Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-05, 09:30 PM   #1
lake life
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Scum on bassboat

I live on a lake, and left my Ranger at my dock during the summer to jump in and fish when possible. I have now pulled it out, ( falls about over in Ohio) prepping it for winter, I have this algae or growth on the bottow of my boat that I have tried with my pressure washer with little success.
any suggestions on cleaning?
Concerned'
Lake Life
lake life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-05, 10:37 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Buy a boat lift for next year LOL. There are specific cleaners designed to remove the stuff. But after it sitting in the water for a season, it may not all come out. Call you local Ranger dealer, and ask for the right stuff. For my aluminum boat it can take a acidic type cleaner, doubt that would be good for a fiberglass though.

Lizards
Old 11-08-05, 01:35 AM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Muratic acid , brush it on in a well ventilated area, let it sit for about 15 minutes and then spray it down with your pressure washer. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 01:59 AM   #4
pig n jig

If you have any kind of mask respirator, it would be very beneficial while applying the acid.I can't stress enough that you will want it in a well ventilated area, like pulled outside in your drive way.I worked for a Marina and had to clean several boat hulls during the fall season. The acid is so strong, it will leave a burning sensation in your throat and lungs if you inhale alot of it at once.I have not seen anything work better to clean the hull, it will look brand new with very little effort. I hope this helps, P N J
Old 11-08-05, 11:50 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mr Clean magic eraser works well,
also,Why spend money on those expensive hull cleaners when you probably have ingredients at home to do a great job. I use a 1 qt. squirt bottle, add 1/4 cup of vinegar, 2 table spoons Dawn dishwashing detergent, fill with water. Spray this on your hull and wipe off with a cotton cloth.
Works wonders on grease, grime, water lines or spots and plain ole dirt. Also an easy short term polish job is done with plain ole PLEDGE furniture wax. Spray it on, wipe it off.
Makes your boat look brand new.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 05:36 PM   #6
pig n jig

JB, I took it as his boat has been in the water all year long.That takes alot to get the hull clean again. Your post reminds me of the phrase "its like shooting a bear in the @ss with a BB gun". Now that right there is shure enough Funny. P N J
Old 11-08-05, 09:13 PM   #7
lake life
BassFishin.Com Member

JB & Jig & Pig,
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try, any other options let me know. Thanks, Lake Life
lake life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 08:28 AM   #8
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

After you clean it, give it a coat of Lemon Pledge furniture polish.....let cure for a couple days and polish it a second and even a third time. Easy to apply and works well to keep scumlines off here in Tennessee and maybe even your problem scum as well. Used it a couple times on my motor, really works well here.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.