Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-11, 05:57 PM   #1
blaablaablaa
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Transition to wading

Hello all, The fishing is heating up here and I find my self out wading a pond more and more. The South shore of the pond is a big flat with a small creek. It is very enjoyable for me.
The trouble is currently I keep my soft tackle bag on the bank and carry a few soft plastic and jig heads. When I want switch baits I go back to shore and retie. I know I am wasting time on the water and want to be more productive. So the other day I purchased a http://www.fishpondusa.com/waterdance.cfm
From all i have read this show be a great pack. I can't wait for it to show up.
The heart of this post is to find out from you fellow waders what else you carry with you? I will carry hemostats, scissors, some leader materials, and some small tackle boxes. Do any of you have any suggestion for smaller tackle boxes or other gear I have not thought of?

Thank again!
blaablaablaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 12:54 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

And the shill posts roll on and on and on......
Old 05-04-11, 12:37 PM   #3
blaablaablaa
BassFishin.Com Member

nofearengineer, You judgment seems a little harsh of my post. I read post on hear every week of people showing what new gear they got. I mean just upload photos of your latest trip to basspro doesn't really accomplish anything. Not that I don't look at those post too but my post hear has more substance than those. I am at least asking a question and sharing my experiences. I realize you reacted this way because of my low post count and that is some what understandable. Who ever I am no SHILL and just wanted to get some information on wading and get a conversation going.
Thanks Johan
Old 05-04-11, 02:46 PM   #4
irishman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to irishman
Default ---------------

very usefull ++++++
irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 03:22 PM   #5
WTL

Hi Johan,
I think you are doing well to understand Nofear's skepticism. I dont think you are a shill, however, because the product you would be pumping is so specialized it would hardly find a market on here. Its really more of a fly fishing product that you are adapting to bass.

I do wade, but am far from scientific in what I carry. My old waders had a pocket up front that I would stuff scissors, channel locks and a few lures in, sometimes to float loosley...in other words, unorganized.

For flyfishing, I used to have a loomis hat that was given to me that I hot glued a small piece of foam under the bill and embeded flies in.

You can always get a vest, but its hot down here and they are bulky feeling. In fact, I just bought some breathable waders in an attempt to slim down. Besides, the past few times I have hit the creeks I had my kayak with me which which I would pull with a rope and it had lots more tackle.
Old 05-04-11, 03:53 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

People I know who fish in rivers use something very similar. No doubt, that product is functional and practical.
Old 05-04-11, 06:55 PM   #7
Bassboss

I'd try to get some Plano Custom Divider 3771 boxes in your new bag. The Save a lot of space and allow you to utilize the space given to you. They're great, check 'em out. Ya might wanna carry some scent.. the kind that you apply in the gel, and comes in a container kinda like a glue stick works great!
Old 05-05-11, 12:01 PM   #8
blaablaablaa
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for your responses! I am gonna get some plano boxes for the pack. The really annoying part is I can find the internal dimensions of the bag so I can order any until it gets here. Do you guys think that a basspro shop would let me take the pack in and try fitting various planos in it to see what fits well? I think it would look kinda of suspicious, a guy stuffing a pack full of plano boxes. I do think that would by my ideal way to do it though.

I have been looking at some of those breathable waders also. Currently I use a pair of LL Bean waders that were kindly given to me but The boot are a little small and have a pin hole leak right above the crotch.

I am glad to hear from some fellow waders. thank for the tips! It can be hard picking up a new hobby with out guidance from people who are already in to it. You got to love the internet.

Thanks again
Johan
Old 05-05-11, 12:50 PM   #9
WTL

Check out academy on those waders. I got mine (hodgman) for $25. They might have them on clearance where you are at as well.
Old 05-08-11, 07:11 AM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

blaa, I wouldn't worry bout taking the bag into BPS and trying different boxes out. If anyone looks at you funny, jst explain what you're doing. Besides, it's not shoplifting until you leave the store.

IF you have room, make sure to throw a Fisherman's Polygraph in there
Old 05-08-11, 07:50 AM   #11
champkins
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to champkins
Default surprize

big surprize from you!!
champkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 08:11 PM   #12
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Might be the "REDNECK" way to go about things but I have never owned a pair of waders. Swimming trunks and an old pair of ball shoes was always my waders. As for tackle storage, I always put all my baits in a Crown Royal bag pulled the string all the way to one side and threw it around my neck letting the bag rest between my shoulder blades. The bag holds all the baits that I feel are must have wade fishing baits like: shallow diving crankbaits, flukes, worms/craw baits and jigheads, rooster tails, grubs, roadrunners, and spook jr/poppers.
Just a couple of quick tips for anyone wanting to try this as a tackle storage system.
First, it's best to NOT buy a liter and try to drink it all right before going just to have the bag handy.......lol, just kinding.
On to the real tip, crankbaits and other baits with trebels can be put in quart sized zip-lock bags to protect from getting hook in the back.
Like I said it might be the "REDNECK" way to do it but it has served me well for many years.

DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.