Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-06, 11:10 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default making and sinking shelter?

hey guys... yesterday after getting skunked my friend let me borrow a killie and a bobber... i decided heck i may as well catch something. so as i let it sit, i went around the trees looking for sticks and fallen trees i found 2 fallen trees and a limb. i cut it up with a pocketknife and bound it with the snapped line from my snag (a dead stick while deadsticking), and asked the park ranger if i could sink it. he said sure. so i sank it, but it only went in like 2 feet deep water... would that be ok? and do any of you guys do this?
Old 08-06-06, 01:47 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Punctuation and grammar is your friend, cranky. Use it.

You need to weigh down wood cover, or else most of the time it will float away because..gasp...wood tends to float. Use a cinder block and some rope. You can get cinder blocks at home depot pretty cheap and they are easy to tie to.

EDIT:lol, I'm such a hypocrit....I didn't even spell grammar right.

Last edited by WTL; 08-06-06 at 05:11 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 03:42 PM   #3
crankybait

I use decent punctuation, just not capitilization. gotta work on that.

But what i did was find the tree then i took a big heavy plank of wood on top... i figured that would sink it. i guess next time ill use a cinderblock. Thing is, i have to be able to throw it to the spot i want since i don't have a boat. and a cinderblock is awfully hard to throw.
Old 08-06-06, 03:46 PM   #4
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i dont know how fast the bass would be relating to the cover..probably works tho
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 04:44 PM   #5
bassking22

Make stuff out of pvc, harder to snag, sinks, and works just as good. Also for a better sink, you can fill the pipes with cement
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 05:16 PM   #6
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

As an alternative to cement, you could place a layer of rocks, then dog food, then more rocks in the pipe. You would need to drill lots of holes in it first, though.

If there is any new construction near your house, you can check the trashpiles of new houses and find lots of useful things to sink.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 08:53 PM   #7
bassking22

Yes!! Thats a great idea too, when I was like 8 we would just take all their scrap wood and just nail itr together for fun, then use it for a bonfire.
Old 08-06-06, 10:12 PM   #8
crankybait

nice ideas... i thought of pvc but then it seemd that there wouldnt really be branches and a few leaves... seems unnatural. a adult home center is being made, ill check there. nice idea on the dog food btw.
Old 08-06-06, 10:30 PM   #9
bassking22

Well, its not natural, but it works, also, if anyone you knows welds, the can make some great structure. When my dad was a kid, the guy at the body shop would weld together scrap metal for them and give it to them for crappie and bass.
Old 08-07-06, 08:22 AM   #10
crankybait

scrap metal doesn't sound too good for the fish... i think ill use cloth and PVC filled with dogfood
Old 08-07-06, 09:26 AM   #11
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cranky,
I've worked with the state DNR rangers at many lakes and the only acceptable way to sink trees (pine) is to wire anchor them to 8x8x16 concrete blocks, the bigger ones take two blocks...if you're serious about it, go to any block making place and dig through the rejects, or any trash site with new contruction...get permission first ....most trees will rise back to the top if the correct amount of weight from the concrete is not present...also, keep in mind that any huge wind storm will move any sunk trees from year to year...you see about all the marina guides at KY lake placing sunken timbers out on the lake in "un obvious" locations year after year, due to waves, wind, storms moving them about...
Its always nice to have all the block you live on give you their old christmas trees (pine) , then you can sink them where you and only you know about in the pond/lake..again, ask persmission, or they will fine you for littering...also take note that many pine trees in ponds only end up moss covered in a matter of years...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 09:55 AM   #12
bassking22

Around here, we sink chrismas trees, but the dnr sinks what they call tire reefs, which are old tires tied together.
Old 08-07-06, 10:08 AM   #13
crankybait

JB- well if you call asking the park rangers permission, i can do that. thanks. as i said before, i have a building site not far, so i can check for bricks there as welll... maybe 3 briks woulc secure it better. the other day, i found a new fishing hole. about the same distance away but about 4 times bigger. i want to try there, its topanemus lake. ill ask the rangers there too. i do think the christmas thing will work. ill just add a few slabs of concrete, wire it down, and let it sink. this will be nice.. see usually i know nothing about the bottom till i get snagged. when i get snagged i just pull it in and try to cast back to the spot. but now id know exactly where the spot is, that way i dont have to do much searching. ill also add a pipe of pvc and dogfood to the pine tree... to attract baitfish quicker
Old 08-12-06, 12:08 PM   #14
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

TPW Put 20 Old cars just off the beach in Freeport in an effort to prevent erosion in the 80's. The trout and baitfish hang around the "yugo reef". Not much left of them now, but 8 or 9 years ago a shrimpboat ate shore on Bryan beach and its been great fishing in front of it and around it. I really dont want to hear about you driving your dads car int the lake though. Im serious-behave yourself when throwing stuff in the water. It shouldnt matter what its made of because in a few weeks it'll start to grow vegetation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.