Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-10, 09:36 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking Man, I LOVE pitching!!

I've gotta say, I got to do some today, and Holley smokes what a rush! Drop it down and BOOM!
Caught 8 fish, he caught 6, my biggest was just under 5, his biggest was right at 6.

My friends got a little peninsula on his lake that's got a bunch of over handing trees on either side. We get in his Jon boat and go along the edges, with jigs (with Zoom Super Speed craw trailers, rather muddy water), and Creature X baits, and started pitching in the trees, their's also plenty of submerged logs to fish too! I've gotta get a boat, I'm HOOKED man, love it!
Old 07-25-10, 10:05 PM   #2
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ok, so explain the concept to me if you could. I am not new to fishing but rather a long time novice. I have watched the videos and I think the part I don't get is how it is supposed to feel. I put a trailer on my jig the other day and dropped it by some brush. It fell hard and fast and just didn't feel right. Especially when it got covered in grass. Am I supposed to pitch, let fall, check with slight firm tug and then set? Do you retrieve it immediately if no hit?
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 10:17 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIntel007 View Post
Ok, so explain the concept to me if you could. I am not new to fishing but rather a long time novice. I have watched the videos and I think the part I don't get is how it is supposed to feel. I put a trailer on my jig the other day and dropped it by some brush. It fell hard and fast and just didn't feel right. Especially when it got covered in grass. Am I supposed to pitch, let fall, check with slight firm tug and then set? Do you retrieve it immediately if no hit?
Sounds like you may be using a a really heavy jig. I like no more than 1/2 oz. I've also got a big flapping craw trailer on there, so it slows the fall a good bit. I'd probably use a 3/8oz if you don't have a big flapping trailer. What I did was just pitch it out, let it fall, jig it a few times, worked it probably 2 feet away from the visible cover, than reeled it up, and pitch it back out. I was using a SK flipping, and lunker lure rattle back jig, love 'em both!
Old 07-25-10, 10:30 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kevin has a couple of really good videos on jigs...check them out here:
http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/
There's a Part 1 and a Part 2. They should answer most of your questions. If not, please ask...somebody will answer.
Old 07-25-10, 10:54 PM   #5
keithdog

Glad to see you started learning to pitch. It's a great way to present a bait, especially in shallow cover and right up next to brush, the bank, and so forth. I started pitchin 3 years ago and that was probably the best move I ever made when it comes to techniques.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 10:57 PM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIntel007 View Post
I highly recommend to everyone who is new to pitchin to go to basspro.com and order the Kevin VanDam video "Pitchin To Heavy Hitters". It's full of valuable info including proper technique, proper tackle, and various methods of casting, pitchin, and lure selection.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 11:05 PM   #7
bamabassman

so happy you got to get a few boss. wish i could pitch..or flip for that matter. haven't been good at either. but i haven't really had time to do either as well. learning a new tactic is great huh? keep at it buddy. and ummmm.....post some pics next time ok? lol.
Old 07-25-10, 11:51 PM   #8
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah, I watched Kevin's videos and they are great. Its the feel I don't think I have yet. You know, like the first time you worked a t-rigged worm. I'll keep at it.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 10:28 AM   #9
Cavs1123

It is pretty fun isnt it Boss?
Old 07-26-10, 01:56 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
so happy you got to get a few boss. wish i could pitch..or flip for that matter. haven't been good at either. but i haven't really had time to do either as well. learning a new tactic is great huh? keep at it buddy. and ummmm.....post some pics next time ok? lol.

Bama, practice, practice, practice!! BAck in 1989 I started learning to Pitch and to flip. We lieved in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee and we had the most Gosh awful freeze hit about 2 weeks before Christmas (I mean like 20 below stuff!) and it stayed below freezing until the end of January! Bored to tears i decided that there was no better time than to learn both techniques. I tied on a casting plug and loosened the cast brakes until that puppy dropped to the floor like greased snot! I would pitch or flip that durned plug into anything that looked big enough to fit it in. My wife was going nuts trying to keep me from breaking something (I had a couple of vase disasters before I finally mastered it). Graduation day was when I pitched it from the kitchen into her coffee cup (empty of course or at least I thought it was!) in the den by her recliner (to which she was soundly deposed!). To this day, when I get bored I will get out in the yard and pitch a weight or practice plug. I pitch both Bait casters and Spinning rigs, and pitch both further than a lot of folks can cast overhanded.
The secret is in the "pendelum motion", don't spring load your rod, just use gravity to your advantage!

To get your forearms and shoulders used to the different motion, take an old broken rod and tape a full can of soda to the reel seat and then mimic the pitching motion to get the muscles built up.
Old 07-26-10, 03:15 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Bama, practice, practice, practice!! BAck in 1989 I started learning to Pitch and to flip. We lieved in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee and we had the most Gosh awful freeze hit about 2 weeks before Christmas (I mean like 20 below stuff!) and it stayed below freezing until the end of January! Bored to tears i decided that there was no better time than to learn both techniques. I tied on a casting plug and loosened the cast brakes until that puppy dropped to the floor like greased snot! I would pitch or flip that durned plug into anything that looked big enough to fit it in. My wife was going nuts trying to keep me from breaking something (I had a couple of vase disasters before I finally mastered it). Graduation day was when I pitched it from the kitchen into her coffee cup (empty of course or at least I thought it was!) in the den by her recliner (to which she was soundly deposed!). To this day, when I get bored I will get out in the yard and pitch a weight or practice plug. I pitch both Bait casters and Spinning rigs, and pitch both further than a lot of folks can cast overhanded.
The secret is in the "pendelum motion", don't spring load your rod, just use gravity to your advantage!

To get your forearms and shoulders used to the different motion, take an old broken rod and tape a full can of soda to the reel seat and then mimic the pitching motion to get the muscles built up.
Good info bob! I've always been able to flip, just started catching lots of bass on it that time! A cup and a jig are your best friend, make sure them breaks are loose too!

But thanks guys!
Old 07-26-10, 04:56 PM   #12
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Lol

I thought it was just me!!!! I do this while watching TV at night. I have gotten good enough that we have a basset hound and I can flip his ears over pitching the plug over his head. He just lays there.

I can also hit the on and off button on the stereo.

Off course the best is if you have a cat… OMG he goes freaking nuts

The best is skipping tubes in my swimming pool. I use floating Frisbees and skip in them, over them, between etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post

Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.