Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-10, 09:58 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Lets talk poppers.

Recently I submitted a post about wolfpack bassin. The bass were attacking schools of small baitfish at the surface throughout the day. I caught lots of bass, but only on a couple lures. The lure I had my best luck with was a bone colored popper that says PJ Popper on it. I don't know anything about the company that made it. Anyways, although I caught a lot of bass on that popper I wasn't very saticfied with how the popper performed. It has a small cupped mouth and kinda darted irregularly all over the place. That was the only time I've had much success with a popper, but now that I have, I want to pick up a couple more. I'm specifically looking for a popper in the 3 inch, 1/2 oz. size range so that I can cast it a good long ways to those schools that are too far away to reach with a small light weight popper. I've been looking at a few different ones at Tackle Warehouse. Some I'm interrested in are...
Don Iovino's large size popper. TW does not list the actual size other than just "large". It's about a $14.00 lure.
Lucky Craft Splash It 70. 2 3/4 inch and 7/16 oz. $15.00 popper.
Rebel Pop R 3" and 1/2 oz. only $4.99
Yellow Magic Japanese popper at about $15.00

I'm not very well versed in poppers, what makes for a good popper, color schemes that would be prefered, and so on. The Rebel popper is cheaper but not as impressive as the others when it comes to appearance. The others cost 3 times as much, but are they 3 times as well made, and do they perform better. So for you popper fisheerman out there, how about helpin out a popper newbie? Whats your favorite popper makes/models and why. And suggestions for colors? Match the hatch, or something more subdued so the fish cant see the lure too clearly? Any helpfull suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.