Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-10, 01:36 PM   #1
FLTXBASSMAN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing rods

What i would like to see just as the site has the line types for differents baits could kevin do a and link for what type of rods would match up with these line. not saying that they need to be top of the line ,just medium,med. heavy, heavy. what lines work best for spinning rods or casting rods. also i have heard that floracarbon lines do not cast well on spinning rods, that there is alot of line twist to them.any help would be greatful. thanks
FLTXBASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 02:34 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know if that's necessary, and could possibly be a moot point, unfortunately.

The choice of rod can be made independent of line type is my reason. Regardless of whether the rod is an ultralight, a flippin' stick, or one best suited for crankbaits, each and everyone of these rods can function well with any line type.

As for the claim of fc lines not casting well on spinning rods, that is not always the case and it isn't for me. The castibility of a line is more dependent on its line diameter, the weight and aerdynamics of the lure and the rod's traits. Generally speaking, the thinner the line's diameter, the farther the line should cast with all things being equal.

As a rule of thumb, staying within the rod's line weight recommendation is usually a good idea.

As for line twist, that is inherent on all spinning reels. Not good nor bad but it is what it is. This line twist is manageable too.

If you wish to use FC line on a spinning reel, I recommend using the lightest line you can get away with and search for the limpest version of FC line you can find. FC lines are not equal. FC lines can vary in traits just as mono lines can. There are stiff and wirey FC lines as well as limp FC lines.
Old 03-04-10, 03:06 PM   #3
Jrob78

There are also too many variables that go into line choices. For the most part in general, any line type will work with any rod and any bait but any line won't work well for every situation.

For example, people use heavy braid on heavy casting rigs for flipping heavy cover, people also use light braid on finesse spinning set ups, two completely different applications. You might use light fluorcarbon on a crank bait set up to get the bait a little deeper. On the other hand you might need to use a heavy mono on the same set up if you are fishing shallow water where you don't want the bait to run so deep. My point is, there really isn't a cut and dry answer to your question. Different lines excel in different situations regardless of what rod you happen to be fishing with. There aren't necessarily any right or wrong answers.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:29 AM   #4
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

agreed... everything is a matter of preference...
I prefer spinning reels, 7ft medium or medium-heavy rods and 12-20lb Pline CX or CXX line for almost everything bass related. I do have one setup that I use 15 lb PowerPro green braid for lures that may get caught in the vegetation.
Even my bluegill/panfish setup is a spinning reel, 6lb Pline CX and a 6'6" Medium rod.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:49 PM   #5
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
There are also too many variables that go into line choices. For the most part in general, any line type will work with any rod and any bait but any line won't work well for every situation.

For example, people use heavy braid on heavy casting rigs for flipping heavy cover, people also use light braid on finesse spinning set ups, two completely different applications. You might use light fluorcarbon on a crank bait set up to get the bait a little deeper. On the other hand you might need to use a heavy mono on the same set up if you are fishing shallow water where you don't want the bait to run so deep. My point is, there really isn't a cut and dry answer to your question. Different lines excel in different situations regardless of what rod you happen to be fishing with. There aren't necessarily any right or wrong answers.

I agree,but i still think it might not be a bad idea...
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 01:52 AM   #6
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I Think it would be cool if there could be a video or just an article on what rods to use for what baits. Not really brand or anything but maybe something like the action and power and length of rods for shallow cranks, deep cranks, jigs, worms, spinnerbaits and all the other baits we use. Because I'm sure people will get tired of answering all my questions if I was to post a new thread for every possible rod I could want (which I may still have to do). I know everyone has there own opinions on each type of rod but i'm sure a starting point would help.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.