Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-06, 03:19 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hooks

Does anyone change their crankbait hooks? Last year, I kept losing fish on my Rapala DTs. They actually came off the hook while swimming towards the boat or fell off as I tried to hoist them on the boat. Anyway, I replaced the original hooks with larger trebles (Gamakatsu size 4). It seemed to work.

So, now that it is cold (I really don't fish in the winter), I am going through my tackle and stuff. I am thinking about changing the hooks on all of my crankbaits that I use primarily for Largemouth and have hooks smaller than size 4s. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Will the action be stymied as a result of a heavier hook? Is this common-practice for the veteran fisherman on this forum?

I am interested to hear your thoughts.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 03:21 PM   #2
PowerBass

I normally try to buy the same size as whats on the bait now, but I usually get a better brand. I like the Eagle Claw Lazer Sharps(some will say it is not a good brand, but i beg to differ), or Gamakatzu
Old 01-22-06, 03:30 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I put the #6 Owner hooks on most of my crankbaits
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 03:34 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

Default Same size?

Powerbass, do you replace with the same size for all your cranks?

I really hate that some of my favorite cranks come with such small hooks. If you look at the expensive Lucky Crafts, they all have good size hooks. Why don't other manufactuer's use bigger hooks?

And while I am on the subject, why do jigheads often have smaller hooks for the lesser weights. For example, in most instances, I prefer 1/8 oz rather than 1/4 oz because I like slow fall with my tubes and plastics. Unfortunately, most of the 1/8 oz. jigheads have a size 2/0 hook. They should sell them with 3/0 or 4/0. Really, the size of the hook should have nothing to do with the weight. Anyway, that is just my opinion

Back to the subject, do you know of anyone replacing crankbait hooks with a larger size?
Old 01-22-06, 03:36 PM   #5
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Interesting you say about the DTs. I never lost a bass with the treble hooks on DTs.
Old 01-22-06, 03:40 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

JB, when I compare my lures to the Lucky Crafts, it seems that they use #4s. I am not saying that Lucky Craft is the standard for how all lures should be judged. It just seems that #6 is kinda small. Do you have any problems with the #6 hooks? Do you loose any action from your crankbait when you go up a size (I am assuming that the #6 is about one size up from the hooks that came on your original baits)?
Old 01-22-06, 03:43 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

Fish on,
Maybe you haven't had any problems with the DTs. But I gotta' tell ya', the fish in the lake where I had the problem are really smart. As soon as they are hooked they swim towards the boat and know how to jump to spit it out (even if I am keeping my slack in and the rod tip low). I swear that the Largemouth are taking lessons on how to spit a crank.

I know I am going to be made fun of for this post.
Old 01-22-06, 03:48 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Fish on,
I also forgot to mention that my main problem was with the DT-4s.
Old 01-22-06, 04:44 PM   #9
basstech

I was going to say because I know my DT-10's have #4 hooks. I like the hooks. I think it depends on the size of the bait that you're using to determine the size of the hook. Some baits I'll replace the #6 hooks with #8's. I generally don't have a problem holding good size bass with #8's. I do replace the majority of the hooks on my crank baits with Gamakatsu's and have done so for the last 14 years. I think tough the DT's series hooks are just as good. If you start putting say #4 hooks on a Bomber 6a, that will inhibit the action...but sometimes thats a good thing.
Old 01-22-06, 04:51 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

Basstech, I replaced the hook on the DT-4 with Gamakatsu trebles. The size 4 hooks are one size larger than the original front hook and about two sizes larger than the tail hooks. Perhaps the DT-10 has larger hooks. I really think the tail hooks on the DT-4s are kind of small. Don't you agree?
Old 01-22-06, 05:11 PM   #11
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I had walleye do that a ton this year on tubes. They rushed a dock and then when they got to the dock they would turn and start fighting HARD and pulling my drag. Then I usually lost them.
Old 01-22-06, 05:18 PM   #12
zooker

i change 99% of the treble hooks off cranks adding mustad tripple grips..

wishing try editing your post huh..

zooker
Old 01-22-06, 06:45 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

Default Reply to Fish On

I guess the walleye that you're catching (or not catching) are attending the same class, "Introduction to Spitting Lures 101".
Old 01-22-06, 06:47 PM   #14
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

Have you tried the new sure set series by Rapala yet?
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 06:48 PM   #15
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
Powerbass, do you replace with the same size for all your cranks?

I really hate that some of my favorite cranks come with such small hooks. If you look at the expensive Lucky Crafts, they all have good size hooks. Why don't other manufactuer's use bigger hooks?

And while I am on the subject, why do jigheads often have smaller hooks for the lesser weights. For example, in most instances, I prefer 1/8 oz rather than 1/4 oz because I like slow fall with my tubes and plastics. Unfortunately, most of the 1/8 oz. jigheads have a size 2/0 hook. They should sell them with 3/0 or 4/0. Really, the size of the hook should have nothing to do with the weight. Anyway, that is just my opinion

Back to the subject, do you know of anyone replacing crankbait hooks with a larger size?
i try to find the size that was on the the lure already. Hypothetically, one lure has a 4 on it, I will try to buy 4's, but another lure could have a 6 and I will buy 6. I havnt done this in a while, I may need to do it again
Old 01-22-06, 06:51 PM   #16
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by basser087
Have you tried the new sure set series by Rapala yet?
I haven't. Are they any good? Much better than the Gamakatsu?
Old 01-22-06, 08:55 PM   #17
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

VMC makes the sure set trebles. Rapala uses VMC hooks, but you can purchase them from VMC for other brands of cranks. I haven't seen anything like them from Gamakatsu. They are the ones with one of the hooks on the treble larger and wider gapped than the others to prevent lost fish.

Treble hooks of all sizes can cause lost fish due to design. They allow leverage for the fish to pry free.

Sure sets seem like they's help with the problem. I'm getting some to try out.
Old 01-23-06, 01:57 PM   #18
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

ive never had to change the treble hooks on my rapala DT lures or any rapala lures actually, but i always always change them on any of the cheaper crankbaits. if you are changing the hooks its usually never a bad idea, because the treble hooks you buy separately are usually better quality than the ones that already come on the lures.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 03:32 PM   #19
JB

I like the owner stinger trebes and also whats on the rattling rogue, those dern hooks are sticky they are so sharp...
Excalibur Dressed Rotating Treble Hooks
Old 01-23-06, 03:34 PM   #20
JB

zooker,
I may have to try those mustad hooks, they will do the job fer sure!

Old 01-23-06, 06:34 PM   #21
bassnman30

I use Owner hooks. They come in various sizes and are strong. Don't really prefer the EWG hooks. They (I think) bend too far towards the main shaft. I prefer round hooks, but thats just my opinion.
Some baits can handle larger hooks while it may hinder the effects of other baits. When I change to larger hooks, I normally change just the front hooks.
Old 01-23-06, 07:20 PM   #22
Wishing2BFishing

I am more confused than ever. It seems that everyone has their own preference regarding whether to replace the crank hooks and if so, which brand. I guess I will stick to what I was doing, which is replacing my hooks with one size bigger. It worked on my DT's and had less lost fish. I am just hoping that it doesn't affect the action on the other cranks. I guess I need to experiment.
Old 01-23-06, 07:50 PM   #23
lizardsrule

How many if any of you have just removed the front hook altogether, and upsized the rear hook. I also prefer the Mustad Triple Grips, got that tip from ole ILBassin, who kicked my butt fishing cranks while I was using PJN, and lizards LOL.

Lizards
Old 01-23-06, 07:51 PM   #24
JB

At the very least then , take a file and sharpen those existing hooks on your crankbaits, try to run the hooks point over your thumbnail, if it slides, its dull, if its sharp, it digs in..
What anglers on here are saying is that the hooks that come with the lure are not the primo sharpest hooks out there, so the angler prefers to replace them. Don't get hung up by brands, treble hooks of that good quality are usually sold in your better tackle shops , so my advise to you would be sharpen the ones you have, and then experiment with the brands mentioned if you want to see the diference.
Old 01-23-06, 07:53 PM   #25
JB

Lizards,
I see what you mean , but its nice when that front treble hooks into the side of the bass's mouth for "extra insurance" while the back treb does the job on some meatier part o' ol lunker lips .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.