Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-11, 01:19 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Sweeping a buzzbait

I believe this would work best from a yak or tube. Not a great video production, but a good concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G8XGFTxFDE
Old 01-06-11, 02:01 AM   #2
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

LOL, looks like it could be effective.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 07:44 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've done this for years when working from docks. I walk along the dock and sweep various lures like that at the docks edge. It actually works pretty goood at times. But I've never done this from a boat.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 08:43 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have heard of a similar technique using a top water or shallow jerk baits on a long rod. There was also an article in BassMasters a few years ago called lost techniques or something like that. It would definitely take a lot of confidence to fish this way with just dragging the bait around off the side of the boat. It would make for some awesome heart jumps for sure though.
Old 01-06-11, 09:27 AM   #5
boloson

it just goes to show u that u could probably throw a piece of string with some rattle attached to it & probably catch a fish as long as there are fish in that area. makes me wonder if colors on lures actually makes a difference?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 09:28 AM   #6
boloson

by the way does anyone know where he was fishing? or the location afterwards of his kids? looks to be fresh & salt water
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 09:52 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

I thought I heard him say Florida in the video. I never heard him say if his kids were in school or not, we will let the truant officer control that and the salinity of the water was not mentioned or if it was brackish or not.
Old 01-06-11, 12:07 PM   #8
walkeraviator

Yeah, that looks like a really fun way to catch a fish. Like to see his face teh first time one of those south florida snakeheads hits it...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 05:01 PM   #9
3dkicker

looks pretty much like muskie fishing when the fish follows the bait to the boat but in this case the boat is over the fish....unless you spook them.

bubba - thought about the same technique when I watched it. Bassmaster did an article on it back in the 90's or even the 80's. Long rod, 10'+, and topwater or jerkbait. Pro's couldn't use it due to rod length restrictions.
Old 01-07-11, 05:06 PM   #10
Bass Junkie
BassFishin.Com Member

Google 'Jigger Poling".....
Bass Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:30 PM   #11
bamabassman

junkie, funny you mentioned jigger polling. i have personal seen this down on the delta in lower alabama. it was a semi large tourny. about 100 boats out there ready for take off.............and one little tiny flat bottom rig with a 9 hp motor, lol. 2 men, 1 middle age, the other aobut 60 something. anyway, they all take off except this little flat bottom. he waits till they have all cleared out. then putters along the shoreline with this LOG cane looking pole with a leader aobut 6 foot out there and a top water bait of some kind (never asked what it was). he was slapping the water just a little and WHAM! brought up a bass about 5 pounds. he kept this up most of the day. came in 3rd. i had to laugh. makes me feels a little humble with all the gear i have now. and he does so well with a long pole and a few topwater baits.
Old 01-07-11, 09:56 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

You can't argue with results and he did put fish in the boat by doing it. And I think that a lot of the bites he got he might not have got if he was fishing in a more traditional manner. However I believe a lot of the short strikes were because the fish were seeing him at the last second and I wonder how many fish he would have caught if he was casting to these places. It was a cool video and it goes to show you that if you have confidence in a technique or bait then you can get bites, no matter how off the wall it might seem.
Old 01-07-11, 11:01 PM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks BJunkie. I knew someone would remember the technique.
Old 01-16-11, 12:31 PM   #14
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
You can't argue with results and he did put fish in the boat by doing it. And I think that a lot of the bites he got he might not have got if he was fishing in a more traditional manner. However I believe a lot of the short strikes were because the fish were seeing him at the last second and I wonder how many fish he would have caught if he was casting to these places. It was a cool video and it goes to show you that if you have confidence in a technique or bait then you can get bites, no matter how off the wall it might seem.
I agree with you.
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.