Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-11, 12:02 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Carolina rig senko, Dragging vs. hopping.

I recent got a bunch a senkos from someone on the forum. Most of them are larger 7" ones. I've been thinking of ways to use that the bass probably see less of. I was thinking a carolina rigged with a wacky or just EWG would be good. Since deeper bass probably don't see a senko deep, but are rather more used to seeing lizards, and big worms.

As far as retrieval, I was thinking it would probably be better to lift the rod, rather then dragging it. It would lift the senko up off the bottom and and let it do it's shimmy that a senko is know for!

So, since I can't try it for anyother few months, I was wondering if anyone has experimented with, dragging, vs. hopping a c-rigged senko. And which they had better luck with, and why you think you had better luck with one rather then the other.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-11, 12:09 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Unless you're going to be lifting the rod up quickly, it probably won't change the action of the rig much. If you're using a slow raise of the rod, the weight will remain on the bottom, similar to if you were dragging it. That said, I catch a lot of fish slowly dragging a t-rigged senko like a jig.

BB
Old 01-14-11, 12:57 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One option is to use a water bobber for your C-rig weight. I use this for trout, and have started implementing it in my bass fishing. It has a slow fall and can it raises off the bottom easier than a regular weight. It will react better to the rod tip being raised and settle down again slowly.
Old 01-14-11, 01:02 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Unless you're going to be lifting the rod up quickly, it probably won't change the action of the rig much. If you're using a slow raise of the rod, the weight will remain on the bottom, similar to if you were dragging it. That said, I catch a lot of fish slowly dragging a t-rigged senko like a jig.

BB
Guess I never thought of that, I'd definitely have to lift the rod pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
One option is to use a water bobber for your C-rig weight. I use this for trout, and have started implementing it in my bass fishing. It has a slow fall and can it raises off the bottom easier than a regular weight. It will react better to the rod tip being raised and settle down again slowly.
Theirs an idea! I wonder if my feel of the bottom would decrease much.
Old 01-14-11, 01:13 PM   #5
cassidyta

It does decrease some. The biggest issue is if your bobber is all the way full. The great part for me is how slowly it will fall through an area. It really pays off in the heavy weeds because it will often sit on top of them and then fall into the holes.
Old 01-14-11, 02:51 PM   #6
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would drag it. That is the way I fish a c-rig 90% of the time. The weight and bead "clicking" together is what draws the attention of the fish most of the time, I think anyways. I would not buy name brand senkos for a c-rig. The after market brands are less expensive and do just as good a as "senko" brand in this situation.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 03:12 PM   #7
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
+1.

I also catch alot of fish slowly dragging a t-rigged senko like a jig. I slowly lift the rod tip with every few turns of the reel.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 07:14 PM   #8
MIbasser

Oh, young bassboss..... a t-rigged senko is killer here in the north. I could tell you the color, but I would be giving away a lot of secrets. 4/0 EWG weightless, or with a 1/4oz weight or whatever is need to get it to the bottom. And if you think that they don't "see them often" brother, you have a lot of learning to do.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 07:54 AM   #9
keithdog

You could try this with a c rigged senko. You could give your rod short hard fast snaps causing the senko to dart around on the bottom. Plus a clicker next to your weight would cause a racket. I've never tried this but it sounds like somthing I'd experiment with. Also, if you want to make it hop in deeper water, why not try hopping it with a weighted wacky hook?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:05 PM   #10
Bassboss

Thanks for help guys. I really like that idea cass has got going. Seems like it's killer around heavy grass. I guess I've never really thought that a texas weighted senko would be good, I always it kinda defeated the slow fall wobble of a senko. I'll have to give it a try as well. I'll keep an open mind!
Old 01-18-11, 01:29 PM   #11
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

To accomplish the presentation I think you're looking for, you can try a heavy drop shot. The weight will contact bottom and you can raise and lower the rod tip to let the Senko flutter as intended. This could be pitched to docks or holes in the weeds... it could also be dragged like a C-rig.
Old 01-18-11, 02:39 PM   #12
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I drag mine 90% of the time.

Question about the Senko though. Would it be better to use a soft plastic that floats and stays above the weight regardless of presentation choice (dragging or hopping)? A Senko will sink to the bottom and remain their, right? Or am I missing yet another delivery method of a Senko?
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 03:03 PM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiK View Post
Or am I missing yet another delivery method of a Senko?
It'll float to the bottom wiggling and quivering like a senko does, after the drag or hop, it'll wiggle and quiver like a senko again. There is no wrong way to fish a senko
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 12:07 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Try bothy, BB. Traditionally dragging it is the way to fish it, but hopping it may be just the ticket.
Old 02-02-11, 07:33 PM   #15
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Personally, i never weigh down a senko. I have done it in the past and have had a bit of success but that was Texas rigging. Senko's are very heavy, so you really would have to get them off the bottom in order for them to sink they way they are designed. Personally, if i'm sittin a soft plastic on the bottom and retreiving it, it's gonna be a worm. A worm is going to handle the cover better because senko's are fat and stoft, so them going through branches/rocks, it's gonna rip them up more then a Zoom worm or something with a lower profile...
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:30 AM   #16
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

There are many times I fish a Senko Texas rigged and weighted. I cast out and let it hit bottom. Then I slowly drag it back like a Carolina rig. I catch more fish this way than unweighted in the Spring.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 11:12 AM   #17
fiker
BassFishin.Com Member

I first started using 4" Dingers texas rigged weightless on a Gammy 4/0 ewg hook here in the clear waters of Michigan. Seldom do I deviate from that.

But when I do, I either go wacky style weightless, or wacky with one of the jigs that are designed for wacky style.

It's tuff for me to fish in heavy wind with the Dinger rigged weightless, but the wacky jig head has helped out a lot.
fiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.