Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-05, 02:00 PM   #26
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If your motor is not turning up enough on hole shot than the problem may be that the prop is to big. Raising the motor may pnly aggravate the hole shot.Do you hagve solid mounts. A 200 HP motor runing a 25 inch prop does not sound that severe but the degree of cupping and the blade lifting surface can be huge in this type prop. Why are you running a 4 blade anyway? Do you have a nose cone and low water pick ups? If not you are asking for real problems if the motor is as high as it will go.Also you said you had a jack plate but failed to say what off set. The further the offset the higher you can run the motor.Once you are up on the pad does the boat run nose up or transum up? At full trim does the boat ever chine walk? Fish2win
Old 10-24-05, 09:00 PM   #27
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

whoa!!!

The four blade was on the boat when I bought it. And no I do not have a low water pick up. In fact, when the boat is on plane the jack plate has got to be very close to the lowest possible setting in order to keep adequate water pressure. Not sure on the off-set. If memory serves I'd say about five inches. Now through tinkering over and over w/the jack plate I have found that starting w/the engine higher helps tremendously when im heavily loaded. But of course the higher the jack plate is adjusted the farther from the back of the boat the prop is. And now it starts to make sense. And also I have noticed that the blades on the prop are curled or cupped (whatever you call it). how does this benefit?
I haven't tried anything at all but I certainly think I'd like to lower the engine on the jack plate... and changing to a 3 blade prop.. It just seems that no one really knows what to tell me about the prop and it would be very expensive to trial and error. If I knew what the best all around prop for my boat was I would buy it.... when trimed out the motor is at best level w/the boat while the boat more or less level in the water// get the nose much higher than the back and the chine walk is baaaad!!!(but fun)
thanks for the help
ddc_5114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 06:04 AM   #28
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok I reread everything done so far and from what you have told me that when heavily loaded the higher jacked u are the better the holeshot. Once again this points to a prop that is actually to big for your present setup. Its really hard to get you into your sweet spot without being there at hand. I would very much suggest finding a friend that has a 3 blade and borrow it and give her a try. A 25p 3 blade doesnt have as much drag as a 25p 4 blade therefore it will spool up on holeshot. I really beleive your still running to much prop by what u have told me. If you cant find a person locally that is willing to let you try a prop give me a holler as I have a3 blade that I think you will like and I'll let u give her a try.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 05:06 PM   #29
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm pretty confident that you guys are right..I just started fishing w/a club and hopefully I can find someone willing to lend or willing to sell a used prop.
again guys, thanks a bunch!!!
ddc_5114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.