Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-06, 05:48 PM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fluke hookups

I love super flukes, and I fish them texas rigged on a Gammy 2/0. YEsterday, I went out, and must've had 12 nice hits, but only one hookup. What's the deal? Usually, I miss one or two when mishing flukes, but almost all of them is crazy. What did I do wrong?
Old 04-30-06, 06:33 PM   #2
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A 2/0 hook is a little small for fishing super flukes, IMO. You might try and use a 3/0 or 4/0.
Old 04-30-06, 07:35 PM   #3
Marty

I use a 4/0 extra-wide-gap with Super Flukes and Assassins. I also rig them upside down, with the fat side up, as I have a lot more confidence in the hookset with that rigging.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 08:03 PM   #4
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

dude,listen to these guys and use a 4/0 ewg.
Old 04-30-06, 09:09 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Some days you just have that happen. A couple of weeks ago I had the same problem-missed 9 fish because I couldn't get a hookset. Wasn't doing anything different, just wasn't my day. Next time out you probably won't miss one.
Old 04-30-06, 09:38 PM   #6
skeeter944

they also could have taken it in half way and were try to carry it off to there feeding spot where another bass wouldnt try to get the bass's prey and then,once in safety,it would then take it the rest of the way. i have had this happen alot lately,you should give them some slack and let them run with it a little bit,before ripping his lips off!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 06:00 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

2/0 definatley to small buddy. To much plastic in the way for a hook set. 4/0 or even better 5/0 for the 5 and 6" baits. One thing alot of people over look is the relationship of the hook point to the line tie. Owner is making a hook that is superior when using the larger plastics. If you will notice on most of your EWG hooks after the hook makes its turn to the point it is in a direct line to the line tie. This is GREAT for holding the fish. One draw back is that the plastic has to turn or fold up to expose the point. Owner developed the Extra Wide Gap Plus that has a point that is slightly out of line from the line tie therefore when setting the hook the point drives through the plastic and into the fish. This is one of the little things people need to pay attention to in order help make sure that you get good hookups and less lost fish. I have MANY MANY different hook styles and have taken the time to figure out what hook does it's job better at any given time.
Old 05-01-06, 06:34 AM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Use a 5/0 for the Super Flukes, in particular get the "TEXPOSER" 5/0

Lizards
Old 05-01-06, 07:30 AM   #9
flbassman

lright thanks. MAybe I usually use a bigger hook unknowingly? Well, next time I go out, 5/ 0 it is. What size is best for smallmouth?
Old 05-01-06, 07:33 AM   #10
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

One friend told me just the other day that if he is missing them on a fluke, he adds a treble hook over the point of the 3/0 hook and buries one hook of the treble in the back of the fluke, leaving two exposed and a little raised out from the fluke body. At first, he regretted doing this trick, but when you think of a crankbait with two trebles, it really isn't cheating. Enlarging the hook size like Marty suggests is a great place to start.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.