Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-10, 03:50 AM   #1
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Depth Finder dilema

I am thinking of replacing/upgrading one of my depth finders and am looking for some suggestions as to what I need to pay most attention to while shopping around. I am currently using a Hummingbird 500 series (because thats all I could afford at the time) but I would like to get a little bit more out of one that what this has to offer.

I know there are several out there with all the bells and whistles but I would like some input on what main features I really need to compare. I am not on tour (yet) so I dont need the most expensive unit as I wouldn't understand how to read it anyway but I would like a good model that would give me a better advantage than what I am using now.

Fire Away!
Old 12-29-10, 10:30 AM   #2
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Since you already run a HB, you might want to consider one of the new units that also offers you Down Imaging. Compared to the standard units it's a world of difference. You'll see a whole lot more of what's actually down there instead of just a "blob" on the screen.
IMO, it's not important that you're "not on tour yet", but how much you really want to be able to see. I fish big water (Ky Lake), so a GPS unit w/Navionics chip was a good addition. Recently I added the HB 898si unit and it's worth it's weight in gold....to me, anyways. You didn't say just how much you want to spend or what waters you fish, but I'd definitely shoot for the GPS/sidescan unit.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 01:41 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I had a Humminbird Side Imaging unit on my Ranger that I traded off this spring, my Triton doesn't have a Side Imaging unit yet and I am lost without it. If you can swing one they are worth every penny, you will be amazed at what you will be able to find with them. However if spending that much money just isn't in the cards, then just remember the higher the pixel resolution the better. 480X480 is a pretty good resolution and I would recommend not going any lower than this because your detail will start lacking. With 480 or higher you will be able to dial in your sensitivity settings and be able to see your bait on the screen for techniques like drop shotting or verticle jigging, this also helps you get a lot better picture of what you are looking at and helps do away with a lot of guessing.

GPS is well worth the money as well, even if you know the lakes very well and getting lost ins't a concern. The fact that when you find a brush pile, rock pile, or any other type of cover or structure and be able to mark it and return to it quickly time and time again not only saves you time but also will help put more fish in the boat for you.

I personally would not buy a unit from Lowrance, their customer service is just plain terrible and if you have a problem with a unit there is a great chance that they won't even try and fix it for you but will try and sell you a new unit in it's place (unless you buy an HDS unit), and this is if you are one of the few people who can actually get a person to talk with you on the phone in the first place. Humminbird has amazing customer service and the few times that I had to deal with the customer service at Humminbird it was always a very pleasant experience and they seemed to really want to help me out.
Old 12-29-10, 02:00 PM   #4
nofearengineer

I second everything C-Rig has said but would add that vertical resolution is most important if you're fishing deep water. If you're fishing muddy 12-20 ft deep lakes all the time, it won't be as critical.
Old 12-29-10, 07:09 PM   #5
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

My main lake is Toledo Bend (La/Tx) I have been looking at one of the HB si units, particularly the 798c si. I like the 898c si but it is a bit out of my $ range for now. My main question is, "does it take some time to get used to it so that you understand what your looking at, or am I just an idiot?"

Having looked at a few screen shots of them I struggle to be able to understand what I am seeing while others walk up and say "thats a fish", "bait ball", "tree"...etc
Old 12-29-10, 07:22 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Warrior, I have an SI unit, and yes, for a while, it is kind of like you describe...a lot of head scratching. However, it's really kind of like learning to ride a bike. It's not gradual...you will have an "A-HA1" moment, where it all clicks in your brain. When you really understand what the SI screen is showing you, it's really fun.
Old 12-30-10, 10:52 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's the nice thing about the HB unit. When you power it up, it gives you the choice of running in demo mode. It will allow you to see every screen available in all the combinations. Not only that, but it also lets you make adjustments to get the screen just the way you want it (at least at first). Every change you make in demo mode changes the screen to reflect those changes so you can see the difference and will keep those changes in place once you make them.
One thing you should be aware of.....HB doesn't send a printed manual with the units, or at least they didn't. What you'll get is a DVD with instructions. I called their CS and had the printed manual within 3 days. I took the manual out in the garage and sat in the boat and played with the unit until I had things where I wanted them. So far I haven't had to change a thing on the water.
As for pricing, hit the web and look around. All my catalogs showed a price of $1500 for the 898. I found them for considerably less, plus free shipping and no tax. You might be able to afford more than you think. There are other considerations, too. If you don't have room at the console for the included gimbal mount, you'll need the large RAM mount at about $100 more (for the 898 and up). The Navionics chip will be another $150. An SD memory chip will be needed to download software upgrades from the factory and/or to store snapshots from the unit. A 2GB chip is about $10 at WallyWorld.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 12:44 PM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cabela's had a great offer on the Humminbird 798cSI the Friday after Thanksgiving. Complete w/transducer ro $699. That was the best I've seen for a NIB unit. Currently they are running around $1000. I did get one and almost went for the 998cSI on a one day internet sale yeaterday - $1506 w/transducer. I didn't pull the trigger as I want to use the 798 before changing out the remaining Lowrance units I'm currently using. Probably should have done it, but that's a considerable chunk of change to lay out right after the Holidays. Do some research, if you can get to BPS or Cablelas or another big sporting goods store check out the demo's in person.
After all the checking I've done I think Humminbird is the way to go. Customer Sevice from what I hear is EXCELLENT, Lowrance on the other hand is pretty bad and that's from personal experience. Hummingbird is better priced as it's side image (& down scan on the bigger units) are integrated within the unit. Lowrance you'll need to purchase a seperate unit to use their side scan - another $600+ on top of the price of the unit.
Whatever unit you decide upon - search the internet for best prices. I saw an 898cSI a few weeks ago for $1200 - it was a returned item (new, box opened) offered for sale by a warehouse clearance site. You can also look for used items on ebay or fishing boards like this one, but they are not much cheaper than NIB units which are being discounted pending the NEW models available in a couple weeks. Good hunting.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 12:50 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Just a pointless taunt from the monkey here, but the 1198 is coming out, so very soon the price on the 1197 should be dropping...a lot. It's going to take everything I have to not buy another one to fill the big ugly empty space in my case up with another.

My 1197 looks very lonely. To get another one would be the kind thing to do, right?
Old 12-30-10, 01:22 PM   #10
bcklash

Go for it bryce--goooforritttt:d
Old 12-30-10, 01:47 PM   #11
bassboogieman

I saw a NIB 1197 w/ducer for $1999. Too much for me at this time.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 01:57 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I saw a NIB 1197 w/ducer for $1999. Too much for me at this time.
Hell, it's too much for me...but I never let that stop me.

My only problem is I hear mounting an SI ducer on a motorized TM like a Terrova or Powerdrive is tough, as you can tear your cable up. I definitely have to figure it out before I drop that kind of coin into the big hole in the water.
Old 12-30-10, 04:56 PM   #13
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Well here is what I will be facing from the wife (who almost fishes just as much as I do)..."just cause you spend that much money on one doesn't mean your gonna catch more fish".....haha

Hopefully I will be able to explain............ Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-11, 08:10 PM   #14
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My wife always says .. guess how much fish, shrimp, lobster & crabs we can buy with that..lol whatta killjoy.
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.