Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-12, 11:06 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A little culinary advice.

This is not anything special really. I know there are guys in here who make their own rubs as do I sometimes. But, there are times when you just need or want to buy a rub from the grociery store. And I've found one I like so much I had to share it with you guys. Made by McCormick, it's one of their line of Grill Mates rubs. It's called Applewood Rub. I've used it on many types of pork, salmon and other fish, and chicken. It is just plain knock your socks off good! I've only used it when grilling but I imagine it can be used for broiling and such as well. My boys prefer it for chicken over any other type of poultry seasoning. I've never used it on beef, but I imagine it's good that way too. I have a couple other things for beef seasoning I really like, so I stick with those. Anyways, just wanted to pass the word along. Try it out. I have no doubt your going to like it.
Old 05-08-12, 11:15 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

KD, we do use the applewood sometimes. Its good.
Old 05-08-12, 11:50 PM   #3
joedog

keithdog thanks.
I've been looking and trying alot of rubs with no REAL displeasure but no REAL pleasure either.
I use Grill Mates Montreal Steak on ...ya you guessed right.
I use it grilling, broiling even pan frying. It really is good and kind of unique without being over powering.
Thanks again cause I'm getting some tommorrow due to a client gave me some baby backs today and the 'Grill Monkey' has been on my shoulder all day, time to nock him off, thanks.
Old 05-09-12, 06:59 AM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
keithdog thanks.
I've been looking and trying alot of rubs with no REAL displeasure but no REAL pleasure either.
I use Grill Mates Montreal Steak on ...ya you guessed right.
I use it grilling, broiling even pan frying. It really is good and kind of unique without being over powering.
Thanks again cause I'm getting some tommorrow due to a client gave me some baby backs today and the 'Grill Monkey' has been on my shoulder all day, time to nock him off, thanks.
I'm sure your going to like it. Another good rub for ribs is Famous Daves Rib Rub. I also use the Montreal seasoning on steaks from time to time. It's pretty darn good.
Old 05-09-12, 04:35 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Try these two rubs..
Tony Chachere on pork chops
Sylvia's Chicken rub on chicken.

The Applewood is good and so is the Coffee rub..

Capt Mike
Old 05-09-12, 05:33 PM   #6
bassinbob

Getting tired of Cajun, think I'll try it dog.
Old 05-09-12, 07:16 PM   #7
islandbass

I can second that, keithdog. It is surprisingly good for an off the shelf product. It wells pretty well on roasted slices/wedges roasted in the oven basted with some olive oil and fine sea salt, and the rub.
Old 05-09-12, 10:13 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Gonna have to give that a try. McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning is one of my favorites for steaks.

For grilled chicken, I've got my own mix of herbs and spices I usually use, but I always love trying new stuff.

BB
Old 05-09-12, 11:32 PM   #9
joedog

Kieth it was great!
So now I owe you one.

This is a recipe left to me from my father who died when I was in 8th grade.
Where I grew up 'Chickenques' were big fund raisers along with smelt fries. My father helped and he and a buddy had a big trailor gue and made the chicken.
This was thier recipe broken down for smaller batch.
4 tablespoons of butter or margerine
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce (say that 5 times fast )
2oz of beer
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch of Cayenne Pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Simmer a short time on stove
Bast skin side up (for breasts) You can also remove skin if your feeling heaithy.

They called it a marinade/bast for barbeque chicken, at least thats how he labeled it on the sheet he left to me.
Also works good on whole chicken on one of those beer can grill roaster dueys.
I just stick a 16ozer up it's neck, but thats me. I do breasts and then vacum pack and freeze as singles and thaw and cut for sandwiches or a meal but I live alone.

Just an idea for you elders,
make a booklet or old time recipe card holder with the cards (thats what my father did) for each and every child. (makes a great wedding or birthday gift) You think they'll get them when you become an angel or you gave it to them before or they really don't like to cook, whatever.
Recipies get lost, miss placed, not asked for ect.
My mother died and it took me 2 yrs to track down her recipies. Some things were favorites as kids, grandchildren will love them. Worse case scenario, they end up with duplicates.
With the internet and food channels and all, the art of passing along recipies has kind of been lost.
I dig thru my grandmas recipies and find things I remembered her baking only after stumbling on it while looking for something else. Man the memeries when I'm making a recipie my mother and father left.

I use woodchips and Charcol grill but my son uses propane.I bast when first put on grill and re-apply till sauce is used up.

His partner opened a resturant that made nothing but chicken grilled this way.
Was open three days a week. Opened at noon, closed when that days chicken ran out. He had a line at the door by 11:45
Old 05-10-12, 07:06 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Kieth it was great!
So now I owe you one.

This is a recipe left to me from my father who died when I was in 8th grade.
Where I grew up 'Chickenques' were big fund raisers along with smelt fries. My father helped and he and a buddy had a big trailor gue and made the chicken.
This was thier recipe broken down for smaller batch.
4 tablespoons of butter or margerine
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce (say that 5 times fast )
2oz of beer
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch of Cayenne Pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Simmer a short time on stove
Bast skin side up (for breasts) You can also remove skin if your feeling heaithy.

They called it a marinade/bast for barbeque chicken, at least thats how he labeled it on the sheet he left to me.
Also works good on whole chicken on one of those beer can grill roaster dueys.
I just stick a 16ozer up it's neck, but thats me. I do breasts and then vacum pack and freeze as singles and thaw and cut for sandwiches or a meal but I live alone.

Just an idea for you elders,
make a booklet or old time recipe card holder with the cards (thats what my father did) for each and every child. (makes a great wedding or birthday gift) You think they'll get them when you become an angel or you gave it to them before or they really don't like to cook, whatever.
Recipies get lost, miss placed, not asked for ect.
My mother died and it took me 2 yrs to track down her recipies. Some things were favorites as kids, grandchildren will love them. Worse case scenario, they end up with duplicates.
With the internet and food channels and all, the art of passing along recipies has kind of been lost.
I dig thru my grandmas recipies and find things I remembered her baking only after stumbling on it while looking for something else. Man the memeries when I'm making a recipie my mother and father left.

I use woodchips and Charcol grill but my son uses propane.I bast when first put on grill and re-apply till sauce is used up.

His partner opened a resturant that made nothing but chicken grilled this way.
Was open three days a week. Opened at noon, closed when that days chicken ran out. He had a line at the door by 11:45
That sounds fantastic. Thanks for the info!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.