Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-08, 07:17 PM   #26
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've got a Remington 1187 auto. Not sure if they make it any longer or not but it will shot both high and low brass.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 03:14 PM   #27
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Errrr...not to be a smarty, but "High Brass" and "Low Brass" apply to the standard 2&3/4" shells whereas all (I'm fairly certain) 3" rounds have pretty much the same brass height.
In actuality, there is NO need for all but a minimal brass rim in the higher grade compression-molded hulls found today. These are also known as "one-piece hulls" and include the Winchester AA, SuperTarget, and Super-X loads as well as almost ALL Remington hulls. This applies to both 12 AND 20 Ga. loads in both brands as well as 28 gauge in both.
Interesting fact...There have been brassless shotgun shells developed and marketed, starting in the late 60s or so with the "Wanda" brand. These beauties, manufactured in Houston TX, were made in 12-bore only and featured a hard plastic case in a beautiful transparent red color. Molded into the base was a metal disk, with the needed primer hole. There was no crimp but instead a conical black plastic cap inserted over the shot. I still have some in my collection. (They even offered data and caps for reloading!)
Later on, in the 80s, another bunch marketed a similar shell, the differences being that they did have a crimped mouth like any other hull; they weren't "see through"; and they WERE made in both 12 and 20 bores.
Neither survived but they performed well. The Wanda shells fetch increasingly higher prices among collectors.

In the old paper hull days, higher pressure loads required higher brass in order to assure safety and the tradition carried over...more as a sales tool than for any truly valid reason.
I spent many years reloading for 12 and 20 Ga. and I can assure you that it's published fact that one can load a vicious goose load into a "low brass" hull so long as the hull is of high quality and in good condition...any published reloader's guide will tell you this.
The Rem 1187 does indeed accommodate both length shells but the trick is in the gas-operation system. NO blowback-operated semi-auto of which I am aware can do so without partial disassembly and reconfiguring the spring/ring lineup...see: The famous old "Squareback" Browning A5 or the Remingtom Model 48. The blowbacks kick more abruptly too whereas the gassies deliver recoil in a "shove", kinda like a bassboat's hole shot.
It's OK to shoot a short round in a long chamber, but nevAr, evAr, do the opposite.

Soooo..."High" and "Low" have nothing to do with shell length, velocity, or shot charge.

Lancer6

Last edited by Lancer6; 10-14-08 at 03:23 PM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 06:04 PM   #28
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for all the info lancer! I appreciate it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.