Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-11, 09:37 PM   #1
TennTyrant
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tell me what I should do

Ok I have 2 rod and reels setup already and I have another reel ready for a rod. I am going to post what I have and need you to tell me what each is good for and what kind of rod I should get for the other reel and what to use it for. Thanks guys

Curado 200e5 on a powell 703-glass I use this for crankbaits the lipped Kind. Is this good for other things to?

Curado 200e7 on a saint Croix PC70MHF what all can I do with this?

Citica 200e ready for a rod and a job.
TennTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 11:42 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Powell would be fine for cranks, lipless and billed, with the exception of deep divers.

The St. Croix, I read you bought because you could not wait for another Powell, it will throw most plastics, spinnerbaits, light jigs. But as it's a fair rod at best, I'd keep it primarilly for spinnerbaits as they won't require a really sensitive rod, as would soft plastics.

Another rod for the new reel - I'd say go with the Powell you were orginally planning on purchasing and use it for soft plastics. Something around 7' in a MH/fast, best quality you can afford, for fishing the slow presentation plastics, would be my suggestion.

After that, I'd say you need a spinning rod for finesse plastics, drop shot, shakey heads, that type of bait.

The 3 baitcasters will handle most baits you're likely to throw, and the spinning rod will round you out pretty nicely.

Last piece of advice, when thinking about the slow presentation baits, buy the best rod you can afford, in the brand you prefer. You can cut back a bit when buying a rod for moving baits if your budget requires it. And, IMO, it's better to put off the purchase and save for better equipment a little later, than run out and buy something cheaper today. If you're like most of us, you won't be entirely happy buying "less" than what you originally intended and will replace it later - which costs you more money in the long run. I've been there, done it and have a drawer full of the tee shirts.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 12:28 AM   #3
TennTyrant

should I move the citica to the st croix for spinnerbaits and put the curado on the powell 733 for the soft plastics?
Old 07-18-11, 12:54 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The Powell would be fine for cranks, lipless and billed, with the exception of deep divers.

The St. Croix, I read you bought because you could not wait for another Powell, it will throw most plastics, spinnerbaits, light jigs. But as it's a fair rod at best, I'd keep it primarilly for spinnerbaits as they won't require a really sensitive rod, as would soft plastics.

Another rod for the new reel - I'd say go with the Powell you were orginally planning on purchasing and use it for soft plastics. Something around 7' in a MH/fast, best quality you can afford, for fishing the slow presentation plastics, would be my suggestion.

After that, I'd say you need a spinning rod for finesse plastics, drop shot, shakey heads, that type of bait.

The 3 baitcasters will handle most baits you're likely to throw, and the spinning rod will round you out pretty nicely.

Last piece of advice, when thinking about the slow presentation baits, buy the best rod you can afford, in the brand you prefer. You can cut back a bit when buying a rod for moving baits if your budget requires it. And, IMO, it's better to put off the purchase and save for better equipment a little later, than run out and buy something cheaper today. If you're like most of us, you won't be entirely happy buying "less" than what you originally intended and will replace it later - which costs you more money in the long run. I've been there, done it and have a drawer full of the tee shirts.
Couldn't agree more! I think the premier will work for your plastics for now, but I'd upgrade if you can, and use the Premier for moving baits like spinnerbaits and top waters in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTyrant View Post
should I move the citica to the st croix for spinnerbaits and put the curado on the powell 733 for the soft plastics?
I think that would probably be a good idea. Chuck and wind baits and usually on the heavy side compared to plastics. And if I'm not mistaking, the Curado can cast lighter things better (like texas riggs, and light jigs) then the Citica. I the Curado also is faster, which is a plus for bottom bouncing.
Old 07-18-11, 03:31 AM   #5
TennTyrant

I put the citica on the St Croix 7ft MH rod 17lb test for spinnerbaits

I have the curado 200e5 on the powell 703cb glass rod 12lb test for crankbaits

And I will be putting the curado 200e7 on a rod for soft plastics more than likley a powell but would like some suggestions.

And who makes some good spinners and buzz baits?
Old 07-18-11, 05:28 AM   #6
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I like war eagle for buzz baits and either war eagle for spinners or booyah
Old 07-18-11, 08:45 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think moving the Citica to the Premier was a good move as well. I'd use this combo for non-crankbait reaction baits like spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, etc.

Pair that Curado up with a 733CEF Powell Max and you should be good to go with all your plastics.

Two more combos I'd add to your arsenal before too long are a good 7' M or ML spinning rod to cover you finesse stuff like bassboogieman said. And a heavier casting rod spooled with braid to cover heavier jigs (the 733 will handle 1/2oz jigs + trailer, but 3/8oz is its "sweet spot"), frogs, pitching/flipping, etc. A 4 or 5 power Powell rod should handle these duties well. But I'd definitely get the 733 first as it will handle a lot of techniques very well and be a very versatile rod.

By the way, you can keep expanding and asking questions on this thread rather than starting similar new posts. It'll help us (and probably you too) keep track of answers, suggestions, recommendations etc. And it clears up this section of multiple posts from the same person regarding the same or similar topics.

BB
Old 07-18-11, 10:15 AM   #8
TennTyrant

Thanks I will do that.
Old 07-20-11, 04:53 AM   #9
Backwater Charlie

For spinnerbaits, I love Strike King. And for buzzbaits, believe it or not, my two favorite brands are the wal-mart kind and Culprit. I seem to catch way more fish on these cheap $1 buzzbaits than I do with the numerous Booyah and SK I have. Now spinnerbaits is a different story!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.