Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-10, 06:42 PM   #1
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jig Help

Ok guys i need some jig help. How should i fish them? What colors should I use? Can I use a MH rod and 12 lb line for them?
Old 03-18-10, 07:02 PM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I keep my colors simple.
Black and blue in stained water, black and chart in muddy water and a green pumpkin in clear water. If I'm swimming a jig I use black and blue in dirty water and blue gill or white/ shad color.

I use a 7'6" h rod with 50 lb braid when flipping heavy cover. Any other time I use a 7' mh with 15lb flouro.
Old 03-18-10, 07:26 PM   #3
bassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
I keep my colors simple.
Black and blue in stained water, black and chart in muddy water and a green pumpkin in clear water. If I'm swimming a jig I use black and blue in dirty water and blue gill or white/ shad color.

I use a 7'6" h rod with 50 lb braid when flipping heavy cover. Any other time I use a 7' mh with 15lb flouro.
took the words right of my mouth.(mine were gonna sound a little inexperienced though,cause i am)
Old 03-23-10, 12:13 PM   #4
doc

Dont overlook the power of a peanut butter and jelly colored jig in clearer water either
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 03:04 PM   #5
BassAddict

We had good luck with a Pumpkin/orange Bitsy Bug jig with a rootbeer colored Zoom Super Chunk Jr. trailer on the river last weekend. The water was stained and 57 degrees. They were killing that jig. 15 lb Pline FloroClear on a MH spinning rod. Those Bitsy Bugs catch a lot of fish!
Old 03-23-10, 05:11 PM   #6
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

bassinnc nailed it!
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:24 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Cavs, I'd definitely check out Kevin's videos on jig fishing. They were very helpful for me.

I'm fairly new to catching fish on jigs (got my first jig fish last year), but here's my take.

For colors, I like to keep it simple, using 4-5 colors, but my favorite two are Black and Blue, and some variation of a watermelon color. The majority of the time, I fish a 3/8 oz jigs, but will go lighter or heavier when the situation demands it.

For gear, I like to throw my jigs on a 7' H F rod, but a MH power will work fine. I also use 30lb braid. And if I'm casting the jigs (like from the shore of a small reservoir), I'll add a 12-15lb fluorocarbon leader.

BB
Old 03-23-10, 09:52 PM   #8
screwballl

Still no fish on jigs here but I plan to work them as much as possible this year
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 10:23 PM   #9
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Other people have nailed the color rod and line size. As far as techniques it is like a spinnerbait there is a hundred ways to fish a jig. If I need a slow presentation I will either crawl it acrossed the bottom ( this works well in stained water) or I will jig it reel in slack and crawl it for a reel turn or two and let it sit then repeat back to the boat. If the reaction bite is on I will cast my jig to shore ( if I can i will cast it on shore and the reel it into the water. When I get about foot from shore I will rip the jig (like ripping a trap through weeds) then let it sit and repeat. You can also swim a jig on the reaction bite. When they move deeper you need the longer rod for flipping and pitching. Just flip and pitch to cover. Those are my most successful ways i fish a jig.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 03:59 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Looks like everyone has got you pretty well squared away with sound advice. Like they said keep the colors simple at first and once you build confidence in a few colors you can expand with different variations of these colors. I would get some Black and Blue jigs for colored water, some Watermelon or PB&J for clearer water, and some type of crawdad immitation as well. As for line I only throw my jigs on 15lb Seaguar AbrazX flourocarbon but that is because I have rods that are used only for jigs, these rods are 7' heavy with a split grip handle. But if you don't have a rod with more backbone for jigs or you don't fish jigs in deep water then you can get by just fine with 12lb line and a Meduim Heavy rod. If you are fishing deeper water and don't want to go the flourcarbon route then you might consider braid. I just don't like mono too well for deeper water because of the stretch and a longer heavier rod as well as flourocarbon line or braid really gets good hooksets for me.

hope this helps.
Old 03-24-10, 04:52 PM   #11
everettvet

I will put this out there since Kory didn't mention it in his previous post. Go to www.thunderstruckjigs.com and watch the videos and I think they will help. I thought Kory and Britney did a good job with them. Also, there are countless numbers of videos on the net on jigs. Have fun.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 06:21 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
I will put this out there since Kory didn't mention it in his previous post. Go to www.thunderstruckjigs.com and watch the videos and I think they will help. I thought Kory and Britney did a good job with them. Also, there are countless numbers of videos on the net on jigs. Have fun.
Thanks Danny, in all honesty I never thought about it.
Old 03-25-10, 08:20 AM   #13
Bassboss

You seen crawdad's in the water right? Well that's pretty much how you should work a jig. Just hop it along the bottom, and stop it for a good 5, 10 seconds at a time... a little faster in hotter water.

As far as colors, green pumpkin, red, back and blue, and Texas Craw been the best for me! With Black and Blue being my least favorite, and Texas craw being my favorite.

12lb line should be ok, as long as you're not fishing thick cover. Flouro or Copolymer like CXX is the best for Coploy, and your choice fluoro (I've only used BPS, I liked CXX better ). Mono will work for the time being, but, I would not recommend it by a long shot!

MH is perfect!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-25-10 at 05:02 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 10:54 AM   #14
Vegasspider

My personal effective method is a 7’ MH rod Steez Bait Casters but a baitcaster is preferred even though you could use a spinner. But I use BPS’s XPS 30-50lb braid with a 4’ fluorocarbon 12-14 lb leader. Assuming clear water and lots of rocks (I.e. Lake Mead) I fish a football head with a green pumpkin water melon collar. The leader is very important with jig fishing for a few reasons. Some don’t realize the snap strength in braid is very sensitive and the knots required to stay secure are much different. The fluorocarbon sinks nicely, goes invisible and quite stealth. Any how without a trailer MAKE SURE YOUR ON THE BOTTOM and if you think your on the bottom do this again, MAKE SURE YOUR ON THE BOTTOM. I use a straight up retrieve slow as possible fall causing some sort of darting action on the way back down TO THE BOTTOM and a count of 3-5 on the BOTTOM. In my region I have been using Canyon plastics Skin and Bones as a trailer and that little finger calls the smallies like the ice cream man. I have fished this combo recently from 40 – 65 degree water. I bagged a healthily limit every day with this method and switched back and forth to tubes to win the last three local tournaments. Of course I did get a monster on a practice day….. My boat partner is now a believer and guess what, this last weekend local tournament – 50% of the guys wanted to bum Skin and Bones off me.

So anyhow with all of that being said, make sure your on the bottom with or without a trailer. Darts are key.

I have another total secret that I have been playing with that actually came from my daughter fishing in our swimming pool with a jig trailer. I have never seen anyone mention it but the fall with this is incredible and it combines the best of both worlds. Most will think I am crazy for doing it but they will sneak out and try it. I need to think about if I want to expose my “wacky” method. I have a few buddies that post here and I compete against them. Perhaps another time.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 11:43 AM   #15
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Vegas, PM me your secret
Old 03-25-10, 04:28 PM   #16
screwballl

Jigs haven't worked well for me... maybe your secret is what I need to catch something, and considering I am clear across the country, its not like I talk to anyone here or there... I like fishing alone anyways.
Old 03-25-10, 09:05 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Screwball, Like I said before, I just got my first jig fish last summer. I have to say, it was one of the hardest techniques for me to learn, but my confidence in jigs grows every time I throw them, so don't give up!

BB
Old 03-25-10, 11:12 PM   #18
screwballl

yeah I have a few days camping this coming week so i will do some practising then...
Old 03-26-10, 04:12 PM   #19
Cavs1123

Thanks for the help guys

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.