Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-06, 06:12 PM   #1
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass
Default keeping boat in water

This year, I am thinking about keeping my boat in the water at a friends dock. Since I am used to pulling the boat out each time I never had to worry about what to do with the motor. I'm not sure if I should leave the motor in the water or tilt it out of the water after each use. ? (This is brackish water)

I'm also wondering how long I can keep the boat in the water before algae starts to grow on the fiberglass and motor ?

Thanks for your input.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 07:35 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

about 9 months you can tilt the moter up but this forces the water inside the lower to run down into the nose cone resulting in a cracked lower unit. best thing to do if you must leave it is use a hoist or boat lift and remove the entire boat from the water. the skeg in the water is ok but no more than that. imo just yank it out of the water..

zooker
Old 01-13-06, 01:15 AM   #3
lizardsrule

Definately agree with Zooker. Unless you have a lift, take it out. I hate how quickly the scum, and muck will get onto your boat. If you leave it in, then I would leave the motor down.

Lizards
Old 01-13-06, 11:50 AM   #4
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Have seen alot of boats that were left in the water. Yes the scum does build up after a short time. As was said before remove the boat from the water. You'll save alot of time and effort .
Old 01-14-06, 01:31 AM   #5
bass kicker

remove the boat in canada it only take 1 -2 months for stuff to start growing on it im not sure how long it takes there but it is a pain removing it
Old 01-16-06, 08:08 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

All very good points and VERY GOOD advise. The damage that can result from leaving a boat in the water for long extended periods should make you want to get her out. All sorts of things happen to boats that are left in the water. The few minutes it takes for you to remove the boat will save you alot of money down the road.
Old 01-16-06, 04:16 PM   #7
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I was thinking of leaving it tied to the dock for a few days at a time. I do haul the boat around to various fishing spots up and down the Chesapeake. I'm hoping that leaving it docked for a week, (maybe two maximum), at a time won't have to much affect on the hull ?

But if it's the advice of the group not to do it ... then I will heed sound advice.
Old 01-17-06, 06:48 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
The damage that can result from leaving a boat in the water for long extended periods should make you want to get her out. All sorts of things happen to boats that are left in the water.
Just thought about something that I saw at the Coal pit. We got a huge amount of rain in a short period. Many of the folks left their boats in the water all spring and summer, and would take them out in the Fall. One guy had his boat tied to a dock, which was stationary, not floating. The water level raised so far up, his boat was just about completely under water because he had it tied to the dock, and as the water rose, his boat didn't. He had to do all kinds of work to get it running again, and I know it cost a lot of money to boot. If you do tie your boat to a dock, beware if it isn't a floating dock, and the rain is coming in good.

Lizards
Old 01-18-06, 06:34 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

That short a period will result in little to no damage as long as when you do remove it that you be sure and flush and clean. Remember you posted "brackish water" Brackish water does still have salt in it though being at lower levels it still attacks the sacrificial anodes on the motor as well as sets up corrosion. When leaving your boat for a short time in this water be SURE!!!! and disconnect your batteries. The electrolosis that occours over a short period is VERY detrimentall to a outboard wiring haeness. In fact ANYONE that leaves a boat connected to batteries that is stored for a extended period is VERY wise to disconnect the batteries on main motor and trolling motors no matter what type of water or where you are at. A battery left connected to the harness may not show the damage today but electolosis starts and keeps working to eat the wires up. I have seen boats 2 and 3 years old that where stored over the winter without disconnecting the battery and after the third year the harness on the main motor and the boats wiring was in BAD shape. All comes down to the old saying "A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Old 01-19-06, 06:15 AM   #10
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok ... thanks for the advice ... I didn't know about the batteries, I appreciate the input.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.