Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-10, 10:41 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New Jerkbait or Crankbait rod

I have enough money to get one new set up. I know that I want either a shallow to medium crankbait or jerkbait rod. Once I get enough money I will buy the other one, But for now I am stuck just buying one. I know I will be going with Dobyns rods Because the bass club I am in at my college is sponsored by them. Anyway which type of rod would work the best for both situations. I was thinking a 6'8" medium action for jerkbaits and the 7' MH for shallow cranks (or is this to heavy of a rod for shallow to mid cranks) since I can only get one rod which rod would work for both situations the best?

A side question is reels. I know for cranks you want a low gear ratio. But what about jerkbaits? I could see were a high speed would be good to pickup line between jerks and a low ratio to be easier on the arm. What ratio do you fish your jerkbaits?
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 11:02 PM   #2
Backwater Charlie

MH will be too stiff, especially for lighter Shallow Cranks. Go with a 6'8 to 7'2 M moderate rod. Dobyns Champion Cranking rod, 7' M version.

High gear ratio would be nice for Jerkbaits, something 7:1 or 7:3 would be great.
Old 04-30-10, 11:30 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Really, one rig will do fine for either shallow cranks or jerkbaits. After all, most jerkbaits are simply long, skinny shallow crankbaits. Like Charlie said, your rod should probably be a medium action, somewhere in the 6'6" to 7' range. For the reel, anything from 6.3:1 and up will do fine. If you want a faster reel, there's no reason not to use it, it's just really personal preference. You only really need a low gear ratio, like 5.3:1 or 4.7:1, when throwing big, deep diving crankbaits, because the big honkin' lip on those pulls so hard. The lower ratio gives you less speed but more torque, so it's easier on your wrist/forearm. But with a shallow crank, there's not enough pull to really "need" a lower geared reel.
Old 04-30-10, 11:41 PM   #4
MO3N

OK thanks for the advice in the long run I want two different ones just because I hate to stop fishing and retie. I like to just switch rods.....guess I'm lazy guess ill start with a 7' med and in the long run that will be my shallow to medium cranking stick. I want the shorter rod for jerks because I tend to work them tip down. and don't want it in the water the entire time. I guess I can fish either with a standard 6.4:1 ratio.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 05-01-10, 12:14 AM   #5
MississippiBoy

Oh yeah, definitely get two (sorry, my bait monkey took over the keyboard there for a second...) lol
You've got a good point about the shorter rod. I do the same thing with topwater lures, like Zara spooks, and also jerkbaits. That shorter rod definitely makes it easier to twitch it downwards.
Old 05-01-10, 12:15 AM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That 6-8 M action will work great for both. I agree with Charlie on the MH action rod-way too stiff for a small shallow crank like a Bandit 100.
Old 05-01-10, 04:21 AM   #7
Jrob78

Not to be nit-picky but you guys are saying M and MH action. I assume you mean power?

I actually prefer a M power rod for both applications but different actions. I like a M (moderate) action rod for shallow cranking and a F or XF action for jerkbaits.

For me a 6'6" MF rod is ideal for jerkbaits, i like a faster rod to impart the jerking action on the bait. A faster reel is good here too. I fish hard jerkbaits like I would a top water and very similar to the way I fish soft jerkbaits.

I like 7' MM rod for shallow cranking. You still want a shallow sq lipped crankbait to deflect well and a moderate action rod is better for this. I also like a slower speed reel because I tend to crank fairly quickly with a stop go retrieve. I don't want the bait moving too fast and wrist fatigue does start to become a issue after awhile.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 08:15 AM   #8
Cavs1123

I would go with a 7" M
Old 05-01-10, 08:56 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

First of all, I've heard nothing but good things about all the Dobyns Crankbait rods.

I really like a 7' Med. power, Mod. action rod for shallow cranking. Jerkbaits just kind of get thrown on whatever rod I've got open at the time, but I've been experimenting throwing them on my crankin' stick.

I'd go 6'8" for jerkbaits though, but I'd hate to have to throw all my cranks on a 6'8" rod. So, I'd probably go with a 7' right now and deal with the longer rod for jerkbaits.

Most shallow cranks weigh less than 1/2oz, so a Medium should work fine. If the jerkbaits you're throwing are smaller, and weight less then 1/2oz, the medium should again work great.

I'd go with the 704CB or 704CB Glass. If you'll be throwing heavier lures like 3/8oz and up, I'd look into the 705CB Glass (not the 705CBMF Glass though, I'd use that one for big baits like DD22s).

I've been looking onto Dobyns rods a lot lately, so when you get one, let me know how you like it.

BB
Old 05-01-10, 05:43 PM   #10
MO3N

I have also heard alot of good things about Dobyn's rods im pretty excited to get the rod. Next meeting ill talk to them about how to purchase it and ill let you know what I think of it once I fish it a little. I now need to find a good reel. I think for my Crankbaits ill stick with a standard gear ratio. I dont think I need a low ratio for shallow to medium cranks.
Old 05-01-10, 09:33 PM   #11
Rebbasser

I agree, you don't need a low GR for a shallow to medium crankbait. If you are going to throw a big bruiser like a DD-22 or a Strike King Series 6 I would highly recommend it. I've been throwing them on a BPS David Fritts crankbait reel-4.7:1 GR-and it makes a huge difference.
Old 05-02-10, 10:08 AM   #12
BigBassin144

More important than gear ratio is retrieve speed (in inches per handle turn). While GENERALLY similar throughout the same gear ratio, there can be and are some differences.

For Example:

Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo - 6.4:1 GR, 24" per handle turn
Abu Garcia Revo STX - 6.4:1 GR, 28"

Abu Garcia Winch - 5.4:1, 21"
Daiwa Zillion CC - 4.9:1, 22"

Another important thing to consider with a crankbait reel is torque. The reason low gear ratio reels are so popular for big deep divers is because they provide the angler more torque, making it easier to bring in baits with a lot of resistance.

But there are other ways for increasing torque. A longer handle is probably the easiest. The AG SKT Revo has a longer "power" handle. But keep in mind, a 7:1 GR reel with a long handle will probably have more torque than a 6:1 with a short handle.

However, the torque issue isn't as big a deal for shallow divers.

The SKT Revo is the reel I use for shallow cranks (well, for all my cranks right now). It works great for shallow and medium cranks, and isn't bad for deep cranks either because of the extra long handle.

BB
Old 05-02-10, 05:26 PM   #13
Rebbasser

I have to disagree a bit there, BB. Throw a DD-22 on a 6.3:1 GR and then a 4.7:1 GR. Regardless of the retrieve speed you will notice a HUGE difference. It is low gear on your truck. It is not designed for speed, it is designed for pulling power. If you can throw a big deep diver on a 6.3:1 have at it. I prefer comfort and the low GR gives it to me.
Old 05-02-10, 09:33 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I have to disagree a bit there, BB. Throw a DD-22 on a 6.3:1 GR and then a 4.7:1 GR. Regardless of the retrieve speed you will notice a HUGE difference. It is low gear on your truck. It is not designed for speed, it is designed for pulling power. If you can throw a big deep diver on a 6.3:1 have at it. I prefer comfort and the low GR gives it to me.
I definitely agree that lower gear ratio reels are better for throwing deep divers. But, just like on your truck, it's because the low gear ratio gives you more torque. And when you have more torque, it makes it much easier to reel those big baits (or pull a big heavy boat).

BB
Old 05-03-10, 09:48 AM   #15
Rebbasser

BB, looks like we are on the same page after all.
Old 05-30-10, 11:17 PM   #16
MO3N

I know this is an old thread I had but I am getting about ready to place my order with the club for a few dobyns rods. I have read the reviews on tackletour and the 704CB had high ratings but the 704CB GLASS is a little cheaper but the 704CB GLASS is a medium poser and fast action. What one would you go with? they are only $30 dollars difference so its not to much to worry about but what one do you guys think is the better for shallow cranks?
Old 05-31-10, 02:45 AM   #17
nofearengineer

I just bought a 6'9" Kistler Helium II LTX MH Fast action rod, and I can safely say, it is the most perfect jerkbait rod ever to grace my hand. Of course, Kister's MH is somewhere between a MH and a M on most rods, so it's not really a pool cue. That extra bit of softness allows me to cast lighter jerkbaits a long way, allowing for more effective search patterns.
Old 05-31-10, 09:52 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
I know this is an old thread I had but I am getting about ready to place my order with the club for a few dobyns rods. I have read the reviews on tackletour and the 704CB had high ratings but the 704CB GLASS is a little cheaper but the 704CB GLASS is a medium poser and fast action. What one would you go with? they are only $30 dollars difference so its not to much to worry about but what one do you guys think is the better for shallow cranks?
MO3N, the 704CB Glass is a fast action fiberglass rod, which isn't going to act like a fast action graphite rod. It's still going to give you a nice action for crankbaits similar to the 704CB.

Personally, I haven't used any glass crankbait rods, but haven't liked the ones I've handled. However, I've heard the Dobyns CB Glass rods feel nothing like normal glass rods in hand. Even in pictures you can tell they aren't as thick, and they are much better balanced than a normal glass rod.

I think graphite rods make better shallow crankbait rods, while glass rods make better deep cranking sticks. So I'd personally go with the 704CB. Either way though, I don't think you can go wrong.

BB
Old 05-31-10, 05:03 PM   #19
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

i recently bought the skeet reese signature rod. Its a 6'8" rod, its the jerkbait/topwater rod and it is sweet. Depending on where u get it its between 90 and 100 $. I was throwing really light poppers on it the other night. With a gandermountain classic reel it throws a mile. If your lookin for a jerbait rod, i recommend this one.
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 12:46 AM   #20
MO3N

thanks for the advice guys. The bass club is doing a order hopefully within this month. Ill let you know what I think of it once I take it out a few times.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.