Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-13, 10:17 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Cabela's stands up - or rather STANDS DOWN

It hubbub and mayhem here in PA the last few days since the organizers of the Eastern PA Sportsman's Show in Harrisburg announced a ban on sales, display or pictures of "so called assault weapons" at this years show scheduled Feb. 2 -10. They also in their infinite wisdom included large capacity magazines in the ban.

So, Cabela's pulled out from thier participation. I understand BPS is also pulling out. Many of the "celebrities" that were doing the seminars of making appearances at sponsor's booths have withdrawn. Also many of the gun shops that take booths at the show have pulled out.

This is a major show in this area and it appears in may be going in the tank. Many sportsmen's clubs and organizations are promoting a boycott of this year's show by their members and the public in general.

Way to go Cabela's and everyone else that will not support decisions like this and stand up for our Second Amendment rights. Will this spread to other shows across the Nation? I hope not, possibly the backlash here will give other show organizers pause...

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-21-13 at 10:23 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 11:04 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's great to see a stand being taken by large companies like Cabelas, and BPS, along with others. They will cause other to take notice, and encourage standing up for the Second Amendment.
Old 01-21-13, 11:56 PM   #3
bamabassman

Good for all of them !!!!
Old 01-22-13, 03:26 PM   #4
1/4 stick

We had a accidental shooting at one of our gun shows and they didn't go that far. Personally, I agree with the decision to they made about private gun sales here. They didn't ban anything except private gun sales because it was a private seller who was neglectful in unloading the shotgun. http://www.wral.com/private-gun-sale...ting/12000843/
Old 01-22-13, 03:54 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Our gun shows here hire off duty officers to man the doors. All guns coming in must be checked by an officer to be sure they are not loaded. That would be a simple policy to implement at all gun shows. The organizers should hire trained people to check all guns coming in and that should eliminate any chance of an accident.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 03:58 PM   #6
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Our gun shows here hire off duty officers to man the doors. All guns coming in must be checked by an officer to be sure they are not loaded. That would be a simple policy to implement at all gun shows. The organizers should hire trained people to check all guns coming in and that should eliminate any chance of an accident.
That's what they had there, but somehow they hadn't checked this guy's gun.
Old 01-22-13, 04:39 PM   #7
bassinbob

I laud the decision to pull out of the shows.
Old 01-23-13, 09:14 AM   #8
AUFred

If we do not stand up we are going to lose more rights every day. Good for those willing to take a stand.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 10:04 AM   #9
Abbeysdad

I'm not getting it...so show organizers ban assault weapons and large magazines and 'everybody' pulls out to make a statement? Seems to me no more gun shows is what the ominous 'they' would really like...right? It seems to me a better statement would be to participate in a show with a LARGE sign supporting all weapons under the 2nd amendment of the bill of rights!!!

Ya know, they made us put seat belts on, stop smoking anywhere in public and in NYC it's even illegal to drink a 16oz soda pop - this illusion of freedom continues to fade.

In the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, in violation of their oath to defend the constitution, New Orleans police under 'Marshall Law' went door to door and confiscated guns from law abiding citizens. These same citizen's later cowered in fear as the streets were ruled by gun carrying looters - shots fired night and day and no law enforcement anywhere around. Many survivors of Katrina, some who never owned a gun before, said they would never again be without at least one firearm... and you can bet they'll tell police that ask that they have none!!!

The 2nd amendment gives us the right to bear arms for self protection and to prevent the tyranny of an oppressive government FOREIGN or DOMESTIC.
A lot of very good men and women have given their lives to secure this right.

Some supporters of the ban claim that it was written in a time of muskets and flintlocks and the founding fathers did not foresee assault weapons. This is true, but they also did not foresee a military with rocket launchers, tanks and gunships either.

Some delusional people think some new gun law will prevent criminals and crazy people from getting a gun and doing mayhem. A gang leader was interviewed and he said he welcomes stricter gun laws...but they don't apply to him or his crew! (I don't know if any crazy people were interviewed).
Gun laws merely restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

As someone else wrote...If a drunk driver smashed into a group of kids at a school bus stop, would we ban alcohol or automobiles? Same logic, right?

I'm not a gun nut and don't own an assault weapon, but I think the 2nd amendment is a right we simply must continue to cherish as a fundamental right.
Old 01-24-13, 02:31 PM   #10
bassboogieman

More grief unfolds. The Eastern PA Sportsman's Show - POSTPONED. More fallout, vendors withdrawing, what a mess. Can you believe how stupid this British organization group can be? They really have no idea, I can't believe how they could have misjudged the reaction to their decision. FUBAR is now a part of the British vocabulary...
http://wearecentralpa.com/fulltext?nxd_id=430912
Old 01-24-13, 03:48 PM   #11
pro reel

I agree, they could have participated in the show, with large signs as abbeysdad recomended, That may have made a small statement, to those that went and saw the signs. On the other hand though, A boycott of one of the biggest sport shows around shows the whole nation that we are not going to take this and that we will not support with our money any organization that trys to further the gun grabber agenda. The folks that run this show just got taught a valuable lesson and the government needs to take a look at this also and see just how commited we are to standing up for our rights.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 05:11 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Kevin, I was going to respond, but you summed up what I was going to say perfectly. The other side has been playing hardball for quite some time now, and it is high time we started doing the same. No negotiating, no compromise. Simply standing up for the Constitution and settling for nothing less.
Old 01-26-13, 12:54 PM   #13
USMCbassman

What are these assault weapons everyone is referring to?
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 02:27 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post

Apparently, anything with a scary black paint job that you leave in the trunk of your car while you kill a bunch of people with your handgun.
Old 01-26-13, 08:08 PM   #15
Jrob78

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Apparently, anything with a scary black paint job that you leave in the trunk of your car while you kill a bunch of people with your handgun.
Yep, I think the "official" definition of assault rifle is any semi-auto, removable magazine fed rifle with black, non-wooden furniture. Makes sense, right?
Old 01-26-13, 08:49 PM   #16
USMCbassman

Thanks for clearing that up!

I thought assault weapons were banned in 1934, are heavily regulated by the NFA and considered "Title II" firearms.

I guess it all depends on who you ask. Fineswine and cronies state otherwise...
Old 01-26-13, 08:58 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up!

I thought assault weapons were banned in 1934, are heavily regulated by the NFA and considered "Title II" firearms.

I guess it all depends on who you ask. Fineswine and cronies state otherwise...
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. Those are "machine guns", completely different than assault weapons.
Old 01-26-13, 10:15 PM   #18
USMCbassman

Well crap...everything I've read then must a be lie!

I'm glad I don't any assault weapons then and if I do they must be defective! I do know that I have a couple of defense rifles though.

Joe, you've got me all confused now! LOL
Old 01-26-13, 10:55 PM   #19
lilmule

Technical note assault rifles were and are full auto capable,not semi auto.
Politically correct now is to include anything that resembles one with say a ten rd mag.Like a hipoint 9mm carbine.
The ak 47,m16 varients for sale here are semi auto unless class 3 which requires boo koos of money and paperwork.Notice none of the nutcases are armed with those.
While they look menacing no more so than a garand 30.06 used by most us ground forces during ww2 its semi auto,more accurate and with longer range than the more modern m16,ak etc.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 11:57 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Good for them. I would not have gone to this show either.

Assault rifle? ANY weapon can be an assault weapon-even my 1851 Navy.
Old 01-27-13, 07:59 AM   #21
joedog

Default Finally something intelligent!

Never thought I'd post a reply from this guy!

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-gun-cont...-politics.html
Old 01-27-13, 09:28 AM   #22
bassboogieman

So, just for the sake of argument (debate):

Quote:
Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas,"
So "he" wants to institute a NATIONAL BAN - that's EVERYBODY. That means DISCRIMINATING against the "rural" areas because the "urban" areas cannot control themselves? Hey, the "rural" areas are where the people with some common sense own these types of weapons and the "bad guys" are smart enough to stay the f*** away from them or get there arses shot. It's the "uban" areas that the liberals INFEST and it's "those people" that want to ban the defensive weapons of which we are speaking.

What does that prove? Banning the weapons will only result in the "bad guys" having them. The result - us "county" guys will now have to put up with the crap the "urban guys" now put up with, ie - CRIME & MAYHEM SPREADS ACROSS THE NATION. Maybe the government should reconsider their postiton and provide surplus military weapons to the resident (without any criminal history, of course) urbanites, so they can take care of themselves like their country cousins.

Oh crap, I forgot the foremost tennant of the current administration - citizens can't take care of themselves, the government must do it for them. I can't wait until my government appointed arse wiper arrives so I can take a dump.

Remember, it's just for the sake of discussion.
Old 01-27-13, 11:17 AM   #23
joedog

I want to state something.
The post I made wasn't due to me agreeing or even being able to tolerate this PUTZ!

I was just sharing the 'typical political' LIES and IGNORANCE that seems to be the 'politics of America' today!
Old 01-27-13, 12:59 PM   #24
bassboogieman

And I was fleshing out the rebuttal to an obvious ignorant Head of State. It was "his" comment, or the person writing "his" thought, that was being addressed. Not yours KWB*, it is truely obvious to anyone with just a smidgen of common sense where the Idiot in the White House is comming from, and we have to listen to that crap for FOUR MORE YEARS. The kool aid is mixed he just has to get a few more to drink it.

*I know your scratching your head. Kayak Winning Bidder (I got my fingers crossed for ya)

Quote:
ANY weapon can be an assault weapon
Correct - if it's USED PROPERLY!. I have a stick that I picked up in my back yard - definitely qualifies as an "Assault Weapon". Maybe I should turn it in for a $100 gift card exchange in Phila?
Old 01-27-13, 05:10 PM   #25
bcklash

Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show - Update - January 24, 2013

Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

Now they are calling them sporting rifles.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.