Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-07, 01:04 PM   #1
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

Default just moved to virgina

so i just moved from the hell hole of chicago and now am stationed in norfolk virgina and was wounderin is there any good bass fishin around me or if anyone lived near by i no its been awhile since ive logged on but ive been in school for the past 6 months and im about to go overseas for another 6 months but i should have a little time to fish before i go
tournyfisher508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 04:34 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tournyfisher508 View Post
so i just moved from the hell hole of chicago and now am stationed in norfolk virgina and was wounderin is there any good bass fishin around me or if anyone lived near by i no its been awhile since ive logged on but ive been in school for the past 6 months and im about to go overseas for another 6 months but i should have a little time to fish before i go

Thanks for your service, and stay safe. Don't know anything about Virginia other than watch out when in the backwoods areas. I heard tell you sometimes can hear dueling Banjo's

Lizards
Old 04-05-07, 04:51 PM   #3
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey man... I'm in the Richmond area but there are supposedly a number of good public lake down your way near Norfolk. I'll try to find out the names and areas and get back to you. The saltwater fishing is good down there too!
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 10:24 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Head up 64 towards Richmond and fish the James or Chick. rivers. Chickahominy Lake is amazing in the summer with the cypress trees, grass, pads, and drop offs. Diascund reservoir is good from what I've heard too. Back Bay used to be outstanding until they started pumping salt water into it. Ruined a fantastic bass fishery. Roanoke Rapids, Gaston, and Buggs Island are all great bodies of water to fish. FLW and BASS fish Gaston and Buggs all the time.
You now live in one of the best Fall, Winter, Spring rockfish waters in the US. The outer banks is a great place to fish too. Pick up a copy of Woods&Waters at the local tackle shop and read up.
Old 04-06-07, 09:16 AM   #5
Captmikestarrett

I remember Mt Trashmore had a nice lake to fish..

Also Chicks Beach will good for saltwater surf in about a month..

Duck Creek has some bass way in the back if you have a boat. But the shore fishing is way too muddy.

Capt Mike
Old 04-06-07, 01:12 PM   #6
3dkicker

Also check out VA Game & Fish....they did a report on small bass lakes in Suffolk and Norfolk in the past year. Can't give you an issue # or month. Sorry.
Old 04-09-07, 01:54 PM   #7
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tournyfisher508 View Post

Hey I live in Newport news and I fish the NN resivior all the time with good luck. You can try Cheatum Annex it is awesome fishery, Lake prince I heard is good check out www.bassjonns.com they got a list of lakes in the suffolk area kinda close to you I wanted to join em but they're to far for me to drive every weekend. I hope this helps. OH btw I have never had any luck up in the chick/james unless you want catfish
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:32 PM   #8
3dkicker

The Chick/James have had a few rough years. Due to floods and droughts the bass population took a hit. I've fished both bodies of water for years and the Chick was hit especially hard. That changed about five years ago and both are rebounding well. Also the private stocking of these rivers has helped too. Last year the fishing improved and this year should be much better. Plus tidal water takes a little time getting used to if you haven't fished it much before (I don't know how much experience you have on tidal water.).
Old 04-09-07, 08:02 PM   #9
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

ZERO NONE exp on a tidal river. I can tell you it sure is fustrating. I have pretty much just put it on my spot to go catfishing. I dunno maybe I'm just putting in at the wrong spot which is right there off 5 on the eastside
Old 04-09-07, 10:33 PM   #10
3dkicker

I've been out of there a few times. You have a couple really good small creeks within a short run that you can fish for bass. I prefer the Chick river above the cut through and I really like Diascund creek. In the summer when the elephant ear pads are up (recently the hydrilla has destroyed a lot of the old fields) you can catch bass on the drops. Find pads that drop into 4-6' of water. If you find arrowhead pads then you'll probably find some quality bass. Remember the elephant ear pads grow in 2' or less and may be out of water at low tide. Arrowhead pads are covered throughout the tide. Look for little cuts or feeder streams at low tide and fish the pads and drop above and below the cut. I look for baitfish in these areas. Usually they mean bass are around.
The James river in this area is tough. I would launch up in Hopewell on the Appomattox river or further up river. The closer you get to Richmond the more likely you are to find smallies. Learn to fish the wing dams and other man made structures on the river.
Old 04-10-07, 09:46 AM   #11
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

We are far enough north to get smallies here? I have never caught a smallies I think that would be cool if I could catch some. Do you know anything about Waller ridge I've heard it has a good population of freshwater rockfish in it
Old 04-10-07, 02:11 PM   #12
3dkicker

Are we far enough north to have smallies???? "SON!" Every major river in the state has smallies!!! James, Rappahannock, Roanoke, New, and Potomac not to mention all of the tributaries and small streams in the Shenandoah valley and the Blue Ridge Mts. Smith Mt. lake is known for it's smallmouths and stripers. You need to take a little trip north and/or west and spend a couple days wading the small streams. Fantastic smallie fishing in July and August when the rivers and stream levels drop and you find them in the deeper pools or above/in/below the rapids .

Nope never heard of it. I don't do much striper fishing on the Chick or James (if Waller ridge is part of the river).
Old 04-12-07, 04:59 PM   #13
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

No I dont think it is I think it is a man made lake/pond. I dont like that fact that everywhere in around Newport News you can only use a trolling motor except the chick I have checked every lake in the vicinity the biggest outboard you can use is 12 and I got a 30 so it is doing me no good.
Old 04-14-07, 05:26 PM   #14
3dkicker

There are only one or two natural lakes in VA, the rest are man made and usually used for drinking water or power. Probably explains the trolling motor only. Some of the small lakes can be very good. Buy an extra trolling motor battery, trim/tilt the big motor, and go fishing!!! This is going to be a fantastic year fishing in VA. I've heard some very good reports on bodies of water that haven't produced in years. Take advantage of it.
Old 04-15-07, 04:31 PM   #15
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh I do every weekend the weather allows me too. That cold front that came through last weekend really messed them up dropping the water temp from 62 to 55. The weekend before was awsome fishing I went yesterday and water temp was back up a little to 58 but nothing biting. Next weekend should be good though.
Old 04-19-07, 08:50 PM   #16
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys that should really help hopfully i can have a chance to fish w/ some of u guys i really want to beable to fish a tourny when i get back next year or before i leave this summer if u want to give me a call 224 730 2717 we plan to go to a beaver dam i got a 4 day weekend this weekend if u want to go w/ me and and a couple of my buddies that i work with but we found this really nice lake off of 64 next to a walmart and a dicks sporting goods me and my buddy caught 10 the first day w/ two 4lbs and the next day i caught two 5 lbs back to back ill tell u wat they give a lot better fight up here then the do in florida but thanks for yalls help im gonna have to try those spots out
Old 04-20-07, 11:23 AM   #17
tournyfisher508
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite64a View Post
Hey I live in Newport news and I fish the NN resivior all the time with good luck. You can try Cheatum Annex it is awesome fishery, Lake prince I heard is good check out www.bassjonns.com they got a list of lakes in the suffolk area kinda close to you I wanted to join em but they're to far for me to drive every weekend. I hope this helps. OH btw I have never had any luck up in the chick/james unless you want catfish
yeah me and my buddy tryed NN resivior w/ no luck but that was last weekend when it was really bad weather w/ the thunderstorma and the tornado warnings and we only really checked it out from the bank but it is a realy good looking lake its got a lot of points and when u get past the walkway that goes across the lake its got a lot hof hydrilla and vegitation i really want to fish it from a boat

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.