Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-10, 02:50 AM   #1
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A Newbie in look of help.

Hey everyone, new poster here.

First a little back story. I only really started fishing again about 3 weeks ago, im pretty green. The last time I fished was about 14 years ago in Boy Scouts, and then it was just the line and bobber type of fishing. So what little bit I did know was from reading forums and watching some youtube videos, so im sure alot of my problems is just from lack of experience, and not know what im doing.

So far all my fishing since ive "re-started" has been up at Lake Berryessa in California. Specifically Im fishing out at Capell Cove. Im boatless, so im just standing on the shore for awhile

Ive found this nice little area that has open rock bottom, in another spot tall underwater grass, and just a few feet away a small grove of large bushes/trees that are 75% submerged.

I know alot of my gear is wrong too, but i figured getting out there is better than sitting on couch.

So this is what I have been doing.

First thing in the morning, around 5:30am, from the shore, i try running my buzzbait over the grass, into the submerged trees and out, and even just along the shore and over the rock flats.

Once it warms up a bit, Ive tried mixing it up between running the little Rapala Countdown I have (i mean little, like the smallest they make) shad colored. Ive also tried fishing a 5 inch Senko into the grass and the submerged trees. Even tried a Carolina rigged Senko and dragging through the grass and rock flats.

Just for the hell of it Ive even tried running spoons, buzzbait during the hot day, and even just throwing a senko out and leaving it be.

5 trips now, been skunked every time. What I dont get is I know Bass are there. I can see smaller ones in the shadows, and the whole time im out there you can see 2-4 every hour break the surface. Ive always talked 2 other guys who fish this area and they say they have caught bass all year around this part, but there currently only fishing for trout, so not sure what they say means alot or not.

Anyone got some good suggestions for what I can do? Im going out again soon and can take pictures of the area if that helps. Im just kind of at a loss. Is my bad luck all on me? Or am I just having bad Summer time luck.

Thanks for all the help. Ive found alot of the other threads helpful, but just looking for some advice geared towards my story.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 07:01 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Pics of the area might help along with a description of the rods and reels your using, line weights, things like that. The depth of the water would help too. Is it on a point, gradual decent into the deeper water, or is there an abrupt drop off. Is the water clear or murky? Any info like that will help. I'd be tossing a 3/8 oz spinnerbait around that cover, but then I love spinnerbaits. I surface bait early in the morning might work well too besides the buzzbait. Something you can work slowly like a Heddon Baby Torpedo or a popper. AND, welcome to the site!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:39 AM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah Keith was thinkin teh same thing as me. If they are busting surface but not hittin teh buzzbait you need a painfully slow surface presentation like a zara spook, torpedo, or pop'r...maybe even a weightless zoom super fluke... the senko is a good choice, but color selection may be gettin you... what is teh water clarity??? is the area you fish close to deeper water?

Dont get discouraged... it is the middle of a very hot summer... even KVD has a hard time cathin em in this weather. I guarantee you fishing will get better... i have been gettin skunked a lot lately... but thats just part of the game... and the guys on this site helped me to remember that...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 11:44 AM   #4
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Heres a quick picture with depths estimated. Im pretty sure about every up to past the grassbed/sunken trees. Im not entirely sure about the depth out in the deeper water, im from shore and cant really see or reach it.

Water Clarity is pretty good actually. You can visually see Smaller bass and bait fish swimming up to about where the trees start under water. Then from there you can see the grass/weed beds.

The senkos Im using are watermelon red.

Thanks for all the help so far. Ill have to pick up one of the spinnerbaits you guys suggested. As for rod/reel im currently only using a spinner reel 6.5' length, with 10lb test (highest this rod says it will take). Not optimal I know, but saving up for a good Baitcaster.
Old 07-16-10, 08:59 PM   #5
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Also? Do spoons work for the same goal in which you would be throwing spinnerbaits? Or is it better to get buy a specific spinner bait.
Old 07-16-10, 09:38 PM   #6
keithdog

Not sure if you hace access to it, but that shaded bank on the opposite side could be holding a few. Especially in this hot weather. As for choice of spinnerbait, there are many good ones. Strike King, Terminator, Booya, War Eagle, just to name a few. I'd suggest a 3/8 oz. size for a good all around spinnerbait. Be sure to get one with quality parts, like with ball bearing swivels, real silver or gold plate blades. One color combo that I rely on often is a white tandem spinnerbait with gold blades or a gold/silver blade combo. Smaller blade being colorado style and the larger blade being a willow leaf blade. Another color combo thats been killer lately is the Strike King KVD tandem spinnerbait in the bluegill pattern! It's been deadly for me. I'm wondering if you could wade in waist deep and pitch a jig n pig into that brush or off the deeper edges of it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 10:21 PM   #7
walkeraviator

You live out west where Rainbow Trout colored Swim Baits slay the bigguns...so i would give that a try... soft swimbaits in shad and rainbow trout colors...Good color choice on the senkos... try a green pumpkin color as well... in clear water you need to present natural colors on flourocarbon lines when using soft plastics... consider slowing your presentations down as the day heats up. I would try a black buzzbait and a rainbow trout swim bait, and a watermelon/white laminate (baby bass) fluke early in the morning... i mean early too... as early as you can stand...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:23 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum and the crazy world of bass fishing!

It sounds like what you are doing is on the right track-a senko is a tough bait to beat in and around weeds.

You might try downsizing-get some 4" senkos for example. In the heat of the summer the fish will get lethargic in the warm water like we do in the summer heat. Lately the only thing I have had any success on is small finesse baits.

I've had pretty good luck using a Zoom Shakey Tail worm Texas rigged with a 1/0 hook and a 1/8 oz. weight.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and there are no dumb questions when it comes to bass fishing, so ask away.

I'll warn you, though-this sport gets addictive and becomes an obsession-but it is all good.
Old 07-17-10, 05:33 PM   #9
Bassboss

First of all, when your fishing from shore, you should NEVER stand in one spot all the time. Always be on the move casting as you walk. If come across a spot that looks good, I'll stand there for a while - no longer then 20 minuets. The fish will usually hit the first few casts to a specific area. If they don't hit within that time, I'll go on, and come back later using a different lure. They've already seen one, if they didn't hit it before they probably wont hit it this time. Also if you stand in one spot for a long time, the fish there will become accustom to seeing your lures come across their faces every so often.

For the place you described, a buzzbait sounds great in the morning, that you some other top water, like a walking bait or popper. When the sun comes up, move along, fish you senko (or what ever you happen to have tied to your line) as you walk. If you get hit, stay there for a while, if their's one fish there, chances are their's more.

After you've left that one spot alone for a while, I'd go back and try a jig. Pumpkin, watermelon, brow, and natural colors if the water is clear, if it's murkier, darker colors like, black, black red, black blue, etc. Maybe even red, or straight blue if the water is really dark. Try to match the trailer color to color of the jig, you're using. I like a rage tail craw this time of year. I don't like chunks. I like a 1/4 oz Strike king jig. If it's really rocky, try a football jig.

Also try a crankbait bumped on the trees.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-20-10, 08:07 PM   #10
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

get yourself a pack of 7 inch yum dingers pumpkinseed/Charturse with a 3/0 Hook. Hook it threw the belly so both side fall even and hold on for the ride.
Old 07-20-10, 08:39 PM   #11
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Im heading out tomorrow and going to give a few new things a try. Picked up a spinnerbait from BooYa, gonna try that after a few rounds with the buzzbait.

Ive been trying the Senkos on a Carolina rig, but gonna try rigging em wacky style, through the belly and give that go too.

So ill let you all know how it went when I get back.

Thanks alot for all the help guys.
Old 07-20-10, 09:54 PM   #12
Cavs1123

Good luck!
Old 07-20-10, 10:08 PM   #13
bassinbob

Don't forget the Horny Toads.
Old 07-22-10, 02:33 PM   #14
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I promised a report, so here it goes.

All in all I was still skunked today, but I feel I got more better idea of what im doing. While I didnt catch any fish, there were a few experiences Ive never had before, which (all though possibly false) lead me to believe im starting to get it.

Started off at about 5:00am (still pitch black out) with my Buzzbait. 3rd Cast out I could see a bigger wake coming from behind my buzzbait then normal. Then boom, a pretty big fish darted up, slamming into the buzzbait, but it didnt hook him, the fish actually knocked the lure up out of the water. Changed areas a few times, no other bites.

Switched to a spinnerbait, booya (with colorado and willow blades, bleeding shad color). No bite or close calls.

Switched to a crankbait i bought in baby rainbow trout color. I had one fish who went after it, i felt the bite, tried to set the hook, felt my rod get pulled left, then it went slack and my lure was all alone. No more bites after that.

Finally as the day got warmer and the sun came up i rigged two poles up. With with a senko rigged wacky style with a football hook. The other with a scum frog.

With the senko I got a few nibbles. I could tell it was a fish because instead of just feeling resistance, i actually felt the line get pulled away and to an angle, but as soon as I pulled back, i could almost feel a "pop" and then it went slack again.

I used the scum frog over some thick grass that was barely sticking out of the water. After seeming to get no interest the frog got a light strike, but no hook and nothing again after that.

So like I said, no fish caught, but atleast im starting to feel like im getting a better idea on what the fish like to see.

Do you think the lack in activity and the reflectance of the fish to really commit to a strike is the just the summer season?
Old 07-22-10, 10:57 PM   #15
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Also, does anyone have a good link to somewhere explaining in better detail the whole pre-spawn/spawn/post spawn stuff and how it relates to the seasons and what the fish do and the best way to get them during each phase?

Look around online alot today and only founds little pieces of clues, but nothing really laying it all out for a noob like me.
Old 07-25-10, 06:51 PM   #16
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Going out next week on a boat with a friend, were gonna hit this same area. Want to see if theres a noticeable deference when fishing the same area from target to shore, as opposed to target towards boat (deeper water)
Old 07-25-10, 08:52 PM   #17
woody

Welcome to the site!

If you haven't already, get yourself a pack of trailer hooks. These will increase your buzzbait's and spinnerbait's hookup percentages.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.