Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-12, 01:32 AM   #26
the pyromaniac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Say what you will about Sprawl-Mart and their fishing selection (or lack thereof), but it could be a lot worse. It could be KMart or Target...
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 01:37 AM   #27
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

"At the end of the day"...........the day has ended.
Old 01-22-12, 03:57 PM   #28
Backwater Charlie

This was actually the first time I had the chance to hold a good quality EVA foam gripped rod. They are DEFINITELY different than a $30 Ugly Stik grip. If I had $130 to spend on a rod I'd definitely check out a BuCoo, but I usually save that kind of cash for a reel.
Old 01-22-12, 03:57 PM   #29
Backwater Charlie

And maybe it is a Kentucky thing.. And I seriously have no idea why they would do it here, it's not like there's any big tournaments or any great lakes even close to it, lol.
Old 01-22-12, 05:32 PM   #30
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I noticed a few clearance bargains in ours today. I did not need anything. A lot of area needed re-stocking.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 05:47 PM   #31
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i htink they will re-stock in the next month. actually i can't wait really....wally world is the closest place for me. bps is a 2 hr one way drive. was "supposed" to have gone 2 weeks ago but the boss lady had different plans. don't wheni am gonna be able to go to bps so i am looking forward to wally's spring edition. ihope they do upgrade their stuff.
Old 01-22-12, 08:27 PM   #32
bassinbob

I used to include wall mart in my fishing shopping trips. Gander, Dick's and wall mart all in same shopping area for me. Now I only go there when I need dog food.
Old 01-22-12, 10:20 PM   #33
wallywallace

on all dayer, i hit up gander, bp and dicks, when i am asked to run errand or need a certain color or hook i will go to wallyworld
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 11:53 PM   #34
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
Is it not an option to not to count on Wal Mart for anything and everything? The Dick's in Tampa is pretty darn good. There is only one I think in Vegas and it looks to be where they send all of the stock that does not sell to die.

I was in the Vegas Dick's once. ONCE! I had a $25 gift card and still didn't buy anything. Gave the card away.

On the subject of Wal Mart, last I knew, the one near me has ****e for fishing gear.
Oddly enough, a decade ago, they had tons of fishing gear. Slowly dwindled it away, then the remodel into a super walmart.
I think Meijer may have a better fishing department than them at this point.

Thank God for Gander!
Old 01-24-12, 12:03 AM   #35
the pyromaniac

Two of the five guys I fish with are 22 years old. I remember when I was their age, Sprawl-Mart carried about 20 different brands of plugs. I bought Storm, Luhr Jensen, Yo-Zuri, Matzuo, FLW, Renegade, Bandit, and loads of other brands there back in the day that they haven't sold in years.
Old 01-25-12, 02:52 PM   #36
BassinBandit

Turns out at least one of our local Walmarts will be selling The Skeet Reese rods and Reels and Falcon Bucoo rods. Not to mention a few other things. Maybe walmart is starting to try to build a good outdoors department again.
Old 01-25-12, 04:27 PM   #37
the pyromaniac

I was in my local one about an hour ago and a guy was re-doing the fishing department. Maybe in a day or two there'll be something good.
Old 01-25-12, 04:50 PM   #38
wallywallace

bucoo, if they aint "the wallmart special made ones" arent the supposesed to be a really nice rod
Old 01-28-12, 05:47 PM   #39
wallywallace

redoing as i just got back, more rapalas, bandits cranks, yamotos, zman worms, new reels, vendettas, vengences, 2 kinds of lighting rods, skeet reese, a bunch of dif kind kvd rods,
Old 01-28-12, 08:12 PM   #40
carolina-rig-01

I stopped by the sporting goods department the other night while we were at Wal-Mart. They have certainly beefed up a little bit. They had some Okuma rods and reels (I didn't look to see what models) and they started carrying ZMan plastics, Tightlines UV plastics, and KVD 1.0's in addition to all the other KVD crankbaits they already carried. I am hoping that they start carrying Falcon rods and higher end reels to pick up the slack from Academys horrible selection.
Old 01-28-12, 08:35 PM   #41
wallywallace

yea, ours is raped by kvd stuff, lol half an isle is kvd, youd think he live in our city, hey carolina, i heard th zman chatters suck, but what about baits
Old 01-28-12, 10:05 PM   #42
joedog

Went to my local Wally's today.
Not only have they not improved or updated any tackle or poles or reels what so ever, the dept. actually got smaller.
Guy running the register in the actual dept so I asked him what was happening or any changes coming. Mentioned about hearing some stores were adding to the fishing.
He said ''I don't know, all stores are different". I said that I was hoping to find out about this one! I almost burst out laughing on the spot! This wasn't some kid, I think it was the sporting goods dept. manager.
Old 01-28-12, 10:42 PM   #43
carolina-rig-01

I just got back from another trip to Wal-Mart. They have added a lot more stuff since the other day. Now they have Skeet Reese rods, Abu-Garcia Vendetta and Vengance rods, Skeet Reese reels, Abu-Garcia Pro Max reels as well as the Black Max and Silver Max reels. They also have added Trokar hooks, the new Luck E Strike RC squarebills, Garry yamamoto Senkos, Strike King plastics, Strike King tungsten weights, KVD Triple Grips (this blew my mind), Manns Jelly Worms, some Netbait plastics, and a lot of other stuff that I know is slipping my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
yea, ours is raped by kvd stuff, lol half an isle is kvd, youd think he live in our city, hey carolina, i heard th zman chatters suck, but what about baits
Wally I don't know that I have ever used the Zman plastics. However I have used another brand of similiar plastic (Strike King 3X). It stretches like crazy and won't tear from catching fish. It seems to get a lot of bites but like anything else there are tradeoffs. It will react if you mix them with other plastic baits and will cause one heck of a mess. And I quit using it all together because I was having issues with it balling up on the point of the hook and keeping me from getting a good hookset (because it's so stretchy). On a side note I wouldn't call the Chatterbait junk. In fact I have caught a ton of fish on them. They are kinda known to have a pretty bad hook though. Rarely are they sharp out of the package and you need to re-sharpen them often because they dull fairly easy. I really like them in the post spawn around boat docks.
Old 01-28-12, 10:47 PM   #44
Jrob78

Damn, I might have to go check out a few of the 75 Walmart stores in my area.
Old 01-28-12, 11:16 PM   #45
wallywallace

i may get me some chatter baits by them, they are clearence for a buck 80, when i was a teen id have sucess on the jelly worm,(smelled good) but it seems my wallmart only has a ungodly like 14inch snake instead of a normal 7 to 8 inch worm, heck my shoe size is 14, lol i might pick up a vendetta spinning rod and a pro max, thing is i need a high gear ratio reel, but i belive it will throw my balence off it is heavier than the rod i am using

ps. jrob i got like at least 50 in a 30 mile drive, no joke
Old 01-29-12, 09:57 AM   #46
the pyromaniac

The one in Sevierville,TN had Z-Man and Chompers plastics, Xcalibur cranks, and KVD, Skeet, and Lew's rods/reels last night.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.