Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-08, 08:22 AM   #1
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default May God bless Miss Addie!

It's a sad day in our Country when our elders believe there is no hope for them. I sure hope she pulls through this. She has my Prayers.//www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/03/eviction.suicide.attempt/index.html
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 09:11 AM   #2
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well that is certainly unfortunate, I assume she had to get a loan to pay expenses.
She was 86 when Countrywide lent her the money and opened her 11K line of credit.
That in and of it's self seems predatory. I'm sure she is on a fixed income..I do feel bad for her. I imagine we all can end up like her if we out live our savings.
Old 10-05-08, 11:06 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That really is a shame why would they give her a 30 year loan at that age . at least if she recovers they will let her keep the house and forgive the debt .

Jim
Old 10-06-08, 12:14 AM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have mixed emotions on this one. I hope she does well, but I fear that people will see suicide, or at least serious bodily injury as a way to get out of the mortgage. Please don't think I am saying she should be kicked out. I just worry about the precident set by saying she put two rounds in her chest so we will forgive the loan.
Old 10-06-08, 11:45 AM   #5
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I hate to be heartless, but I tend to agree. Maybe there's more to the story, but the loan appeared to be a standard 30-year Mortgage, and for whatever reason, she was missing payments. It doesn't sound like a case of predatory lending, interest-only loans or a bad ARM. And the loan amount wasn't something obscene, but $42K.

In this case, It was probably more of an issue of oversight by an elderly woman living alone, than of a bank taking advantage of a situation. Don't really agree with Congress invoking her name in relation to the current bank crisis, either. I think that maybe it was mishandled more by the Sheriff's department. 100 notices left at the door and nobody every bothered to talk to her? There appears to be a failure of communication there.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.