Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-11, 04:03 PM   #1
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swimbait rigging Help

Hi there, new to the forum, went out to Briery Creek in Farmville Va yesterday.. 38* water, nothing biting the jigs, silver buddies or crank baits... decided to tie a Large money minnow with the money minnow(to see how it works) weighted hook... darn thing kept spinning & helicoptering... any tips on how to make these things swim straight? Thanks, Sam
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:09 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The only thing I can think of is you didn't have them rigged perfectly straight. You really got to watch that.

Also, if you were swimming them too fast they may barrel roll.

I haven't fished these a lot, so someone with more knowledge on them may be able to help you more.

BB
Old 01-17-11, 04:44 PM   #3
bamabassman

welocme ot the bes tsite on the web buddy. as for help with a swim bait.........sorry, i can't as i haven't got a lot of experience with them. but i will read this so i can learn as well.
Old 01-17-11, 05:02 PM   #4
SaminVa

Have been using the storm wild eye's in the crappie & golden shiner versions with great success & figured I try that money minnow & freaked when it started spinning.
Old 01-17-11, 05:25 PM   #5
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey Saminva, we fish Briery creek 3or4 times a year. But we had better luck at Sandy River last year.

OH and Welcome to the nut house.
Old 01-17-11, 05:25 PM   #6
boloson

i've never had a problem with these rolling over & i use a weighted hook with the cork screw coil to dig into the head of the bait. what type of knot are u using to the hook? a snap/ swivel to the eye of the hook will most likely solve the barrel rolls. my guess is the weight on the hook is sticking out of the belly more then usual. try to cover the weight into the belly of the bait more. and make sure the hook is on straight when it comes out of the back of the bait. hope that helps.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 08:27 PM   #7
keithdog

I started using that style swimbait last spring. I tried several brands and one thing I can definately tell you, the rigging has to be perfectly straight. If the hook is off to one side even slightly, it won't run right. Also how far you have the hook impaled into the bait makes a difference in how it swims in the water. It took me a while, but once I got the rigging down I started really nailing bass on them when the water was cold. Once it hit 55 degrees or so, it started slowing down. I can't tell you why, but thats what happened to me. Just hang in there with different sizes and styles of weights. After some experimentation, you'll get it down pal. And it'll be worth the trouble.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 09:13 PM   #8
SaminVa

I have the patience to fish them all day long... just gotta get it rigged correctly I guess. Thanks for your tips.
Big baits catch big bass....
Old 01-26-11, 11:36 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Sam, if you are using weighted shanked hooks-the kind with the lead molded to the shank-don't try to rig then in the traditional T-rig method. Instead, start with the eye of the hook and work it "backwards"-push the eye of the hook into the head starting at the bottom of the bait and work it to the nose.

If you try to rig it ion the traditional T-rig it will tear up the plastic and make the bait off balance.

If you need pictures of the rigging that is not a problem.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
Old 01-26-11, 11:45 PM   #10
SaminVa

Hey Rebbasser, I think I understand. But if you have a chance to put up a pix that'll work...I now have all kinds of hooks.. screw type with weight & regular w/ weight.. I'm tying a palomar knot... will try to get it rigged exactly straight & give it another try...
BTW we just got 2" of snow today... supposed to be in the 50*s this weekend though!!!
Old 01-27-11, 12:02 AM   #11
Rebbasser

Sam, I'll try to get some pics in the next day or so. a picture paints a thousand words, so....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.