Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-08, 11:37 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Glad I am not in school

Maybe this is common place in the schools now, but as a parent, I am amazed at how much technology has aided the school/parent communications. For the past couple of years my sons school has used a learining point website to show us real time grades and homework assignments. Today, he was tardy to one of his classes. I got an e-mail and a text message 15 minutes later notifying me of it.
Man, I would be in trouble if they had that back in my youth.
Old 10-06-08, 11:42 PM   #2
Jim80

I'm sure my parents would have received a couple emails a day to the tune of , your son is sleeping in class again .

Jim
Old 10-06-08, 11:44 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

We didn't have air conditioning in our classrooms so most of the students fell asleep after lunch. You would wake up in a pool of your own sweat.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 11:44 PM   #4
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

It is amazing what they have these days. Our district just got the email/update in real time for highschool. My son REALLY loves the fact that Mom and I know what he needs to do before he gets home from school. I will say that so far the grades seem to be a little better.
Bob
bhfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 12:26 AM   #5
Christopherkeene9

It's not fun, can't slip away anywhere or anytime
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 05:47 AM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
We didn't have air conditioning in our classrooms so most of the students fell asleep after lunch. You would wake up in a pool of your own sweat.
How well I remember sweating it after lunch! The Band Director was delighted because the Band Hall WAS airconditioned and the Bandies spent all their free time there. Of course, it was "Hey, Lancer. Why not grab your horn and put in some practice time?" Well, I HAD intended to be in a practice room, (with the door locked,) but with a certain cutie from the Clarinet Section, or maybe a certain French Horn chick, depending on my mood, instead of my trumpet and/or my cornet. Hey! I WAS doing lip exercises, right?
About halfway through my Senior year, I hit upon a plan to enjoy my efforts undisturbed. You see, we had some big reel-to-reel tape decks for recording both group and personal practice. Soooooo...I taped some mighty fine (if I do say so myself) examples of the trumpeter's art and played them back in the practice room as the lovely morsel and I ate face and...never mind. Since the BD was very busy he never knocked on the door, preferring to congratulate himself on what a jewel he had as Principal Trumpet. My fellow seniors were in cahoots and the swine (See: Underclassmen) knew that to EVER interrupt a senior's "practice" meant a slow and painful death.
Life was good!
The system woulda worked in college 'cept the ROTC band, all one hundred of us, was all male

Lancer"Lips"6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 11:39 AM   #7
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

what is the ROTC they have that at a school up here and parents are wanting to put me in it ,,, they said it was like a military thing
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 11:53 AM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Reserve Officer Training Corps
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 11:53 AM   #9
Fishnngolfn

It is a military thing. Sort of like an officer training program. Look into it. It can help out a lot later in life. It can help pay for college and it can open up a lot of doors for you in the future. When I look back, I wish I had done ROTC in college.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 12:32 PM   #10
tnfisherman

they said with grants and every thing that they would have to pay little for it ,,,i was wanting to be a game warden but the way the ecomony is agoing there is no use in going to collage thought
Old 10-07-08, 12:43 PM   #11
cassidyta

I am not sure that I would agree with you on the no point in going to college theory. While the economy is hurting, and will be for a while, it will rebound. Additionally, you will want to do everything you can to make yourself as marketable as possible when you are looking for a job. In some cases, college can help do that. I am not saying that having a degree will guarantee you anything, but if you and another candidate are ranked the same, the degree could be the thing that gives you the nod.
Old 10-07-08, 12:47 PM   #12
tnfisherman

i dont i may go but im going to go a big collage ,,it will be like walter state
Old 10-07-08, 04:46 PM   #13
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
i dont i may go but im going to go a big collage ,,it will be like walter state
Take a few grammar classes.

Anyway, yeah, my school does that, last year they had the wrong phone number which was nice, but this year they introduced a website, and my mom got on and went "Why have you missed 1st period 4 times already?"

"Because it's English. I was hunting"

So I hate technology.....
Old 10-07-08, 05:55 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I am not sure that I would agree with you on the no point in going to college theory. While the economy is hurting, and will be for a while, it will rebound. Additionally, you will want to do everything you can to make yourself as marketable as possible when you are looking for a job. In some cases, college can help do that. I am not saying that having a degree will guarantee you anything, but if you and another candidate are ranked the same, the degree could be the thing that gives you the nod.
yeah i have two masters degrees and work in a lumber yard..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
How well I remember sweating it after lunch! The Band Director was delighted because the Band Hall WAS airconditioned and the Bandies spent all their free time there.
you mean there WAS a/c that far back. or was it one of the nile slaves with a palm fond??

i found the baseball dugouts to be rather umm private..-might brisk in febuary though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Maybe this is common place in the schools now, but as a parent, I am amazed at how much technology has aided the school/parent communications. For the past couple of years my sons school has used a learining point website to show us real time grades and homework assignments. Today, he was tardy to one of his classes. I got an e-mail and a text message 15 minutes later notifying me of it.
Man, I would be in trouble if they had that back in my youth.
oh man as much as i cut class back in the day that would have truely sucked..yeah right.. who me cut a class.

zooker
Old 10-07-08, 06:57 PM   #15
WTL

TNfosherman, how old are you?

I would recommend college. While it hardly guarantees employment, it does help one move higher up the ladder later on. Game Wardens have to have it. Thats not an easy position to get, I tried - so many apply for it that you have to have a perfect resume and even that may not be enough, but if you don't have a degree you have no shot.

Besides, college is a fun experience.
Old 10-07-08, 07:15 PM   #16
tnfisherman

im 15 and half,,,,, up there there needing warden but having to cut back on alot of stuff
Old 10-07-08, 07:53 PM   #17
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i wish i wasnt in school
but it would be cool to be a game warden
Old 10-07-08, 08:22 PM   #18
tnfisherman

i want to be in law enforcement but didnt want to be stuck in a city ,,so then i cam up with a game warden ,,,,,,,,if that dont work out then im going to do ADC work
Old 10-07-08, 09:55 PM   #19
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
i want to be in law enforcement but didnt want to be stuck in a city ,,so then i cam up with a game warden ,,,,,,,,if that dont work out then im going to do ADC work

I don't know if you mean AC work, but thats a decent job. Thats what the old man does, and it's probably what I'll do after college unless somethin better pops up.....
Old 10-07-08, 10:34 PM   #20
bamabassman

GO TO COLLEGE MANNN!!! i can't stress this enough pal. i had a chance and BLEW IT!! now i am trying to go and get a 2 yr assc. so that i MIGHT have a chance to work at the nuclear palnt (belfonte). this much i can PROMISE you pal. without a degree you will have no money, huge bills, bad back,legs, arms, hands (maybe a few digits missing as well), among alot of other ailments. along with 30 years of saying to yourself "if only i had studied more, i would have that nice office job". trust me, GET THE DEGREE.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 11:09 PM   #21
tnfisherman

animal damage control is what i was saying ,,,, you know if some one have a problem with squirrels in the roof you come and trap them
Old 10-07-08, 11:23 PM   #22
WTL

Well, sounds like your mind is made up! Good luck!
Old 10-09-08, 02:09 PM   #23
Jim80

def go to college , even if you are looking into law enforcement the degree helps .
Old 10-09-08, 03:07 PM   #24
tnfisherman

well yea youall are right
Old 10-09-08, 10:55 PM   #25
bamabassman

it is only 4 very short years outa your life bubba. trust us... it'll be oh so worth it in the long run.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.