Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-11, 03:38 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default does this real have a problem.

yard selling this morning and came across hopfully a decent casting real. It is a pinncle platinum plus, special edtion, I crank the handle but the spool doesn't move, not usre if it is normal since i havn't mutch experiance with baitcasters. thank you
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 03:46 PM   #2
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

check the drag other than that id say ur gonna have to open it up
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 03:50 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have bought a few yard sale reels. most times they need cleaning and oiled. i have 2 that need overhauled, but ain't got the money ot send them to pro reel jsut yet.
Old 07-23-11, 03:53 PM   #4
wallywallace

well, i'll be it was the drag, also i noticed on the side, it doesn;t have the 1-10 magnetic thing.. i should have looked at it better but for 3.00 i just nabbed it. but will that make it hard to use?? for my moderate skill as of now
Old 07-23-11, 03:57 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
yard selling this morning and came across hopfully a decent casting real. It is a pinncle platinum plus, special edtion, I crank the handle but the spool doesn't move, not usre if it is normal since i havn't mutch experiance with baitcasters. thank you
If you make sure the drag is tightened down and the spool still won't turn when you crank the handle I would say yes it has problems. I would recommend getting in touch with Pro Reel as he is kinda the reel guy here on the boards. I am no expert but I would be affraid that parts might be hard to come by for Pinnacle reels, but Pro Reel would know for sure. Even if you aren't able to get the reel working, it's always worth a shot to buy a yard sale reel and see if it can be fixed because if it is fixable then you got a steal and if not then you aren't out much money.

Good luck and I hope you get your reel working.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 04:01 PM   #6
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It probably has centrifugal brakes. There should be a way to open the side plate up to access the brakes. If the reel is in good working order or only needs a cheap part or 2, I'd say you got a steal!
Old 07-23-11, 05:10 PM   #7
wallywallace

thank you all, it spins now, but if i put my thumb on it stops, with my pflugers, it keeps going, have never opend one up, hope it is easy
Old 07-23-11, 05:14 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Sounds like it may be the drag. You can replace the drag washers, that may be all that's needed, in addition to a clean and lube.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 05:15 PM   #9
pro reel

The platinum plus is a mag brake reel. It should have a mag dial. Are you saying the dial is gone and there is a hole in the side of the reel? If so, you can get parts for them, but the parts and labor cost could exceed the cost of the reel new. That reel sells in combo form at wally world sometimes very cheap.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 05:22 PM   #10
rrw4258

I can say that the Pinnacle Platinum Plus reel is a decent reel for $40 out of the box. My buddy, when he was just starting a couple of years ago, bought one for his first baitcaster... it has had the tar beat out of it... never oiled/greased/maintained at all, and is still running strong.

Ryan
Old 07-23-11, 07:38 PM   #11
wallywallace

WOW i screwed up, i am sooooo sorry, i got 3 reels from him,, been messing with them, the pfluger i got is he one with out the mag dial, the pinn, has one, sorry guys long day, stayed out till 3 catfishing them got up at 8 to yard sale with gf. man i am sorry. but i have been playing with the drag, the handle drag was low and i fixed it up, works fine now, but i am a bit scared to take it a part for fear that i may mess it up, maybe look up a youtube vid, again though with out the mag dial will it be harder to use for me

to clear it up better the man had a pfluger temper(?) a pinnicle solent and the special. all for 9 bux.. thought it was good
Old 07-23-11, 07:43 PM   #12
pro reel

good deal.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.