Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-11, 04:16 PM   #1
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Loose guide on rod?

I have a abu veritas rod, and i have noticed that the last guide on the tip is loose. It doesnt want to slide off but it rotates about 45* to the right. Im wondering if this is something i can fix or if ill have to send it away. I heard waffle jaw might know a thing or two about rods Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 04:41 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Is it the guide insert, or the tip top guide it's self? If it the tip top, I think you can take the guide off by heating it. Once you get it off, remove any excess epoxy. Take some super glue, put a few drops on the tip, and press the tip top back on.

I've done this with a few rods and it works fine, just make sure you get it on there straight the first cause once it's on... it aint going no where!
Old 09-11-11, 04:59 PM   #3
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you do decide to take the tip off and put it back on, when heating the tip... do not put the flame directly on the tip. This will melt the graphite fibers on the rod and if it doesn't break off right away. It will create a weak spot in the rod, causing it to fail in the future.

As far as the super glue goes, I would avoid using it because like boss said, "once it's on... it ain't going no where". Get a stick of cement that is for this problem. http://www.basspro.com/Fuji®-Rod-Tip.../16514/-430349

Pretty sure you can pick this up at your local bass pro if not here's the link and what to look for.

Or if you can't pick it up in store, and have to have it shipped. Here's a more cost effective option.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...Cement-4-Stick

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 09-11-11 at 05:05 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 05:14 PM   #4
lilmule

Glue stix can be had at wal mart,and most tackle stores,dab heat and stick on,not quite so finicky about being perfect as for about 1/2 min it can be rotated.Takes about twice as long as pvc glue to work.If wrong reheat and remove and try again.
Cost about $1
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 05:18 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Don't use super glue, you may need to replace that tip in the future. Tip repair kits are available at most any sporting goods store, or a glue stick works to. If it's the insert, then the tip repair kit would be your best bet to replace it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 05:19 PM   #6
joedog

Wally World has tip kits includes tips and cement or glue or something sticky. I know you dont't need the tips but whole kit is like 4 bucks, save the tip for the next time your fishing partner slams your tip in the car door. There are better kits but for simplicity and cost these may work..... If you want to get higher quality and cost, St Croix has Piccolastic hydrocarbon resin (fancy word for tip glue) ,small crystals pour in tip hole heat and done but make sure its straight because sets fast. You can re-heat and do again but as mentioned before heating your tip can be tricky. There are other kits and really not hard to finnd, Cabelas,Farm and Fleet you may even find one at that great Shoe and Clothing retailor, "Gander Mtn."

Last edited by joedog; 09-11-11 at 05:33 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 07:54 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

If there's nothing wrong with the actually tip,then all you need is a good epoxy or hot melt..Ive never used the Berkley or Fuji ''white'' hot melt...When tracing back heat related issues of hot summer days resulting in tip tops rotating..It seemed to be ''white'' hot melt...You can try for yourself,and see if it works..Its a small enough investment to gamble...Ive just had too many other rod builders tell me its junk,so I shy away.

I use the Flexcoat ''Golden'' Hot melt on a lot of lighter power rods...Ive used them on heavier rods as well...and out here in TX Ive yet to have a single problem with it..Leaving rods in cars,aluminum boats with no carpet, etc....I would highly recommend it for a fast,solid repair..Plus readjusting it straight is a cinch.

Ive used and removed tips with superglue back when I first started out....Did it work fine?...I honestly cant say I had any issues with installing or removing..I will say installing doesnt leave much room for error.....
Superglue is also brittle..So I would much rather you buy an adhesive/epoxy that will remain flexible.

Sounds like your tip is ready to pop off....Tie the tip to a table with dental floss or braided line...Use a lighter to gently/quickly warm up the tip (as mentioned above leave the lighter a safe distance away,and only for a few seconds at a time...If it takes more than one session,allow the tip to cool...Getting too aggressive and your gonna watch your entire tip section go impotent)
After you heat it up...Try not to twist the tip!!!....Just pull back on the rod and the tip should slide off.....And like I said,it may take a few heat sessions.
Then clean up the area as best you can and inside the tip...If using the hot melt,shave a few slivers off and pack it into the tip tube...Then heat the hot melt stick and dab a bit on the blank tip...Reheat the tip tube to melt the glue,then reheat the glue on the tip section (it doesnt take much) put the tip on and spin it 360..align and go fish!

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 09-11-11 at 07:59 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 12:44 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

And if you see a puff of smoke while heating it, go ahead and say an ugly word because you got in the graphite hahaha. Walker has said everything I would have. Especially it taking several tries if it is stubborn. But sounds like it shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove. I use the sliver method on all of my tip installs though. Just the best way I have found to do it without a mess. I fill it up, heat it, slide it on and hold in place for a couple of seconds and wha-lah, finito. Then I just clip off any excess that may come out of the end when it hardens a little.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.