Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-07, 10:34 AM   #1
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need Boat Advice....quick!

It's scary buying your first boat. I've been saving my nickles, but am not a rich guy...I only have savings, no income.
Passed up 4 good buys on boats in the last 4 yrs, and I'm getting tired of waiting. Saw ad on Craiglist near me for 1990 19ft Nitro, with cover, trailer (single axle-small tires),2 fish finders, 2live wells, trolling motor with big foot, 1981 140 Merc inline 6. $4,250
That seemed like in my price range, and I always wanted a 20ft boat. Before I run up there and buy it, I phoned a local boat sales/repair shop. They said Merc in line 6 pile of junk, can't find parts to do rebuild if needed.
What do you guys think? Pass and keep looking?
surfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 10:50 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

My opinion, get what you want, and don't settle....you have waited this long, so why not give it more time and get the 20footer you want. You may not have to wait long, it could be right around the corner.
Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 11:35 AM   #3
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wait. If you do, you can get EXACTLY what you want. If you buy that boat, a nice 20 footer will be for cheap about 2 days later.
(or at least thats what would happen to me!)
Old 01-22-07, 01:07 PM   #4
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ask yourself this question. What do you want? If you want this boat, then get it. If not, then don't. It is your money that will be buying it and not anyone else's. Good luck with whatever you do decide.
Old 01-22-07, 01:35 PM   #5
skeeter944

those big boats are good in rough water,but i know i like a 18 footer,and i think thats what ol' zook likes also. but,get what you want a buy the best you can afford. welcome to the forum BTW!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 04:02 PM   #6
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks fellas! I phoned the man and cancelled the appointment to buy the boat. I guess I really haven't zeroed in on what exactly I want in a boat. I'm going to the boat show in San Antonio this week. Maybe get a better idea.
I guess most bass boats are 18ft, and a guide told me 20ft is too much boat to handle by yourself. But, I got the idea when I saw 2 18footers in a guy's yard, and a 20 ft beside them. I asked what's up? He said his partner and him were on Falcon Lake when there came a squall. Every time they hit a wave, the boat filled with water. Finally, he cut the motor, jerked opened the cooler and threw a beer at his buddy! "Were gonna die anyway, might as well enjoy it!" Said he looked up and here came a fella in a 20footer that reached right across two waves and once and walked right on. Told me he went right to the boat dealer when he got home a bought that 20footer, and was selling the other two. (That was years ago when I didn't want a bass boat yet)

Last edited by surfman; 01-22-07 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling
surfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 04:57 PM   #7
bassnman30

The six cylinder Merc. is not a good engine due the facts that you were stated. I have an 18' boat that handles well.
Alot of anglers these days prefer an 18' boat.
You may want a bigger boat so thats what you should get.
1990 ? Thats not even new,if you get a boat in that year range, make sure that everything is in good working order.
However, "Once you go Ranger, you'll never go back".
Old 01-22-07, 06:44 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pass the merc tower of power inline 6 is as stated hard to find parts for ....imo if you are buyin used look for a moter newer than a 95..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.