Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-09, 11:04 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Picking a finesse rod.

I've always been a run and shoot type of fisherman. But I'm thinking of giving finesse fishing more consideration this year when things get tough. I already have a spinning reel that I think will work very well. But I need a rod to go with it. I'm not so much asking which brand and model, although that may help, but rather I'm wanting to be sure of the right build of rod for finesse fishing, such as using a shaky head with a 1/8 or 3/16 oz jighead for example. I was thinking a 6'3" graphite spinning rod with a medium action and fast tip would be about right. But maybe I should go with a medium light action rod. I saw a rod advertised as a finesse rod and it had an extra fast tip with a medium action blank. So I thought I would see what action and length rods you guys who fish with shaky heads and other finesse techniques use.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 11:11 PM   #2
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've always been a run and shoot type of fisherman. But I'm thinking of giving finesse fishing more consideration this year when things get tough. I already have a spinning reel that I think will work very well. But I need a rod to go with it. I'm not so much asking which brand and model, although that may help, but rather I'm wanting to be sure of the right build of rod for finesse fishing, such as using a shaky head with a 1/8 or 3/16 oz jighead for example. I was thinking a 6'3" graphite spinning rod with a medium action and fast tip would be about right. But maybe I should go with a medium light action rod. I saw a rod advertised as a finesse rod and it had an extra fast tip with a medium action blank. So I thought I would see what action and length rods you guys who fish with shaky heads and other finesse techniques use.
id definetely look into this one. i use a 6'6'' medium action and i fish shakey heads and baby boo jigs but nothing more and i like it. it is a little heavy for the shaky heads so i recommend the one i bolded if your getting no larger than 3/16 oz
Old 04-14-09, 11:40 PM   #3
Rebbasser

Keith, for shakey head I like a MH action. They are a little harder to find, but worth it IMO. I find I can get a better hookset with it.
Old 04-15-09, 09:11 AM   #4
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Keith, for shakey head I like a MH action. They are a little harder to find, but worth it IMO. I find I can get a better hookset with it.
Yeah. as long as the tip is sensitive, mines not. i have a cheaper rod and the tip is just as hard as the rest of the rod, but it does take a reel down to the water to not have to catch up to the fish, when i set hook you can only hear that reel goin ninety to nothin!
Old 04-15-09, 02:16 PM   #5
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah just make sure the tip is sensitive..... you can have a 12 foot H rod but as long as it has a soft tip you will be able to catch em (kind of an overstatement... dont jump on me for it)..... i use a 6 foot M for skaky head.... soft tip.... it works great
Old 04-15-09, 02:52 PM   #6
swimbaitkid

I have 7ft ugly stick I use for a ton of stuff, I catch way more fish with a lighter rod than a heavy rod, I lost 2 fish this past weekend with a shaky head, and my friend with $300 Kistler lost 4-5 fish, I had 8 fish that day and he had 2, the rod usually puts the hook in the top of there mouth
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 03:50 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Shimano Crucial. I'm sure you can find a good finesse rod in this line up. I use the 7'2" DS rod for DS, but I think you could use one of them for a finesse rod. maybe the 6'8"M?

BB
Old 04-15-09, 04:15 PM   #8
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For me the action is more important than the power, but personally I use a 6'8 M with a fast action. Its light and sensitive. Other than that, go nuts. I also like an exposed blank instead of a forgrip, it seems to make a big difference. If you're looking for low price with decent performance I don't think you can beat the new berkley amp rods.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:22 PM   #9
zooker

the shakey rod i use is a 7 foot ml... the extra lite tip has a better hook up rate than a mh with a shakey head -using spot removers..

zooker
Old 04-15-09, 06:58 PM   #10
keithdog

My worry about MH action rods for shaky head fishing is that the heavier action of the rod would be overkill for 8 pound line. Unless I went with 20 pound braid which has a very small diameter close to 6 pound line.
Old 04-15-09, 07:04 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

The "supposed" pro at Gander Mountain walked me over to the Fenwick Iron Hawk when we were talking about finesse worms and shakey heads.
I bought one a week ago and love the rod, although i'm not experienced enough in finesse fishing to say yea or nay.
If you have a Gander close by, might wanna check it out
Old 04-15-09, 07:43 PM   #12
TGRrod
BassFishin.Com Member

I would recommend a rod in a 6'10" or 6'8" med power and x-fast action. It is light and you get more response with the tip fishing that style. I'm in Alabama and get alot of customers that buy rods for the shaky head in that length and action. I prefer to build with the Recoil gudes to get more of the feel of the jig and worm. I fish with the 6'10" model.
TGRrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 09:06 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
The "supposed" pro at Gander Mountain walked me over to the Fenwick Iron Hawk when we were talking about finesse worms and shakey heads.
I bought one a week ago and love the rod, although i'm not experienced enough in finesse fishing to say yea or nay.
If you have a Gander close by, might wanna check it out
ha, not round here... not even supposed. I don't think the guy had ever fished before...

Anyways, besides shimano, check out Falcon, Kistler, Daiwa. all good rods.

BB
Old 04-16-09, 01:25 PM   #14
Bender

I like the 7'2" Crucial also for shaky head. That and a 7'M B&R Outlaw. I have the 6'8" Crucial also and prefer it for drop shotting since it feels like you can get a better hookset with the longer one and d.s. doesn't really need that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 06:25 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
My worry about MH action rods for shaky head fishing is that the heavier action of the rod would be overkill for 8 pound line. Unless I went with 20 pound braid which has a very small diameter close to 6 pound line.
i use 10 pound braid

zooker
Old 04-16-09, 07:10 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Quote:
Keith, I use 30 lb braid with an 8 lb fluoro leader, but it is a dedicated rod for shakey head fishing.
Old 04-17-09, 03:25 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebass View Post
Its just my opinion, but if you really want to use a finesse technique such as Shakey Head and others, then it is worth investing the money in the proper rod for it such as a G Loomis

i had a g stick broke it 3 times in 3 months every time 5 inchs above the front handle..it was replaced free of course but that kind of failure is totally UNACCEPTABLE from a stick that cost you $325..

zooker
Old 04-20-09, 03:16 PM   #18
bassnman30

That "g stick" must have a few problems with it. I have a G. Loomis rod and it's going strong. I use it almost every time I go out.
Old 04-20-09, 03:19 PM   #19
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

You been getting out fishing Keithdog?
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 03:43 PM   #20
BigBassin144

G.Loomis rods are, IMO, awesome. Are the high end ones worth $450? I can't quite say, but I have heard that they are more brittle that other rods though.

BB
Old 04-20-09, 05:55 PM   #21
bassboogieman

I like a 6-9 or 7-0 medium spinning with a fast tip for finesse fishing. Gives you better distance in casting light baits. I will echo the opinion that the better the rod the better you will like finesse fishing. My preference is Kistler Helium, but any comparable premium rod would be worth saving for. My preference in reel would be a Pflueger Supreme (30 size). The magnesium reel with a Helium rod weighs about 12 ounces. Really makes a difference when finesse fishing.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 06:52 PM   #22
keithdog

Guys, with one son in college and the other starting this fall I can't buy something that expensive. I was thinking maybe something in the line of a Pro Qualifier rod from BPS. How does that sound? I have a couple and really like them, and thats about as much as I can spend on a rod.
Old 04-20-09, 08:25 PM   #23
BigBassin144

how much are those now 140?

I'd seriously look at the Shimano Crucial rods. I can't afford Loomis rods either. so I just use my dad's.

BB
Old 04-20-09, 09:25 PM   #24
DeliReb
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bass Pro carries Carrot stix now

$150 - I have one - very light and sensitive.
DeliReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 11:43 AM   #25
bassboogieman

You certainly do not have to buy NEW. Quality rods in very nice shape can be had for about 50% of retail. I rarely pay retail anymore. Why spend $140 for a BPS or Cabela brand rod when you can have a G. Loomis, St. Croix or Kistler, etc. HIGH END rod for the same money? Look around, don't be in a hurry and you can get QUALITY for less $$$ then you think.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.