Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-10, 12:31 AM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Cork or EVA?

Seems like rod makers are trending toward eva grips these days. In large part, I'm sure, because it's about 1/4 the price of cork. I have always preferred cork but I am starting to come around on eva. I think it looks good and is comfortable. What do you guys prefer on your rods?
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:35 AM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Spilt grip I dont mind the eva, but if its not spilt it needs to be cork.
Old 02-24-10, 01:15 AM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Cork all the way.
Old 02-24-10, 08:15 AM   #4
Bassboss

I like slit grip EVA, I hate the looks of full grip EVA though. But I still think EVA is more comfy.
Old 02-24-10, 09:04 AM   #5
Bender

I don't have any rods with EVA other than one Airrus and that is only on the removable end piece so I'm not sure.

From what I see on sites like Mudhole the EVA handles are only 10-25% less expensive, which is only $4-8. Not much in the overall price of a rod I wouldn't think. Maybe it's more if you are comparing cork rings vs. EVA kit.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 09:09 AM   #6
BassinNC

I like cork better but I do have a few split grip rods with eva and I like them alot. I don't like full grip eva at all.
Old 02-24-10, 09:16 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't have any rods with foam handles yet, but I do like some of them, depending on the foam used. Most rod manufacturers use their own version of EVA. And I like the foams that are a bit harder like cork. I don't want a squishy grip, lol.

I agree that EVA in a full handle would look very cheap, and kind of Ugly Stik-ish. But the EVA split grips are a different story. Depending on the rod, they look cool. But I think cork goes better on rods that are more plain, like Loomis rods.

While cork is considered to be the standard, EVA is growing in popularity, and is even found on top of the line rods now. Foam is lighter, and like Jrob said, more cost effective. I think it really comes down to personal preference though.

BB
Old 02-24-10, 10:49 AM   #8
screwballl

I have a mixture... but for bassin, cork relays the small ticks and nibbles much better so a split handle would work better if the foam is used... but also for the clumsies or ones that may have kids/friends/drinking buddies knock it into the water, the cork has the added benefit of keeping the rod afloat (unless a big bass has a hold of it)
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:56 AM   #9
Jrob78

I definitely agree that a full grip rod HAS to be cork. Full eva grips would look like a cheapo or a salt water rod. The one rod I own that has eva has split grips and is somewhat "blinged" out. The eva looks good on that rod and is very comfortable. Like BB said, the hard, higher quality eva is much better. Ask WaffleJaw about squishy eva, it's no good at all.

Here are some prices to compare, this is the real reason rod companies are using eva.

Cork

eva

Thanks for the tip BigBassin, I didn't know how to make links like that either.
Old 02-24-10, 11:17 AM   #10
Bender

I suppose it depends on the target market for which you are building rods. $10-15 difference isn't a deciding factor for me on a rod purchase but if you are building a budget rod in the less than $100 price range then that would be a huge difference, >10% of the cost. Then again if you make something that people don't like they won't buy that either. It's a tough balancing act sometimes and I guess that is what you are trying to gather information about with this thread.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:26 AM   #11
BigBassin144

One reason I like cork for building rods is I use cork rings and that lets me really customize the handle. Although I guess I could buy the EVA block and still shape it how I wanted it.

BB
Old 02-24-10, 11:41 AM   #12
WTL

Anybody know who makes the eva with the crosshatched pattern? I saw some on a rod at basspro the other day, can't remember who did the rod, but I really liked it. It was the harder foam.

Self edit; I think I might see what it was, "flocked rubber shrink tube"...in which case it must have been over eva. I sure liked the way it felt in hand.

Last edited by WTL; 02-24-10 at 11:53 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:03 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
One reason I like cork for building rods is I use cork rings and that lets me really customize the handle. Although I guess I could buy the EVA block and still shape it how I wanted it.

BB
Yea but inlays and customizing EVA is way more easier and fun
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...pictureid=1610

I cant add those little grooves in cork with out it chipping..However, Im about to spin cork on the lathe and try a wood burner to create the same affect

The only downfall with EVA is that on a hot summer day your hand will sweat more...The good thing is that EVA is closed celled material so it wont absord like cork....Cork chips,has knots,burls and weak spots....If your dent cork...It aint coming back...Eva will reshape itself.
To keep cork from absorbing your have to seal it..and thats only a temporary fix,over time the sealant wears off.
I swore by cork until I gave EVA a try.....I will still build with cork when I feel it compliments the rod better,Theres just some thread color combos that EVA just cant compliment like cork.

I cut and shape my own handles..So buying a firm 10'' tapered EVA grip only cost about $3-4....Quality grade cork runs about $15...And in rod building,we need that that extra $$ for shipping!!!..hahaha!

Like Jrob said,there is cheap EVA...Im left with about 2 10'' grips that I probably will never use.....Their too soft,and I had two experiences where masking tape..yes,masking tape,pulled tiny chunks out of the foam...I absolutely couldnt believe it,and will never settle for cheap EVA again...I prefer the firmer EVA!..Never had a issue with it. (yet)

I really,really like the feel and look of EVA grips...Its like the Tempur-pedic mattress of fishing!

And yes.....Cork striaght handles do look better...I will agree with that.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 02-24-10 at 12:10 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:08 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Anybody know who makes the eva with the crosshatched pattern? I saw some on a rod at basspro the other day, can't remember who did the rod, but I really liked it. It was the harder foam.

Self edit; I think I might see what it was, "flocked rubber shrink tube"...in which case it must have been over eva. I sure liked the way it felt in hand.

Yea on the Carbonlite rods....Me and Jrob were talking about those over the weekend...I like that as well...It is pricey though to buy....Im gonna let Jrob try it first...If he succeeds,then ill try it.hahaha!...Thats science!
Old 02-24-10, 12:23 PM   #15
Jrob78

I've been buying 12" preformed cork grips and cutting and shaping them to fit my needs. You can make 3 or 4 short rear grips out of one piece. I want to try the cork rings but I haven't yet. The other issue with cork is when you start sanding it all the pits show up, you sand out all the filler. Really high quality cork is hard to come by and not cheap. The cork most rod building suppliers sell is pretty low grade.

Like Waffle said, I am going to go on a case by case basis, I prefer cork but if I think eva will look better I won't hesitate to use it.

Quote:
I suppose it depends on the target market for which you are building rods. $10-15 difference isn't a deciding factor for me on a rod purchase but if you are building a budget rod in the less than $100 price range then that would be a huge difference, >10% of the cost. Then again if you make something that people don't like they won't buy that either. It's a tough balancing act sometimes and I guess that is what you are trying to gather information about with this thread.
I only build for myself so the cost of a single grip isn't really an issue in the grand scheme of things. If I were to build a rod to sell it would totally be the clients call as I would pass the cost on to them.

Here you go WTL, I think this is what you're talking about. It looks really cool and I would like to try it, i'm just not sure how it would work. It is a heat shrink material.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-bui...ps/273505.aspx
Old 02-24-10, 12:40 PM   #16
WTL

Thats not too expensive when you factor out how many rods it can do. I think I will try it as soon as I make my next order, so I can combine shipping. I bet I could shrink it over cork the same, I have some cork grips that are getting very worn and pitted. Having only 3 rods that I used for a while meant lots more wear and tear on each.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 01:13 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Thats not too expensive when you factor out how many rods it can do. I think I will try it as soon as I make my next order, so I can combine shipping. I bet I could shrink it over cork the same, I have some cork grips that are getting very worn and pitted. Having only 3 rods that I used for a while meant lots more wear and tear on each.
I'm sure you could shrink it over cork. Just buy the largest diameter they have and take a palm sander to the cork grips if you have to take a little off.
Old 02-24-10, 03:46 PM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I'm sure you could shrink it over cork. Just buy the largest diameter they have and take a palm sander to the cork grips if you have to take a little off.

May need to secure it with an ahedsive if you do it on cork...Maybe not though?...Cork possibly has enough grit on it to grab it....Just have to try and see...I talked to a builder that secures it with Duro spray adhesive on Hypalon foam thats why I bring it up...

I bet that would look pretty sexy on cork.

It would look like a stripper's leg!!
haha.
Old 02-24-10, 04:21 PM   #19
BigBassin144

My dad used to build rods years ago when he fished for steel head. Now we've got a box of cork rings that would probably cost over $100 now days.

We've bought a bit of decorative cork to do some things like this:

BB
Old 02-24-10, 04:40 PM   #20
Jrob78

That looks good BB!! They sell all kinds of decorative rings in different colors and textures. I have been itching to try them out.
Old 02-24-10, 04:46 PM   #21
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
My dad used to build rods years ago when he fished for steel head. Now we've got a box of cork rings that would probably cost over $100 now days.

We've bought a bit of decorative cork to do some things like this:

BB
Yea combing the dark and light cork are always an eye pleaser....I especailly like the look of burled cork.

Is that the same rod you show'd me when I first got into building?

I still cant believe those little cork cutting jigs on mudhole are $70 bucks!!...god thats ridiculous...Some people make thier own out plumbing caps...for a buck!..lol.

But I guess you dont even need those anymore since they sell the checkerd and the sliced rings too
Old 02-24-10, 04:48 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Waffle, I do think that's the rod I showed you. Only one I've built, and I didn't do all of it though.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 02-24-10 at 05:25 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:43 PM   #23
Rebbasser

What goes around comes around. 20 years ago it was EVA, split grips, and pistol grip rods. They went away, and now are coming back. the more things change the more they stay the same.

All my rods are cork. I've used EVA in the past and really don't have a preference.
Old 02-27-10, 07:18 PM   #24
Cavs1123

I like them both but I like cork better becuase it offers better grip in the rainy weather
Old 02-27-10, 09:10 PM   #25
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm starting to find, over the past year or so, that I like EVA better than cork on my finesse rigs. My shakey head/dropshot setup has EVA as well and one of my jigging rods. The soft EVA just feels better to me when I'm really dialed in to feeling those soft bites. Everything else, though, is cork.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.