Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which handed reels do you use?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which handed reels do you use?

Old 06-03-09, 10:53 AM   #26
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm right handed, and I use both LH and RH baitcasters; but I prefer to use LH baitcasters for the simple fact that I want the rod where my strength is, in my right hand.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 02:37 PM   #27
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm like you, left hand, and left hand only for this man! I'd like to be able to use right handed reels, but only because of there availably, so reels never seem to be available in left had!
Old 06-03-09, 03:04 PM   #28
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

man, if they ain't available in lefty, they ain't worth it. That's why I love Daiwa Reels. almost every one comes in lefty. Abu's good about that too, especially recently making high speed Revos in Left hand.

BB
Old 06-03-09, 03:14 PM   #29
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
man, if they ain't available in lefty, they ain't worth it. That's why I love Daiwa Reels. almost every one comes in lefty. Abu's good about that too, especially recently making high speed Revos in Left hand.

BB
hmm, what's your fave Daiwa reel under 120?

Sorry bout getting off topic here guys!
Old 06-03-09, 03:29 PM   #30
BigBassin144

The only one I have under 120 is the Procaster SE and they don't make that one anymore. For 10 bucks more you can get the Tierra. I don't own one, but I've used it and it's a good reel.

Back on subject, I was really interested in seeing the numbers of who fished with whic hand. I'm surprised how many use both.

BB
Old 06-03-09, 03:32 PM   #31
Bassboss

Quote:
The only one I have under 120 is the Procaster SE and they don't make that one anymore. For 10 bucks more you can get the Tierra. I don't own one, but I've used it and it's a good reel.

Back on subject, I was really interested in seeing the numbers of who fished with whic hand. I'm surprised how many use both.

BB
Same here! wish I was like that!

Where you talking about bait casters or spinning reels about left or right!
Old 06-03-09, 03:38 PM   #32
BigBassin144

Both. I see now that a lot more people than I though use a different hand with the two.

I use both left handed though

BB
Old 06-03-09, 03:45 PM   #33
Bassboss

Quote:
Both. I see now that a lot more people than I though use a different hand with the two.

BB
Ya, I don't know many folks that use right handed spinners unless they're left handed!
Old 06-03-09, 04:20 PM   #34
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cast with my right and reel with my left on BC and spinners. I feel like a Goon reeling with my right.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 04:55 PM   #35
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:

BB
The only reason that I still bother with the right is when reels go on sale I never get there in time to get the few lefties that are offered.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:23 PM   #36
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Ya, I don't know many folks that use right handed spinners unless they're left handed!
Hehe, I took a guy I work with fishing, and he's pretty inexperienced as far as fishing goes. He was holding his spinning rod with the reel on top, and reeling backwards. So I showed him how you could change the handle on most spinning reels. He said it felt awkward cranking the other direction. Sigh...to each his own, I guess. I put it back the way he wanted it.

A baitcasting reel is a wrist-burning nightmare, because the center of mass and the force you apply when reeling it are located above the point of possible rotation. Every stroke of your handle, and the reel alternately wants to swing down clockwise, then counter-clockwise to hang under your rod. Your wrist has to counteract all of that torque, all day long. It's obviously why the desire has been to produce as low-profile reels as possible, to reduce the torque. I can't even begin to imagine how much your wrist would hurt after holding a spinning reel upside down all day every day.
Old 06-03-09, 06:28 PM   #37
BassinID

I have an uncle that has fished for years and still does it backwards (spinning reel on top) It drives me nuts to fish with him!
Old 06-03-09, 10:06 PM   #38
BigBassin144

wow, that's pretty bad. I saw someone the other day fishing from shore with a spinning reel on a trigger rod, granted it was at least the right direction. Having the trigger sticking up must be uncomfortable though. lol.

BB
Old 06-04-09, 04:27 AM   #39
BassinID

Quote:
wow, that's pretty bad. I saw someone the other day fishing from shore with a spinning reel on a trigger rod, granted it was at least the right direction. Having the trigger sticking up must be uncomfortable though. lol.

BB
Yep, he fishes it on a trigger rod, and its not just a convenience thing either, he has like 5 combos that way!
Old 06-04-09, 06:48 AM   #40
zooker

some guys cut the trigger off they can't stand them..

i retrive both cast both.. learning to switch cast is very difficult to do..

zooker
Old 06-04-09, 01:21 PM   #41
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I have an uncle that has fished for years and still does it backwards (spinning reel on top) It drives me nuts to fish with him!

It drives me nuts too. Just a couple weeks ago, I saw a guy with a casting rod mated to a spinning reel and another guy with a spinning rod mated to a casting reel. I wanted to slap them both so silly that I couldn't even concentrate on my own fishing trying to contain the laughter. I know, to each his own, but sheeeeeeeshhhh!
Old 06-04-09, 07:01 PM   #42
REDBULLCUBAN
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

People always think im lefty :/ haha im *** backwards but its been that way for many many years
Old 06-06-09, 10:16 PM   #43
Bender

I have always been reeling left on spinning and right on casting until a few weeks ago when I started reeling left on right-hand b/c reels for some casts on jerkbaits and spooks. So last week I broke down and got a lefty Curado and it is awkward right now, but it makes more sense and is easier working spooks.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.