Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-08, 12:28 PM   #1
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trying something new

I found a baitcasting rod in my dad's fishing stuff that is in really good shape and I never see him use it. I asked him why and he said because of the backlashes. Why let a good rod go to waste? I took it and practiced casting in my backyard today and yesterday and I sort of got the hang of it. I'm going fishing all day with him on Saturday and I'm going to try it out along with my spinning real just in case I don't like the baitcasting reel.

We just had a huge storm... some flash flood warnings and stuff and its supposed to storm today too. Friday should be okay but on Saturday theres some chance of thunderstorms again. So I'm going to rig my baitcast outfit with a YUM! Crawbug (my main lure) and my spinning outfit with a YUM Dinger weightless in case the fish get lockjaw from the storms. But maybe I should use the spinning outfit for mt main lure because I'm not fully used to baitcast. What do you guys think?

Last edited by frogfisher; 07-24-08 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Left some stuff out
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 01:35 PM   #2
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

i would say use them both.you never now what their doing.if it raining try to fish deeper. they might whant a spinnerbait.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 01:35 PM   #3
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey i started with training wheels to when i started fishing. I use baitcasting 95% of the time now. My sugestion is if you do move on. Keep the spinning reel around. I still use spining gear on finese fishing. Spinning rigs do a better job throwing lighter weight baits.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 01:53 PM   #4
frogfisher

okay thanks.... i can flip real good with the baitcast rod and it is real smooth but I cant cast that far yet.... the feel is different. With my spinning rod I can cast far and I can skip it into small areas real easily... ill just see how it goes
Old 07-24-08, 01:59 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

practice. take the hooks off a topwater or crankbait and just go throw it in the yard. my grandpa taught me as a kid by using a empty coffee can. if you can hit it consistently you can hit that log/tree trunk/or get under that limb
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 02:03 PM   #6
robertmee

I love my old baitcaster....I still use my Diawa circa 1982 baitcaster as my primary reel, and it works as sweet today as it did 25+ years ago. It'll be a sad day when it gives up the ghost
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 04:46 PM   #7
Bmuskin

I quit fishing for a while because I was so busy. I started again when we moved and bought a house. I got a gift certificate for Dicks this year I made up my mind that I was going to get a baitcaster and learn to use it. I finally am starting to feel decent with it after 6 months of fishing fairly hard. These are pretty basic tips but they are fresh in my mind and I will share.
Use Mono to start Trilene XL Smooth cast worked well. Respool doesn't cost a ton and you don't feel so bad when you cut a tangle out. Find some Blakemoore Real/Reel magic and use it on the line and reel. It will help and makes things easy to untangle.
Make sure you use the dial on the right to match the lure or casting plug to the reel. It should drop and not backlash when it hits the gound. Tighter is better I have found. Tighten the knob to the point that the bait does not move and then loosen to the point that it drops slowly. Heavier weight is easier to cast when you start. Use 2 hands when you cast. Use a sidearm motion and do not load the rod with tension as you cast. When you cast a spinning outfit it is a different release point.
I know really enjoy my baitcaster and just picked up another outfit at an estate sale.
Oh, and carry a spare with you, a spinning rod so when you have to cut a mess out you can still fish.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 05:17 PM   #8
Jim80

just remember your thumb is your friend with the bc I have used one for while now and even with it set properly I have found the thumb to be helpful , you don't need to start casting sidearm although it does help if you are under a tree fishing from shore . The main thing is to have a smooth and fluid motion throughout your cast and don't jump to cut a backlash out as with a little time a practice they come out easily enough . Once you get use to chucking a bait with one it will be your best friend . Do a search on this site about them and you will turn up a whole bunch of tips on using one . Also depending on the reel there are some baits you might not be able to throw islandbass posted a thread about the weight limits on dif models of baitcasters that would be a good read as well .. good luck

Jim
Old 07-25-08, 02:47 PM   #9
frogfisher

I always am fishing from shore into small areas.... I have gotten used to my spinning reel but htere have been some difficulties with it lately... there is one area which is open and still a good spot to fish so I'll practice there first
Old 07-25-08, 02:51 PM   #10
Jim80

frog just remember to be fluid and stop the spool with your thumb before the lure hits the water don't kill yourself looking for distance until you are comfy with the bc
Old 07-25-08, 02:51 PM   #11
Snake2715

Good luck. I posted a thread a few months back, lots of great info.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.