Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-07, 09:21 PM   #26
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I have seen guys out fish the best prepaired and most expensive gear equipped guys. You know why? Because they fish allot.

Gear helps about 10% I would say. The rest is practice..
you are 100% right capt mike,

just because some guy has 30 matching reels with matching brand rods..don't mean jack squat.. look for the guys with reels with worn off paint the rods might be a dozen differant brands. fixed and repaired. these are the guys that takes tourny fishing to the next level..

look at the boat ramp for guys that are out there every weekend. the ONLY way you get good at bass fishing is to be out FISHING!!

nuff said..

zooker
Old 03-20-07, 02:24 AM   #27
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am right-handed and prefer my the cranks on my bc reels to be on the left just as with my spinning reels. I also came from a spinning background first.

But let me just clear something up for you that came to me as an epiphany or revelation (as it the light bulb above your head that turns on when you have an idea or solve something).

I believe we as anglers confuse our hand dominance with how reel manufacturers define their reels. Unfortunately, our intuition will not serve us well here, especially if we are new or just coming on board the baitcast reel train.

One who is new might assume based on the how a bc reel is labeled by its maker that a right-handed reel is intended for a right-handed person and vice versa. Trust me, I know because the first bc reel I ever bought was a right-hand model. It was only after the very first turn of the crank that I discovered that it felt funny and that working the rod with my left hand was awkward to say the least.

So here is my take. When a reel manufacturer defines a reel as "Right-Handed" one's hand dominance do NOT come into play. They are just describing something as clear as a crystal lake. Why? Because for a RH baitcast reel, it is irrelevant whether the angler is right or left hand dominant. The angler's right hand is going to do the cranking. That's it. Conversely, regardless of whether an angler is left or right hand dominant, with a LH baitcast reel, the angler's left hand is going to turn the crank.

The bottom line is to find out which side is comfortable to you and get it. I am willing to bet that we will have people all over the map when it comes to what side they prefer to have the crank.

The next milestone that would be ideal is to learn to fish with both. I finally trained myself to cast with my left hand. It took some work, but I am glad I did. The main reason I did it was to ensure that if ever I had to fish opposite handed, say with someone else's gear, I would be good to to go.
Old 03-20-07, 07:10 AM   #28
FlyRod

Unaccustomed as I am to voicing opinions in public, and being rather shy by nature...

I am pretty much a "lefty"...writing, eating, buttscratching. I even kick a football (or used to, anyway,) left-hoofed. Oddly, perhaps, I throw right-handed and, of course, for 50 years, fingered trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns with the right hand's fingers.

When it comes to endeavors we will not discuss here in a family forum...ambidextrous, I'm happy to announce.

With a baitcasting rig I cast left and crank with the right hand, so use the "standard" reels. Conversely, with spin gear, I cast right and crank with the left paw.
Upside: I do not waste time changing hands. One of my fishing pals, a Mr. B. Lash, however, changes hands while the lure is in flight. This may account for some of the "Professional Overruns".
Downside: My casting hand/wrist rarely get any rest. I use baitcasting, on the average, at least 95% of the time, so the old left hand, wrist, shoulder, etc, take a beating during a long day. Since I dropshot with a specially "designed" baitcasting rig, rather than a spin rig, one potential rest period is lost.
Upside: Although there is a wider variety of left-hand retrieve baitcasting available today, I don't have to seek one. The spin reels, almost without exception, offer quick changes from left to right/right to left cranking.
Speaking of such, Rebbasser and I were at BPS y'day, exchanging a defective reel. Luckily, we noticed that the fine print on the new reel's box stated "Left Hand Retrieve" before we left. Dan, in the fishing department, cheerfully corrected the error. Great guy to deal and chat with, BTW.

I never have understood why, for decades, reel manufacturers and some rodmakers decreed that fishermen/women must change hands post-cast. There were rods, FYI, that had handles contoured for gripping with the left hand. Probably still are some out there. Then, when the French began to populate the planet with spin reels, such as the venerable original Mitchell (Michelle?) 300 (The version exported to Meh-hee-ko and parts south was NOT labelled "Miguel 300", contrary to popular myth.) and it's cousins, it was "Cast right, do not change hands, crank left."...go figure.
Conclusion: Do what feels right for YOU.

There! I feel all better now.

F.Rod
Resident Expert on Absolutely Nothing.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:07 AM   #29
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

all in all fella's opinions are like ****holes.....everyone's got one and some just plain stink.....so just go with what "you" know....and mike...stop butchering things that i say for i have an opinion too!!!!!!!!.....
Old 03-20-07, 10:06 AM   #30
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintxlady View Post
all in all fella's opinions are like ****holes.....everyone's got one and some just plain stink.....so just go with what "you" know....and mike...stop butchering things that i say for i have an opinion too!!!!!!!!.....

Yes, sorry I will go somewhere far away from the bustling crowd. How about right under there...

I just made you say underwear..

Capt Mike
Old 03-20-07, 10:11 AM   #31
Wishing2BFishing

Using a lefty eliminated that switch and eliminated those missed bites. Works good for me!

Jolly[/quote]

Jolly, I agree with you 100%.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 01:54 PM   #32
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

thanks for al the input fellas and lady fellas. and yea you did make me saw underwear lol. hopefully the bps in portage has the casting lanes you speak of up when i go. get to try out the leftys, cause i find swithcing hand when i use my righty not annoying but just nerving casue i dont have the switch in air down yet.
Old 03-20-07, 11:45 PM   #33
3dkicker

How about my 2 cents?? or am I too late??

I agree with Zooker....I use both left and right handed retrieves for my bait casting rods.

Flipping, pitching, spinnerbait, buzzbait, etc are all left handed. Crankbaits and topwater all right handed. By switching up I believe I am less tired after a long day of fishing.
Old 03-21-07, 08:20 AM   #34
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
left handed spinning right handed baitcaster.
Same here, I tried a left hand baitcaster and it felt strange.
Old 03-21-07, 09:01 AM   #35
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
Same here, I tried a left hand baitcaster and it felt strange.

Same here except I would set the hook and push the release bar. Can you spell backlash with fish on.

Capt Mike
Old 03-21-07, 04:16 PM   #36
Raul

Quote:
. Can you spell backlash with fish on.

Capt Mike
Itīs spelled: =)(&%$"!!!!!!!
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 04:17 PM   #37
Raul

Forgot to add:
Old 03-21-07, 06:05 PM   #38
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Same here except I would set the hook and push the release bar. Can you spell backlash with fish on.

Capt Mike
i have actually done this.. and raul is right on the spelling but not on the lenth of the string of cussin..

zooker
Old 03-21-07, 06:14 PM   #39
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to pbnstevo

I use a lefty, so does my dad.

It seems easier than casting with your left, than switching to your right, grrr.

Lefty is so much easier.
Old 03-21-07, 08:26 PM   #40
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i have actually done this.. and raul is right on the spelling but not on the lenth of the string of cussin..

zooker
Weeeeeeeelllll, I shortened it beacuse I donīt want you guyz to think I have a foul mouth.
Old 03-23-07, 11:23 PM   #41
Vabass22

What ever you start with, you will most likely get used to. Its all in personal opinion. See for yourself what feels more natural.
Old 03-23-07, 11:42 PM   #42
ILfishinman

well i have a right handed shimano calcutta i got from my gramps and i dont like that i have to work the lure with my left arm, used to doing it with my right.
Old 03-29-07, 10:32 PM   #43
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
spinning- lefty
baitcasting- righty
ditto

senko
Old 03-29-07, 11:27 PM   #44
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I reel with my left hand on both spinning reels and baitcasters even though I'm right handed because the dominant right arm is quicker to react, can produce more variations in lure retrieval, and is sure to drive the hook home every time.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 12:19 AM   #45
ILfishinman

K-Driz, thats how i look at it too the right hand works the lure, makes sence to work the lure with your dominant hand instead of wasting it reeling lol
Old 03-30-07, 10:18 AM   #46
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Quote:
WHAT? I do not buy the 60% gear talent thing.. I have seen guys out fish the best prepaired and most expensive gear equipped guys. You know why? Because they fish allot and apply what they have learned.

Gear helps about 10% I would say. The rest is practice..

My 1 cent

Capt Mike
Cpt. Mike,

I think my partner's meaning was that when the average joe, uses better equipment, they will most likely feel more strikes and hopefully land more fish.

I'm sure that BTL will agree with me that you can not give the best equipment in the world to an amature bass fisherman and expect them to go out and win their first tournament. Most everyone knows, it takes years of experience on the water to just find fish, let alone catch the big ones that will put you over the top.

My sweetie is most likely drawing from her own personal experiences on the water. When I first met her she was fishing with mostly low end gear that most folks start off with as I did when I started bass fishing. After a few dozen outtings with inferior gear, it was obvious to me that I needed to upgrade my equipment to "feel" those sneaky little boogers when they picked up my worm, grub or whatever I had tied on at the time.

Myself, personally, I like to tell folks here on the forum that I sincerely believe that for most of us "average weekend" anglers, all it takes to have fun and catch fish is a little basic lure knowledge, a positive attitude, lots of patience, and some good equipment. We all know for a fact, you can feel a soft tap on the line alot easier with a AiRRUS, Loomis, St. Croix, whetever, more so than if you are using a $14.95 walmart special.

Here's a silly example, if you wanted to go hunting with your buddies, you wouldn't want to take a BB Gun. You'd take something that you know is going to drop your target like a rock. (Assuming you hit it)

Just my 2 cents....

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 02:37 PM   #47
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I guess I'm the odd ball. I use right handed baitcasters and I swap handle on my spinning reels so I can crank with my right hand. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.