Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-08, 03:45 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Promising Project Turns Out Disappointing

Earlier this summer, I had the itch to paint one of my reels just for challenge and the fun of it. To do this, I carefully planned out my steps and followed through as best as I could realizing a couple things that were against me:

1) I am not skilled at taking a reel apart without a schematic to say the least and I didn’t have one.
2) I can’t paint worth a darn, but hey, it’s spray paint.
3) Zero experience, but I had to start somewhere.

I decided that my Trion LP was the reel (i.e., victim) of choice to experiment with. I was going to paint it purple on the outsides with a metallic silver inside. Ooohhh, the excitement was unbearable.

I am normally a very patient person, but for some reason, I couldn’t wait for Pflueger to send me the schematics.

The first step was priming the parts of the reel that were going to be painted.

Promising Prospects

Laying on the purple; I was getting really excited here. Things were looking great.

Then the metallic silver

At this time, it sure was looking good.

From Promising to Uh Oh to Disturbing

But we all know that just because something looks good doesn’t always mean that it is good. I do not know why, but the Metallic Silver (Rustoleum metallic silver) would not adhere to the primer. Anything that touched the paint damaged it, from napkins to fingerprints. The bonding was so weak that the Goo Gone I used to remove the fingerprints actually removed the silver paint!! Unbelievable. I guessed perhaps the primer I used and the silver paint didn’t mixed so I removed the primer and painted the silver metallic paint without it. Fortunately the silver covered the original paint job nicely. Unfortunately, the result was the same. To say the least, I was very disappointed. The silver looked so crappy that I didn’t even bother to take photos.

I also tried multiple times to apply the silver and all attempts yielded the same poor results.

My art consultant (my 8 year old daughter) told me that she too was disappointed since the color scheme was her idea. She recommended that of all the colors we had in the garage, only yellow would somewhat match the purple. Huh… Oh well… Kind of Husky (University of Washington, but they use gold) colors.

I was so upset. All this hard work; carefully taping, removing tape and paint, re-taping and I have to settle with yellow for now. At least the yellow stuck well. But I am not satisfied. I am going need to find a shade of gold to make it a truer Husky reel, perhaps a shade that also matches the handle.

-ib
Old 10-06-08, 04:12 AM   #2
1/4 stick

A few layers Clearcoat over the purple and silver probably would of made the silver work better. With the clear coat, lay down a couple light coats, let completely dry between coats, then get some very fine wetsanding paper an lightly wet-sand, then another coat of clearcoat. That might need to be repeated one or two more times. Just make sure when you sand the clearcoat not to sand down to the paint. That's how I'd do it anyway. It's some-what the process used on motorcycles. If done well, you'l get a nice shiney effect.
Old 10-06-08, 07:04 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Good idea about getting a gold ot match the handle. And also, you're daughter was right about the yellow. It goes very nicely with the purple (and they are complimentary colors)

Before you give up on the silver, try that paint that adheres to plastic. I think Krylon makes it.

BB
Old 10-06-08, 10:40 AM   #4
islandbass

Thanks for the comments.

1/4 Stick, you should have seen what the clear coat did to the purple paint. It shriveled it up and made the purple contract and wrinkle. It did kind of look cool. I didn't mention that part because the thread was already long.

This reel will definitely be repainted.
Old 10-06-08, 10:51 AM   #5
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like the combo kinda reminds me of the JMU Dukes (James Madison University)
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 11:21 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

I don't like the Purple and Yellow color. I reminds me of LSU.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 11:37 AM   #7
WTL

Wonder how it will stand up to boat rash.
Old 10-06-08, 02:27 PM   #8
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks for the comments.

1/4 Stick, you should have seen what the clear coat did to the purple paint. It shriveled it up and made the purple contract and wrinkle. It did kind of look cool. I didn't mention that part because the thread was already long.

This reel will definitely be repainted.
If it's body is plastic, you might want to check a hobby store, one that deals with the plastic models. They should be able to match the right clear coat to the paint you'll use. I had that happen on a bike Ipainted as a kid. I just kept wet sanding an reaplying the clear coat. The effect was pretty cool, but doubt you wanna do that with the reel.

Oh well, another useles suggestion of mine. There's plenty more where that one came from. hehehehe

Last edited by 1/4 stick; 10-06-08 at 02:47 PM.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 04:19 PM   #9
islandbass

Thanks, 1/4 stick. According to Pflueger, the trion is supposed to be all aluminum, side plate included.

Will have to pursue this project come winter time.
Old 10-06-08, 05:50 PM   #10
bamabassman

lmao, shoulda used crimson pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 06:51 PM   #11
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

constructive critism here.......That is one ugly reel.

It goes without saying, fish don't care what color reel your using, its all about the bait presentation.
Old 10-06-08, 08:25 PM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

islandbass,

Sorry your project didn't work out. I know what you are going for and you can see similarly painted reels on the "Japantackle" web site. The metallic colors do look cool.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 12:33 AM   #13
Christopherkeene9

Most cheap metallics will do just as you say. The high end automotive paints is about the only thing that works. I paint everyday as my job, I doubt you're gonna want to spend 2 -3 hundred dollars to get the system to do that metallic correct.

Any other help though just holler!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 04:03 AM   #14
islandbass

Chris,

Thanks! An auto painter told me the same thing. If anything, the reel is ugly enough to now be theft proof.
Old 10-07-08, 06:14 AM   #15
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Chris,

Thanks! An auto painter told me the same thing. If anything, the reel is ugly enough to now be theft proof.

Never know, it's usually the ugly that are lucky. It might turn out to be your best bass getter.

Then again...

If that were true I'd be flying to vegas on my privite jet this morning. hehehe
Old 10-07-08, 03:34 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You can go to hobby stores and buying small cans of paints for models and stuff. Those should work too.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.