Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-07, 11:19 PM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Last big fish of the year???

This could be our last big one of the year as the weather is turning cold. Jr. caught this one virtually dead sticking a senko in about 12-15 feet of cold water. We were on the windblown bank of pond we often fish. We almost lost this guy in some timber, but the boy played it pretty well and dad got the net in!
It was about 19.5 inches long, I didn't have a tape, i used the diameter of the net as a tool. What would you say for girth/weight? I know asking you to guess from a picture is an inexact science... but I 'd like your input.

I was about 5 minutes into a lecture about why we shouldn't expect any fish today, but should just enjoy being outside together when Jr. set the hook. it was the only decent fish of the day. well worth the cold fingers.

Thanks again to everyone here who I've learned from and been able to pass it down to my son!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov. Bass trim.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	1843  

Last edited by brushhog; 11-05-07 at 03:57 PM.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 09:09 AM   #2
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Nice fish there.
Old 11-05-07, 09:26 AM   #3
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Here are a couple my girl caught last week. Not as big as the one your boy got. All together we caught about 20... not a bad day on the lake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1724sm.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1845
Old 11-05-07, 11:04 AM   #4
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
This could be our last big one of the year as the weather is turning cold. Jr. caught this one virtually dead sticking a senko in about 12-15 feet of cold water. We were on the windblown bank of pond we often fish. We almost lost this guy in some timber, but the boy played it pretty well and dad got the net in!
It was about 19.5 inches long, I didn't have a tape, i used the diameter of the net as a tool. What would you say for girth/weight? I know asking you to guess from a picture is an inexact science... but I 'd like your input.

I was about 5 minutes into a lecture about why we shouldn't expect any fish today, but shoud just enjoy being outside together when Jr. set the hook. it was the only decent fish of the day. well worth the cold fingers.

Thanks again to everyone here who I've learned from and been able to pass it down to my son!
Nice fish there Jr. My guess is 4 to 4 1/4lb. However, it is a good fish. Hey Perkdog! You got a little "cuttie" there. I see you are teaching here the ways of dad. Good job. Carpy

Last edited by CarpMan; 11-05-07 at 11:27 AM.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 11:26 AM   #5
brushhog

Perk, Nothiing better tha fishing with the kids, I would guess from your locale that your fishing weather is better than ours!! Ours was 39 and windy...

Carpy, sound about right, I told the boy 4.5 he's desperate for 5 pounds, he weighed one at 4.75 this summer - He swears this one "felt Heavier"
Old 11-05-07, 12:32 PM   #6
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah Brushhog it was in the mid to upper 70's with a light wind...still got some good fishing days left down here in GA although it is getting a little cool in the morning.

Yes sir Carpy teaching her just like my dad did...she really enjoys being on the lake with her dad.
Old 11-07-07, 12:53 PM   #7
hokieboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Great catch man. At 19.5" i would say 3 and 1/2 pounds. Usually 21" is 4lbs and 24" is 5 or so. Thats just a guess but that would be my guess from experience with fish that size. Catch a bunch that size in the ponds i fish. Great fish for the little guy though.
hokieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 04:32 PM   #8
dodgeguy

here in ny 19.5 is 3.5 to 4 lbs.
Old 11-07-07, 06:45 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

nice fish..

zooker
Old 11-07-07, 06:48 PM   #10
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieboy View Post
Great catch man. At 19.5" i would say 3 and 1/2 pounds. Usually 21" is 4lbs and 24" is 5 or so. Thats just a guess but that would be my guess from experience with fish that size. Catch a bunch that size in the ponds i fish. Great fish for the little guy though.

24" bass is way heavier than 5lbs!

Lizards
Old 11-07-07, 08:43 PM   #11
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Yeah, a 24" bass is Around 10 pounds or so... find a pic of a 24"er and see the girth on that baby... Nice fish Jr! I'd say a good solid 3 1/2 to 4 pounder.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 10:30 PM   #12
brushhog

Thanks for the feed back fellas, I went by feel for around 4 pounds. Jr is desperate for a five pounder as the season winds down. He had a couple at 4.5 and one at 4.75.

A 24 inch fish would have to be awful skinny to weigh just 5 pounds - something like ten inches in girth. Even a snakey looking 24 is going to weigh 7 pounds. The 21 incher Jr weighed at 4.75 was pretty thinned out... there is a picture of it here somewhere labelled great day for son bad day for dad, or something like that. Anyway, it is snowing today so that really may have been our last good fish!
Old 11-07-07, 10:51 PM   #13
hokieboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess my Rapala Scales are off b/c it says the 24" fish im catching are 5-6lbs and they aint skinny. Not tryin to start an argument by any means. Just what i had seen from my experience but i guess my scales are off...
Old 11-08-07, 11:42 AM   #14
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieboy View Post
I guess my Rapala Scales are off b/c it says the 24" fish im catching are 5-6lbs and they aint skinny. Not tryin to start an argument by any means. Just what i had seen from my experience but i guess my scales are off...

Hokie, If you are catching 24in bass with sizeable girth, then I would say you are in or close to the 7.5 to 8lb range. Carry a seamstress tape with you and take measurements . Use the fish calculator formula, which is Length x Length x Girth / by 1200 . This will put you within 3/4 Lb + or - of the actual Wt. I do believe your scale is a little off. Hope this will help you.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 12:09 PM   #15
brushhog

Hokie,
check your scale with something that you know the weight of,like a weight plate or something. I chucked a scale that was less than a year old because it was consistently inconsistent Post some pictures of those hawgs i'd love to see them.
Go Hokies Go - Gobble - Gobble!!!! My cousin played baseball at Tech in the late 80's and was drafted by the Mets...
Old 11-08-07, 12:15 PM   #16
hokieboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Dont have any of those pics up here with me. I will deff post them when i get them.
Old 11-08-07, 08:10 PM   #17
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

definitely get rid of that scale. i have some cheapo scale i use the measure tape on, but i know the 2 and 3 pounders from this year were bigger than that, but not according to my scale. awesome fish there guys, hope the winter isnt around to long, becuase i cant wait to get back out in the spring, lol.

ken
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.