Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-11, 10:44 PM   #1
Ptb803
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinning reel opinions

well, after many years and many fish, my abu cardinal gave out on me today while fishing. I want your opinions on a good tough everyday working mans spinning reel that is not to expensive and very reliable. I was looking at a lews speed spin but have never owned one. any comments on this reel would be great also.
p.s I will only use 10lb. test for this reel
thanks
Ptb803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 10:49 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you could find another Cardinal. Case closed!
Old 06-06-11, 10:55 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Pflueger President at under $70 is very hard to beat - I used them for years. Now using the Pflueger Supreme reel, lighter weight magnesium frame that I like. If you can do $100 check them out.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 11:04 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The Cardinals are decent reels. I used a 301 for a few years.

I've never used the Pflueger President, but the Supreme is a good reel for $100. You may even be able to find last year's Supreme XT (the gold-ish one) for even less since they redesigned that reel. I didn't think the XT was worth the extra cash, but now, like I said, you can probably find it cheaper.

I've heard good things on the new Lew's casting reels, but nothing on the spinning.

BB
Old 06-06-11, 11:38 PM   #5
Bassboss

I think any of the big three's reels will do ya good. As long as it's all Al. construction. Graphite will conk out on ya after a while.

I've gotta (previously owned) Daiwa exceler 2500 that's been doing me well this year. Casts very nicely.
Old 06-07-11, 07:25 AM   #6
docknocker
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive been using Cardinals for years and prefer them over even my quantum tour edition.
Have a look at the 500 series Albi.(probably 503/504) for 10lb.
Best of luck
SteveO
docknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:00 AM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As stated above, check out the cardinal 500 ALBI. I use the 502 size for bass fishing, but would probably go to the 503 for C rigs and large baits. The ALBI is built very strong and should last a long time.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 01:07 PM   #8
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a Saros 3000 for inshore saltwater and freshwater.If you look real hard you can find them for $99 free shipping (ebay).The extra spool is nice.You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Saros and the Stradic Fi when fishing both side by side.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 10:53 AM   #9
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gander Mountain Guide Series

Absolutely love my GM reel and it is priced right. I think they are made by Pfleuger, but I could easily be wrong. I have one spool with 20# Powerpro braid and the other spool with 10# Stren mono. I use the PP when I want to finesse with light plastics. If you have a Gander store nearby, check it out.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 08:46 AM   #10
Captmikestarrett

Try a Okuma Avenger at 35 bucks. When it breaks in 5 years buy another.

Capt Mike
Old 06-15-11, 10:07 PM   #11
JerseyFisher

I have a couple Shimano Sedonas and they work really well day in day out. Only $60.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 07:28 PM   #12
tim4081

Shimano Sahara. You can get one for $80. I got one four years ago and its gotten alot of work and never failed. Smooth drag and retrieve....you can't go wrong with one.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 10:45 AM   #13
Mono Man in IL
BassFishin.Com Member

Might be a little more than what you want to spend, but if you're wanting to stay with Abu consider the Soron SX or STX series. I've got 3 of the STX 20s and just picked up a STX 40s on clearance at GM for $107.97 out the door. Very nice reels for the money.
Mono Man in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 01:55 PM   #14
3dkicker

Cardinal 500 series ALBi are great reels. I've used Shimano Sahara's, which are a good option, for years but have started to switch over to the 500's. Sweet reels and worth the money. I've been using one for 3 years now and has held up to a lot of use and abuse. You should be able to find either on sale for $50-60. Check ebay too.
Old 06-29-11, 04:46 PM   #15
IowaBasser

I've been doing a lot of research on spinning reels between $50-$80. The two names I see repeatidly are the Pfluger President and the Shimano Sahara. I haven't bought one yet, but have read a lot of positive things about both reels.

Cardinal reels come in a very close third. I think all three are probably decent reels.

I'll be buying at least one spinning reel considering the anti-reverse broke on my 20 year old Diawa. I have no complaints - That was my only rod/reel combo for a long time and I fished it hard and honestly didn't take that good of care of it when I was younger.

I've had a Shakespeare Catera for about 4 years, and it's been a great reel for the money, but they're discontinued now. Last weekend I lost it overboard trolling for walleye - long story: I had my rod in a rod-holder, pointed out to the side and horizontal; I had the saftey snap hooked wrong: over the top like you would for a bait-caster instead of undernetah like I should have for a spinning reel. I snagged something on the bottom while I was reeling in another reel (you can troll with 2 rods in Iowa) ...I turned off the trolling motor and was reeling in my 2nd rod so the lines didn't get tangled. The wind turned the boat sideways so the rod was pointing directly at the snag, and it just slid out the rod holder! I threw out a bouy to mark the spot, tied on a big spoon with lots of trebble hooks and started casting. I managed to catch the line, but the damn rod was now snagged on the bottom. I tried for 30 minuted to snag the rod with my spoon and treble hooks. I was in sixteen feet of stained water, just a little too deep to swim for it. I only had 8 pound mono on the rod, so didn't want to pull too hard. Finally I cut the line, tied the end with the rod to the bouy and went in to the house to look for something to help get my rod and barinstorm for ideas. After an hour, I went back out and tied 20 pound braid to the line coming from my rod snagged on the bottom. With the trolling motor I started making big circles around rod and on my second circle it came free!

I was late getting home and left the reel at my Dad's lake house without cleaning it, and it was a muddy mess. I'm hoping I can take it apart and get it clean this weekend, but you never know how a reel will work after being submerged for nearly 90 minutes and full of muck.

Anyway, I'm down one reel for certain this year and possibly 2. I'll probably end up with a Pfluger President.

Last edited by IowaBasser; 06-29-11 at 04:54 PM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 08:22 PM   #16
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
I have a couple Shimano Sedonas and they work really well day in day out. Only $60.
What he said!
Old 07-01-11, 10:17 AM   #17
cbwalls
BassFishin.Com Member

Pflueger XT - Very solid reel. I have never had any trouble with mine.
cbwalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.