out of 3/0 EWG hooks, BaitMonkey said that we just canīt make it with 50 hooks in the T-box so we went out to purchase a few more; there I was at Academy looking for hooks and ...... you gotta be kidding me ! there was only ONE pack of 3/0 EWG Gammies in black/blue. . Ahhhh, but there were a lot of them in red , oh well, Iīm already here, BaitMonkey is hungry so I gotta feed it, there are hooks ( red hooks ) so ..... hey look ! they are even 25 cents a pack cheaper than regular hooks , letīs get "some" ( some @ Raul style ok ? ).

Came home, unpacked them and put them in the box along with the other ones. They make no difference in the catch ratio vs regular hooks. The only difference I found was that I "saved" a few cents per pack, enough saving to purchase me a couple of extra packs.

So my advice is: If you think and/or believe that red hooks, red dots, red whatever is going to make a difference and balance the odds in your favor by all means use it.

Bait monkey got hungry too, I just got a bunch of red gammies at gander

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.