Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-09, 05:28 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Arrow Been making some hardbaits!

Hey guys! I've been making busy the last two days making some hard baits! First thing I did was make a spook, than a little wake bait, than a little popper, and right now I've got a pencil popper out side drying! I used hard wood dowels to make all them. With the spook the first thing I did was cut out a 4" chunk of the dowel. Next thing I did round out the ends the back was more pointed than front. To make eyes I took the smallest eye screw home depot had and screwed it in the just under the nose of the bait. Than I took two more screws and put them in the belly and, tail of the bait. Once the eye's where in I took some black paint and went over the whole bait. After that dried I white bait, and dusted it over the whole bait with a paint brush. I let that dry than I put on the epoxy and hooks! I call it, the tough Puppy!

Next thing I made was a popper. I cut a 1.75" piece of the dowel, round the end, and made a whole in the nose using a drill. Than I painted it green, let that dry, than painted yellow spots on it, than black dots on the yellow dots! I let that dry than put epoxy on. When I put everything on but on the eyes, and the hook! Here's a pic, the body looks pretty bad, but I like the paint job! I call it the popper Jr. and the color bull frog.

Last thing I finished is the wake bait. And probably the hardest one yet! What I did was cut two pieces out. One was 1.5" the other 2". I took the screw eyes bent them out some, then I hooked the two together, and closed it back up, making a bait with two joints. Than I rounded the shorter end out to make the nose. Than I folded some sand paper, and sanded a tail shape out. Than I painted it baby bass color, let it dry, than put epoxy on and let it dry! Last thing to do was put on the hook. Here's a pic:

I'll get pics of the pencil popper up later when it's done drying!

I have yet to try them to see if they work, but I'll let you know!
Old 07-07-09, 05:37 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

fricking work has me blocked so i cant view the pics.....Im looking to build some lures myself ....how thick of a dowel did you use?....wish i could see em!
Old 07-07-09, 05:44 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
fricking work has me blocked so i cant view the pics.....Im looking to build some lures myself ....how thick of a dowel did you use?....wish i could see em!
Ah that sucks! I used 2.5 inch thick!
Old 07-07-09, 05:49 PM   #4
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Those look pretty cool.Keep doing it pretty soon you will be a pro.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 05:51 PM   #5
keithdog

Those are pretty cool. Ya know once you start making your own lures your hooked for life! But it's great fun and nothing beats catching something on a bait you made yourself!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 05:52 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

awesome thanks bro....yea i got a ton of extra trebles laying around and at work we have some scrap dowels/paint....figured on my lunch break i could start making some for fun/practice......let me know how they are in the water,good luck
Old 07-07-09, 06:27 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
awesome thanks bro....yea i got a ton of extra trebles laying around and at work we have some scrap dowels/paint....figured on my lunch break i could start making some for fun/practice......let me know how they are in the water,good luck
Thanks! I'll be happy to! I'll try to make a video of them working!
Old 07-07-09, 06:31 PM   #8
Jim80

those look really good for a first attempt at making them man , keep it up and you'll be a pro at them soon enough .

Jim
Old 07-07-09, 07:54 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

dude all of those look good, but im bettin that first one is gonna kill em....

keep showin us the pictures
Old 07-07-09, 07:58 PM   #10
Bassboss

Thumbs up

Ok guys! I got the pencil popper done! I call it, the pappi Popper! The color's call yellow bass. I took a 4" chunk of the dowel, sanded down on side to be a little bit thinner than the other! I took the one side sand papered it down to about a 90* agle, and I made a whole with a drill in the nose for the pop. Than rounded the tail. Painted it black, than but yellow dots along it. And a yellow line along the belly! Looks pretty nice, but ran out of hooks!

About the Tough puppy. I took it to a little canal down the road, no bass, but gar and the ocational bow fin. I didn't catch any gar, but I caught one bow fin, about 15-18"! Fun fight, but not a bass! It walks the dog great, a lot better than I thought too! Gonna take it for reals fishing tomorrow though! Gonna go to a place where my bro caught an 8lber with a crank bait, he got a pic on our friends phone, but he does not have a USB cable to get it on the computer. So, I'll have to go there with a jig (lots of wood) and catch a bigger one!
Old 07-07-09, 11:04 PM   #11
bamabassman

alright boss, nice first timers there pal. now fish em and see how ya did.
Old 07-07-09, 11:43 PM   #12
cassidyta

Those don't look half bad. If you haven't already done it, I would suggest a drop of epoxy inside any hole where you are adding a screw. I can't imagine the frustration of pulling back nothing but the screw.

There was an article in field and stream a few months ago where they showed how to use a small piece of copper pipe. Basically, cut it to preferred size, add a split ring to attach and then one for a hook. Some people paint them and some added eyes from a craft store.
It was rather rude looking, but there is no reason it won't catch fish.
Old 07-08-09, 08:40 AM   #13
Bassboss

Thanks a lot guys! Let me know if you've got any more ideas for some top waters!

Cass, Thanks for the tips, I'll do that on the next ones I do! Would it be ok if I took the screw out, than put epoxy in the same whole, then put the screw back in? You fallow?
Old 07-08-09, 08:50 AM   #14
Crank-Bait-Frank
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice looking top water baits BassBoss. Go ahead and put the epoxy in the holes and put the screws back in, it will hold.
Old 07-08-09, 09:10 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
Nice looking top water baits BassBoss. Go ahead and put the epoxy in the holes and put the screws back in, it will hold.
Thanks frank!
Old 07-08-09, 09:34 AM   #16
cassidyta

Frank beat me to it, but like he said yes. I do this with some of my purchased wooden baits.
Old 07-08-09, 05:27 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Frank beat me to it, but like he said yes. I do this with some of my purchased wooden baits.
Cool! Thanks cass!
Old 07-09-09, 03:36 PM   #18
Bassboss

I'm making an other spook.. it looks a lot better than the last!
Old 07-09-09, 03:42 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'm making an other spook.. it looks a lot better than the last!
so you got me wanting to make some,lol,...i got some of my drummers old drumsticks to cut up and try to make some poppers/torpedos...since thier already tapered and a good size..what kind of paint and epoxy you using?.....im not sure how it'll work,but if anything it'll be good practice..

w
Old 07-09-09, 03:47 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
so you got me wanting to make some,lol,...i got some of my drummers old drumsticks to cut up and try to make some poppers/torpedos...since thier already tapered and a good size..what kind of paint and epoxy you using?.....im not sure how it'll work,but if anything it'll be good practice..

w
I'm using acrylic paint, and "Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Superior Durability Clear Gloss" I putting on two coats on the polyurethan.

I see no reason the drum stick won't work. How think is it?
Old 07-09-09, 03:55 PM   #21
JB

Quote:
I'm using acrylic paint, and "Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Superior Durability Clear Gloss" I putting on two coats on the polyurethan.

thats "thick" ^
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 04:01 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:

oh good, i got a ton of acrylics.. (i do alot of oil painting as another hobby)
and the polyurathane

the drumsticks are probably 1.5'' diameter...about as thick as my pinky finger (guessing)......

now the question is where can i get those tinny-tiny split rings??...hardware store?
Old 07-09-09, 04:13 PM   #23
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i still havent gotten around to making my crankbait, but if it goes well, i plan to make some over the winter on the side, and try them in the spring
Old 07-09-09, 04:26 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
oh good, i got a ton of acrylics.. (i do alot of oil painting as another hobby)
and the polyurathane

the drumsticks are probably 1.5'' diameter...about as thick as my pinky finger (guessing)......

now the question is where can i get those tinny-tiny split rings??...hardware store?
lol, either ya need to get yaself a ruler, or you got sausage fingers (and play really big drums), lol

Anyways, Drum sticks are about 1/2 an inch in diameter. a normal 2x4 is about 1.5" thick. You can get balsa wood at any craft store if you'd rather do that.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 04:38 PM   #25
WaffleJaw

^^ hahaha,good call BB....i was talking about the circumference..(facepalm) ...so yea about 1/2'' diameter is correct.

he's got a box of broken/worn out ones at the room (i have no clue why?) so its an endless supply of hickory wood if they work out decently....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.